Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaft (Review) 👍😎👍

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Shaft (Review) 👍😎👍

As there's a part II coming out from the 2000 remake of Shaft I figured I should check out the first one. I never saw the remake as the original is a 70's classic, and I assumed it was gonna suck. I was wrong. Shaft actually has a plot, Samuel L. Jackson is well cast as Shaft, good supporting cast, some good one liners, and silly good fun is had. The big action chase scene at the end pushes the "suspension of disbelief" hard, but does not ruin and otherwise fun movie. Really interesting seeing a really young now mega star like Christian Bale as the lead bad guy too. B+

Side Note: One odd thing about this movie for "gun people" is he used compact Kahr pistols all through this movie, which I'm assuming was a pad for plant by Kahr. It really didn't fit. Shaft would use a 1911 or perhaps a Colt Python for visual effect, not some little sub compact pistol!

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I like how Richard Roundtree has a cameo in it. They say the new Shaft isn't doing too well at the box office but I thought it looked good. Probably a little to much comedy in the new one but some of the teaser scenes are funny.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    I like how Richard Roundtree has a cameo in it. They say the new Shaft isn't doing too well at the box office but I thought it looked good. Probably a little to much comedy in the new one but some of the teaser scenes are funny.
    Not sure how the 2000 one above did, but waiting 19 years to do another didn't help I'd think.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I think the Kahr was a legit backup gun for NYPD at the time. But I wouldn't doubt the product placement.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I think the Kahr was a legit backup gun for NYPD at the time. But I wouldn't doubt the product placement.
    Good little pistols, but it it was a visual mismatch big time.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Samuel L Jackson can kiss my ass

Feedback Score
    Scathing review here:

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...he-box-office/

Samuel L. Jackson’s Shaft had been projected to land in the $15 to $20 million range. In the real world it crash landed at $8 million.

Eight million for a name brand with a name star opening in nearly 2400 theaters.

How is that even possible?

Well, for whatever lunatic reason, Warner Bros. decided to turn a 48-year-old franchise built on grit and testosterone into a lame family sitcom.

The original Shaft, the 1971 masterpiece that currently sits at number 59 on my list of the greatest American movies of all time, personified cool, sex, masculinity, and what it means to be one man against the system. And while I’m as much of a purist as any rabid movie fan, that doesn’t mean I’m unreasonable. For example, John Singleton’s 2000 sequel/remake, which is also called Shaft, is pretty freakin’ great.

But when I saw the trailer for this-third-movie-called-Shaft — you gotta be kidding me. This is like turning the James Bond franchise into a musical, or Tootsie 2 into a psychological thriller, or Caddyshack 3 into a monster movie

What in the world was Warner Bros. thinking?

A franchise about a “bad mother-shut-your-mouth” is now The Aging Bickersons.

John Shaft, the John Shaft (The Mighty Richard Roundtree), the original bad mother-shut-your-mouth is now Bad Grandpa?

There’s a fan base for this brand. Back in 2000, Shaft opened to $22 million and I would have happily stood in line to watch Roundtree take his iconic character into 2019, but that trailer was flat-out depressing.

Shame on everyone.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Note my review is for 2000 movie. Not surprised the follow up is chit.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    There is a 0% chance I will see this movie.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    There is a 0% chance I will see this movie.
    I shall alert the media...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast