Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubriplate 130-a

Feedback Score

Lubriplate 130-a

I’ve tried to search and may have overlooked what I’m searching for. Not trying to make this more complicated than it is as I am more curious than anything. I am wanting to try grease on my AR’s and Handguns. The same grease, well almost, that was issues in the military. What concerns me is the Flash Rating/Temperature range on it. 200 degrees, I think it is for this. It’s great stuff, but just curious if running it on an AR compared to a “decent” oil would be good. Thanks for any info and again sorry if I am beating a dead horse.

Feedback Score
    If limited to trigger mechanism, then grease is probably OK. But don't think heavy grease around BCG in direct impingement AR is a good idea.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang01 View Post
    I’ve tried to search and may have overlooked what I’m searching for. Not trying to make this more complicated than it is as I am more curious than anything. I am wanting to try grease on my AR’s and Handguns. The same grease, well almost, that was issues in the military. What concerns me is the Flash Rating/Temperature range on it. 200 degrees, I think it is for this. It’s great stuff, but just curious if running it on an AR compared to a “decent” oil would be good. Thanks for any info and again sorry if I am beating a dead horse.
    So please explain why you want a high temperature grease? Grease is a soap whose function it is to hold oil. The soap, say lithium soap, releases its oil in one of two ways. It can do so by heat, melting it or by shear. So lets say on the rails of an AR in full auto the BCG moving over the rails in rapid succession cuts the grease, releasing the oil. But high temperature grease is made for things at high temperature while low temperature grease starts releasing oil at lower temperatures. So what are the temperatures for a bolt or rails? Certainly much cooler than in auto breaks or an auto engine. So my question is wouldn't you want a low temperature grease?

You give the flash point at 200 degrees seems unlikely to me. That grease may melt at 200 but flash point means "burn" and water boils at 210 degrees F. so something is wrong here.

What I am thinking of here is LSA which is a low temperature, semi-solid lithium grease. It was made this way on purpose.
    Last edited by Dr. Bullseye; 06-16-19 at 00:08.

Feedback Score
    @Dr Bullseye, I don’t know if I want a higher temperature grease, I have always used oils for lubrications, there temperature ratings are much higher, not that that means anything or is just a selling point. I don’t know how hot the BCG, or even the rails get from excessive shooting, I’ve never checked it. I know a bunch of folks run grease and have great success with it. I didn’t know or don’t understand or possibly thinking to hard about the fact that if for some reason it does get about the 200 degree mark it wouldn’t do it’s job, it may start breaking down it may migrate out or the viscosity might not be there anymore.

You bring up great points and that’s what I am looking for. I have read it’s great stuff, Grant Cunningham’s article is very helpful on this and was wanting some feedback on it. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm not familiar with the product you are considering. But, there are tons of lube threads on the site.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you are interested in trying Lubriplate’s products, google “Lubrikit”. That is where you will find their products that are suitable for firearms, in typical consumer quantities. I’ve been using their cheapest grease and oil kits for about a year or two, with no issues, on Grant Cunningham’s advice.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Lubriplate 130A was the original grease specified for the M14 (and maybe M1 Garand?). From what I've read, the chief reason that it was chosen was that it was the only grease tested that didn't wash off in a heavy downpour.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Lubriplate 130A was the original grease specified for the M14 (and maybe M1 Garand?). From what I've read, the chief reason that it was chosen was that it was the only grease tested that didn't wash off in a heavy downpour.
    M1s, M14s, and M1 Carbine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang01 View Post
    Just in case anyone is interested here are a couple of MSDS. One for Lubriplate 130A and another for *Shooter's Choice Grease. (*chosen randomly) There's not a lot of difference between the two so far as flash point is concerned. Note: In the OP's posting the temperature was listed as 200 degrees. He omitted the C for Celcius.

MSDS for Lubriplate 130-A.

Flash Point: Closed cup: 204°C (399.2°F)

Melting Point: 88 to 93°C (190.4 to 199.4°F)

Boiling Point: >288°C (>550.4°F)

Shooter's Choice Grease
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Just in case anyone is interested here are a couple of MSDS. One for Lubriplate 130A and another for *Shooter's Choice Grease. (*chosen randomly) There's not a lot of difference between the two so far as flash point is concerned. Note: In the OP's posting the temperature was listed as 200 degrees. He omitted the C for Celcius.

MSDS for Lubriplate 130-A.

Flash Point: Closed cup: 204°C (399.2°F)

Melting Point: 88 to 93°C (190.4 to 199.4°F)

Boiling Point: >288°C (>550.4°F)

Shooter's Choice Grease
    Thanks for that information and my mistake on not including the C. . That’s what I’m looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast