Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New guy with a question

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    FIFY...
    not really. just like the 40cal was an in-between solution for the 9mm and 45cal. the mid-length is something they came up with for range and compactness.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
    not really. just like the 40cal was an in-between solution for the 9mm and 45cal. the mid-length is something they came up with for range and compactness.
    I'll just leave these here:

http://the-eye.eu/public/murdercube....%20tnote48.htm

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/14...d-performance/
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    That said, if I was looking for my first quality fighting rifle today, I would strongly consider the Colt CCU as some others mentioned. It has got practically everything you need and nothing you don’t. What Colt should have been making 15 years ago.
    FTFY.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    You will probably be able to locate the LE6960 specs you're looking for by viewing the product pages of resellers, or by asking here. I've only had the CCU upper for about a month, but like it so far. I plan to take it and the Trooper to an indoor range sometime this week for a comparison.
    I'll save you the trouble: The 6960 is softer shooting, better balanced, a hair lighter with better furniture (IMO).

Thank you. I've been looking for that Armalite Tech Note for a while...

TLDR: Carbine gas was a poor engineering choice that was largely a carryover from the early shorty M16s and then largely perpetuated because "muh mil-spec". A couple decades of GWOT and civilian interest has mitigated quite a lot of the issues (correcting gas drive via port size or do-dads, buffer/spring kits, extractor upgrade kits, enhanced bolts and carriers) but there is zero reason not to buy a mid or intermediate length over carbine gas system in 2019 for 14.5+ barrels.
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 06-18-19 at 10:51. Reason: updated comments
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score

YO OP! My .02 for Serious Consideration

The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what's up with the church comment or the fishing video, but thanks for the other replies.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There's nothing wrong with a 6920, they are solid guns, but I don't ever see myself buying another carbine gas or buffer system on a 14.5" or 16" barrel carbine. I've moved to the mid gas and A5 buffer system, when properly built it is a better setup.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    LMAO.... Sorry Rocknoggin, It was supposed to be a video of "Sootch and his review Savage's Awesome MSR15"... I'll try and pull it back up, I did a copy and paste... SO I have NO idea WTHeck happened?

I hope this works this time.... Which by the way is why My Title to you IS: YO OP! My .02 for Serious Consideration
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WWUjw9AQ-U

OK... It took this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknoggin View Post
    I'm not sure what's up with the church comment or the fishing video, but thanks for the other replies.
    Last edited by RVTMaverick; 06-19-19 at 06:44. Reason: To add video

Feedback Score
    Well, the Trooper is a no go. Colt is out of stock and every place I've tried is the same. No distributors have any in stock and no one can order one until Colt makes another batch. So I ordered a 6940 instead. Should be here within a week.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think the 6920-R Trooper was a relatively limited run to get rid of OEM2 6920 barrels (shaved FSB) but I hope they make them again.

At the price point of $700-800, it crushed the other options out there like the CCU which went for $1200-ish with middie gas, Magpul furniture and a better Centurion rail (extra screw and integral QDs).

Yeah, middie gas is 'better', but for the price the 6920-R Trooper was a great rifle. I have one and it's rapidly become a favorite of mine.

If you are jonesing for a CCU, Brownells sells the upper for $599 and with 10% off sales, you can get it for $540 (no CH or BCG).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocknoggin View Post
    Well, the Trooper is a no go. Colt is out of stock and every place I've tried is the same. No distributors have any in stock and no one can order one until Colt makes another batch. So I ordered a 6940 instead. Should be here within a week.
    I had a 6940 and it was a laser beam. You shall love that gun, well done. It was my first black rifle. Excellent purchase.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast