Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady A-Tip Bullets

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Those A tips sure are good looking. Been following them for a while now even though they just were released for the public. The 230s and 250s seem like a winner for the 30 boomers. Especially the 300 Norma Mag with the 250s. Excited to see what those can do at distance. If the 230s ever show up I'm going to give them a go in my 300 PRC behind RL26. Seems like I can get the velocity up without the pressure with the 26.

The 135s have a lot of appeal to me for my 6.5 PRC. The 153s look good also, but the 4% increase in BC over the 147s don't justify the cost for me. I am curious how these things do.

Ill have to bring a rifle or two down to AZ on my next trip to check out your guys range/setup.
    Your welcome to come anytime. But get that PRC built first.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    High price MIGHT be worth it beyond 1000 yards. Normal ranges out to 5-600 or so don't think you'll see any vast improvements.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel44114 View Post
    High price MIGHT be worth it beyond 1000 yards. Normal ranges out to 5-600 or so don't think you'll see any vast improvements.
    Yes agreed. Probably 1,000 yards and beyond for sure. The ELD’s are remarkable IMHO. And at this price they are going to be 1,000 yard plus bangers. Sure we’ll play closer in, at the start. But after understanding them completely, I’d suggest 1,000+ bullets.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-25-19 at 17:25.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Gentlemen, please keep up the good work.

I'm especially intrigued by the 1K+ factor with the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mark spun up some 230 grain sickness today and it worked out much better than our 6.5 loads. We dropped our charge from 74.5 (which was hot in our last lot of powder in 220's and 225's ELD-X'-Ms. ) Dropped down to 74 grains of H1K. ADG brass on Win Lrg Rifle primers.

We stacked some rounds at 200 yards and got 2838 FPS with 230 grains. This load took our DOPE from 10.5+ to 10.0 Mils at 1,300 yards. And we were right at 2,900 fps with our 225's and we still dropped our DOPE.

Probably a good 1 mile load. Now to find a mile to shoot.

PB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. These are nice bullets. A real, no B.S. shave of .5 mils at 1300. Pappabear smacked the target on our first attempt too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    This look cool, and are much cheaper than turned solids, and cheaper. But for me I can’t get over the expense. I don’t like shooting multiple loads in the same rifle, dealing with zero shifts, etc. If I can’t feed the rifle a steady diet of a bullet without going in the poor house, I don’t get too horny for them.

Shooting further is definitely a plus, in that it’s a giggle moment. But how does the bullet perform when it comes to killing stuff? How do they compare to the more-affordable EOLs that are awesome at killing things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Shooting further is definitely a plus, in that it’s a giggle moment. But how does the bullet perform when it comes to killing stuff? How do they compare to the more-affordable EOLs that are awesome at killing things?
    That's a good question. I've seen nothing about it being designed for any type of hunting. As far as sniper/terrorizer application.... almost any bulllet in the reach of 300wm is going to let the air out of them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's a good question. I've seen nothing about it being designed for any type of hunting. As far as sniper/terrorizer application.... almost any bulllet in the reach of 300wm is going to let the air out of them.
    Yes indeed it will.

But isn’t Hornady just marketing them to consumers at this point?

I don’t get to hunt terrorists. These days I’m getting older and fatter and my main concerns are shooting my food and paper or steel targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    But isn’t Hornady just marketing them to consumers at this point?
    Yes. As far as I know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast