Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady A-Tip Bullets

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hornady A-Tip Bullets

Supposed to be impressive due to reduced BC variations (bullet to bullet) and they're packaged in manufacturing sequence.

We'll shoot some this weekend.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What’s the skinny on these? Difference between ELDM and AMAX? (I think the ELDM and amax are suspiciously too similar...)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Aluminum tips. The bullets are expensive to make, and thus purchase. Pappabear got a batch in 6.5 that we'll shoot.

There's 20 minute video by Hornady that explains it all, and it sounds promising. They sent these to shooters who subbed them into existing loads, and got great results at long range due to more consistent drag from bullet to bullet.

I'm hoping to see 6.5cm become more consistent at our 1300 yard target. We've not had thrilling results up to this point other than a few good runs with S&B blaster ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    We are more excited to get our hands-on the 30 cal 230 grain variety. They changed the shape of these bullets and the tip. You tube has multiple videos. They also make a 250 grain in A tip. But it supposedly requires a different barrel twist, time will tell. They are back ordered everywhere.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yes. The shape is different which requires some bullet seating stems to be replaced so you don't seat off of the tip. LE Wilson's seater stem didn't have that problem.

I'm not a BC fanatic at all... but we did compare the BC on these at 135 gr, and they matched up pretty close to the BC of the 143 grain ELD. In other words, 8 grain lighter bullet with pretty much the same BC.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Mark, which recipes were you using for the 135's and 143's?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Aluminum tips. The bullets are expensive to make, and thus purchase.
    WOW! I figured expensive for Hornady, but at 50% higher than Bergers, they better fly very well and be forgiving to load.
    Last edited by sjoliat; 06-16-19 at 13:44.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So I screwed up with this first attempt and simply subbed the 135s into the 143 load which is 41.0 grains of 4350. We were clearly out of a good node because we both shot several rounds and got a lot of vertical stringing.

The bullets did shoot well at 100, but no question, there was vertical issues on paper and out at 1300. Will bump that load up and try to hit a node. We favor heavier bullets and won't likely re-order this weight again. But I'll still try to make them sing.

Last edited by markm; 06-17-19 at 13:58.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Strange day, we also did a load of 300WM with a new loader and they were hot. Normally our 220's are 2887fps, these were over 3k- smoking and not as accurate. We couldn't find a node to save our 110 degree asses.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Those A tips sure are good looking. Been following them for a while now even though they just were released for the public. The 230s and 250s seem like a winner for the 30 boomers. Especially the 300 Norma Mag with the 250s. Excited to see what those can do at distance. If the 230s ever show up I'm going to give them a go in my 300 PRC behind RL26. Seems like I can get the velocity up without the pressure with the 26.

The 135s have a lot of appeal to me for my 6.5 PRC. The 153s look good also, but the 4% increase in BC over the 147s don't justify the cost for me. I am curious how these things do.

Ill have to bring a rifle or two down to AZ on my next trip to check out your guys range/setup.
    Philippians 4:13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast