Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New guy with a question

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I spent several years being best friends with a M4A1 with KAC 7” handguard. That was the one thing I wanted most to change about the weapon. I was elated to find that handguards were growing in length.

It matters a lot less if you don’t use a light and PEQ, I suppose. Put on some slim covers like the Magpul or Ergo ladders and rock on.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-24-19 at 14:57. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocknoggin View Post
    Then why does everyone recommend a 6920 as a first rifle?
    I believe largely because this is 'M4 CARBINE,net.'

It is true the 6920 is a good starter rifle, especially if you are going to use irons.

Generally folks who come onto the forum asking 'what should I get? are new to the AR and the 6920 will serve them well. They likely won't develop into weekly or daily shooters, instead becoming the typical 'shot a hundred rounds when I bought it, and 20 rounds each year, unless I forget' type of shooter. A 6920 will serve them well, it is reliable, and will give them solid serviceability throughout the years.

If someone develops as a shooter, more than likely that 6920 will either: 1) maintain an honored space in the safe as the first rifle I bought; 2) be traded/sold for something different; 3) have the upper converted to a free-float rail and, in most cases rebarreled.

If you look back through the archives of this forum (search just buy a 6920) you will find that folks have submitted the rifle to numerous trials and tribulations to prove their point. From their perspective. From my perspective, leaving a rifle out in bad weather, running over it with a truck, or shooting it several thousand rounds with out cleaning, have very little to do with convincing me the 6920 is the Rifle.

From my perspective there are several things I would like to know about a shooter before making a blanket recommendation:

1) What is the intended use? Strictly home defense? Probably a solid choice. Prairie dog blasting or ringing metal at 400 to 600 yards? Probably not optimal, I would steer you to something else. You get my drift.

2) Age. At some point everyone's vision begins to deteriorate, normally a condition called presbyopia it is the normal loss of ability to focus on near objects. It often makes use of standard iron sights on pistols and rifles with any degree of precision difficult, if not impossible. Looking through a reduced rear aperture may mitigate the condition, but is generally something competitive service rifle shooters utilize. Likewise, presbyopia causes the reddots to flair/blossom. This reduces accuracy. Is it good enough for HD distances - probably, not certainly.

So if you are approaching 40, or wear reading glasses or bifocals, I'd recommend a scope, generally a LPVO (low power variable optic), or, an etched reticle optic as the answer.

IMO, a front sight intruding into the optic is an unnecessary intrusion when using optics. There have been great strides made in the design and manufacturing of optics, reasonably priced one are reliable. As a result, many, myself included do not run BUIS (back up iron sights) on weapons with optics. This eliminates an unmodified 6920 from the list of preferred first rifles.

Experience, The learning curve is easier with an optic than it is with iron sights. If you aren't already comfortable with aperture iron sights, I'd steer you to the optic. Once again moving the 6920 down the list of preferred starter rifles. It is also easier IMO to learn to shoot rifles if you can 'spread out' a little with your support hand. Something the short carbine rails aren't known for.

I hope my explanation makes sense to you. I have listed why I feel that the 692 is not the go to first rifle for all folks.

BTW, your 6940, hits the optics box with it's folding front sight and Magpul BUIS - you should be able to use any optic configuration you want, within reason. As I mentioned earlier, if you are putting a light and a laser designator on the handguard, that carbine handguard is going to get crowded, fast.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-24-19 at 14:49.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I believe largely because this is 'M4 CARBINE,net.'
    I meant generally speaking, not just here. But thanks for all the info, I'm making a note of everything.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocknoggin View Post
    Then why does everyone recommend a 6920 as a first rifle?
    Because the rifle is a known quantity and it works. The 6920 gives the shooter, whether they are a first time AR owner or one with years of experience, a solid foundation to build on. It's easier to recommend a rifle that has all the basics right than to give a grocery list of things to look for when buying something like a RRA, Bushy, PSA or other similar brand.

You did right deciding what rifle you wanted and getting it. Now, you can get to shooting instead of spending weeks and months agonizing over the details before buying anything. It's possible you'll like the monolithic upper just fine. It's also possible that you'll decide you want something else. But you'll find out by actually shooting the rifle. You can't buy experience. You can't internet experience, either.

When I first got started modifying and building ARs, I decided I wanted free float tubes on everything. However, free float tubes can be expensive. One build was delayed because I couldn't afford the free float tube I wanted. Finally, I just bought a MOE handguard and got to shooting. I've been shooting that build for years and it still doesn't have a free float tube. I learned more getting the drop in handguards and to shooting than if I waited until I could afford a free float tube.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-25-19 at 01:33.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345