Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubriplate 130-a

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Just in case anyone is interested here are a couple of MSDS. One for Lubriplate 130A and another for *Shooter's Choice Grease. (*chosen randomly) There's not a lot of difference between the two so far as flash point is concerned. Note: In the OP's posting the temperature was listed as 200 degrees. He omitted the C for Celcius.

MSDS for Lubriplate 130-A.

Flash Point: Closed cup: 204°C (399.2°F)

Melting Point: 88 to 93°C (190.4 to 199.4°F)

Boiling Point: >288°C (>550.4°F)

Shooter's Choice Grease
    Celcius vs. Fahrenheit does answer the temperature inconsistency. I had a tube of Lubriplate years ago but never used it on firearms. It was soft, white, easy to spread. Brownells sells Lubriplate so it can't be all bad.

Feedback Score
    You can certainly use grease on the sliding surfaces of the bolt carrier, but excessive application can cause issues when the weapon gets dirty and dry. Basically, just a very thin coating. So thin that it looks transparent. This is not a replacement for oil/lube, IMO.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    M1s, M14s, and M1 Carbine.

Sinister,
    FWIW...I have a can of grease like yours in the picture with the same year of manufacture, Nov 1963...(month/year JFK was shot). I have been using for 30+ years. Mainly as a great rust preventative here in Louisiana.

Last year I did a lot of investigating to see what is the current military grease replacement of your grease is. I found that the Lubriplate 130-AA is the current military replacement for that can of grease. It is synthetic and from my basic experiments, it seems to protect against rust very well. I forget the differences between 130-A and 130-AA but there is a little difference.

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yep, I've used three different GI-issued rifle greases in those grease pots and cans: Lubriplate; Plastilube; and GAA (Grease, Automotive and Artillery).

I think my current Plastilube grease pot is from Camp Perry in 1999 for M1s and M14s.

Feedback Score
    I use Lubriplate 130A on semi-auto pistol slide rails, Mini 14 bolt and op rod and spring, AR15 buffer tube spring and BCG exterior (I use a heavy gun oil in/on the bolt itself), AR15 charging handle, bolt gun bolts, etc. Oil as well in appropriate areas.

Anywhere you might use grease you can also use a dry lube (or a drying lube) if you’re willing to work with it.

It’s important to realize if your can’t keep oil applied by a flow or reservoir it rapidly migrates or splatters off the surfaces you’re trying to lubricate, it has to be continually supplied, entrapped, or reapplied.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    I forget the differences between 130-A and 130-AA but there is a little difference.
    Lubriplate makes a ton of products. The 130 series is calcium based, for applications not to exceed 170 degrees Fahrenheit. 130-A is NLGI-2.5, which is pretty thick, best suited for the wheel bearings on your Ford Bronco. 130-AA is considerably thinner at NLGI-1, and much better suited for general purpose firearms use.

If you're going to use one grease for all your guns, keep in mind that tiny pistols might not function as reliably with a heavy grease. I think the best Lubriplate choice is SFL-0. It's an aluminum complex grease with a thickness of NLGI-0. Even better, it's good to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    If you're going to use one grease for all your guns, keep in mind that tiny pistols might not function as reliably with a heavy grease. I think the best Lubriplate choice is SFL-0. It's an aluminum complex grease with a thickness of NLGI-0. Even better, it's good to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
    This is the one I’ve been using
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12