Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help diagnosing multiple issues today

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Sure enough, lodged under the spring.

I haven’t seen anything on inspecting, but did notice when I first got it that the bolt doesn’t easily return to battery when hand cycling. I didn’t think much of it since that was just by hahd, but it’s still doing it now and I’m wondering if maybe there’s a bur in there somewhere or something else is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not saying this super critically - the trend is to shot AR's whole bunches without cleaning, just keeping them well-lubed - I think folks missed that the point of Filthy-Fourteen.

I'd give the rifle a good, thorough cleaning. lube it up, and start from there.

Did you have to take out the FCG to get the primer out?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Help diagnosing multiple issues today

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Not returning to battery would explain the no-fires.
    You know I usually incorporate a press check and tap on the forward assist after doing an admin reload but have gotten away from that. Looking back, I know for a fact that I pulled the CH before checking to see if the bolt was fully in battery on those no fires. One of them was definitely with good ammo too, FGMM maybe. I know it wasn’t the PPU because I was shocked that it happened with the good stuff I was shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm not saying this super critically - the trend is to shot AR's whole bunches without cleaning, just keeping them well-lubed - I think folks missed that the point of Filthy-Fourteen.

Did you have to take out the FCG to get the primer out?
    No, but I did have to use a long Allen wrench because it was definitely wedged in there. The lower is undoubtedly dirty but the upper is brand new.

Last edited by Wake27; 06-16-19 at 20:08.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Help diagnosing multiple issues today

Double.
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-16-19 at 20:08.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Unless you've shot literally thousands of suppressed rounds, a dirty lower is not going to cause any problems. It certainly didn't cause any of OPs problems in question imho.

I've shot about 100rds thus far of Hornady Black 75gr. as it's exceptionally accurate in my barrels, and haven't had any blown primers.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    If it's your new KAC, then the A5 setup with the A5H2/A5H3 buffers might be a bit too heavy. KAC uppers are finely tuned. I tried my Mod1 upper on a lower with a H2 buffer and it was no bueno with AE223. Switched back to the factory lower(SR15 buffer is ~2.96oz) and the problems went away.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    Unless you've shot literally thousands of suppressed rounds, a dirty lower is not going to cause any problems. It certainly didn't cause any of OPs problems in question imho.

I've shot about 100rds thus far of Hornady Black 75gr. as it's exceptionally accurate in my barrels, and haven't had any blown primers.
    I’m sure that primer came from the PPU. That stuff has not grouped too well in any of my guns and has had a good amount of fliers so I’m sure it was the problem there. My response to IG above was just saying that up until that point, I would’ve considered it known quality because the function had been fine for most of a case.

Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    If it's your new KAC, then the A5 setup with the A5H2/A5H3 buffers might be a bit too heavy. KAC uppers are finely tuned. I tried my Mod1 upper on a lower with a H2 buffer and it was no bueno with AE223. Switched back to the factory lower(SR15 buffer is ~2.96oz) and the problems went away.
    If that was the case, wouldn’t it struggle to lock back on an empty mag? I thought that was usually the first indicator of too much buffer. Also, that wouldn’t explain the round getting stuck in the chamber would it?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    I picked up one of the KAC stripped lowers a year or to ago and read a lot about this issue. I built it with the carbine extension with KAC buffer. No problems at all with the SR15 upper and runs like a top.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    My understanding was that the 14.5s need the KAC buffer, so they come with it, but the 16s don’t.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Worth repeating. It's amazing what a good cleaning and lubrication does for these kind of issues. Also, with 6-8K on the lower it's probably time for some fresh springs just as a PM measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Worth repeating. It's amazing what a good cleaning and lubrication does for these kind of issues. Also, with 6-8K on the lower it's probably time for some fresh springs just as a PM measure.
    Is it worth repeating a third time that the upper is brand new? Or do you believe that it really does need to be cleaned that thoroughly after receiving from the factory?

I agree on the springs though, I actually just pulled my buffer spring and compared it against a new one. It’s about half an inch short. My assumption is the same as above though - if it was a buffer/spring issue, then wouldn’t I be likely to have failures to lock back on an empty mag? And it doesn’t explain the round stuck in the chamber?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast