Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy with a question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Doesn't the mid length charge the gas system a tiny bit slower easing ejection?
    You have increased dwell time which should ease ejection and overall parts wear on the rifle from my understanding

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't waste too much time worrying about gas systems, incorrect understandings of dwell times, gas port sizes, tuning and such forum silliness. Pick a quality gun(either Colt you spoke of are good) and just shoot it.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Don't waste too much time worrying about gas systems, incorrect understandings of dwell times, gas port sizes, tuning and such forum silliness. Pick a quality gun(either Colt you spoke of are good) and just shoot it.
    Silliness? I dont think so. Knowing how my rifle works and at least some of the specs is required IMO.

Feedback Score
    I joined this forum to learn about serious “fighting quality” rifles as well. Got plenty of good advice and spent many months researching threads before I bought anything. Early on one word of advice was “if you don’t want to spend time researching just buy a Colt 6920”. Well I ended up with that in the end anyway but I’m glad I spent the time to learn and I recommend you do the same. There are WAY more quality options out there now.

That said, if I was looking for my first quality fighting rifle today, I would strongly consider the Colt CCU as some others mentioned. It has got practically everything you need and nothing you don’t. What Colt should have been making 10 years ago.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Silliness? I dont think so. Knowing how my rifle works and at least some of the specs is required IMO.
    Factory specs? Sure.

I was talking specifically about the silly crap spouted in these threads that generally devolve into a debates with a bunch of internet operators claiming every gun needs to be tuned into barely functioning gamer guns with minimum sized gas ports and and 80 different buffer and action spring combinations.

Shoot. The. Gun.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    I tried to look up the CCU but the page has been removed from Colt's website.

Does the Trooper have the same barrel as the 6920? Or is it the pencil barrel?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You will probably be able to locate the LE6960 specs you're looking for by viewing the product pages of resellers, or by asking here. I've only had the CCU upper for about a month, but like it so far. I plan to take it and the Trooper to an indoor range sometime this week for a comparison.

The LE6920-R does use the same barrel as a standard LE6920. The pinned A2 FSB is cut down and shaved to fit under the Centurion-sourced handguard.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    midlength hype is just like the .40cal hype

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
    midlength hype is just like the 9mm hype
    FIFY...
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocknoggin View Post
    Hi, just joined the forum and I have a question. A friend recently bought a Colt M4 Carbine and let me try it, and now I want one. It was the first time I'd shot any type of AR. Last 'black rifle' I shot was an M16A2 when I was in the Army (got out 25 years ago). I like my friend's M4, it functions flawlessly. But the M4 Trooper caught my eye. I started doing some digging and I'm running into lots of terminology I've never heard of. What's the difference between a mid-length gas system and carbine gassed? And which does these two have? I heard someone say mid-length is better but I don't know why.
    M4 and trooper both have carbine gas.
    Midlength gas for a 16” barrel may be better theorietically, but there are a lot of variables. If you buy from a quality manufacturer like colt, its safe to assume everything is made correctly for the system it is built with.

Since you are new- reliability should be your only concern. Get one and practice with it.

Edit: carbine gas has the gas block 7” down the barrel, midlength has the gas block 9” down the barrel (from the receiver end).
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-17-19 at 20:51.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast