Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington: partial summer shutdown at their plants

Feedback Score

Remington: partial summer shutdown at their plants

Wasn't aware that this was a thing at Remington:

"Nearly 700 workers at two Remington Arms factories will be on a forced vacation this summer, mostly without pay, as the company shuts down several manufacturing lines for two months. The summer shutdown is occurring at the Ilion and Huntsville plants, leaving many employees out of work until early August. Remington has been struggling in recent years after emerging from bankruptcy and operating in a soft firearms manufacturing market."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mmer-shutdown/
    Last edited by Slater; 06-18-19 at 05:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They need lean ownership & management.

Feedback Score
    A two month shut down is interesting, and a very long time.

I work for a large company that manufactures and we have a yearly shutdown but it is for 2 weeks.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wonder how many employees had prepared for a possible shutdown?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I wonder how many employees had prepared for a possible shutdown?
    They knew it was coming- I work with several. Also- theyve had to repay back some tax incentives they were given because they never met the hiring/pay quotas they promised. SHYSTERS. I live about 3 miles from the plant, and the stories Im told from ex employees are chilling. I personally dont look for them to re-open. They need to liquidate and go away. OR- get bought by someone who has the capital & know-how to return them to the days of yore..you know..pre-2007.
    Also-here in Madison County we have 3% un-employment. JOBS EVERYWHERE- ALL OVER. Those that wanted to keep working are.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 06-18-19 at 17:05.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went to a doctor and he said “hey I got good news and bad news. You have hardcore 1980s level San Francisco bath house grade AIDS but you also got a free Remington 700 ADL”

Well I jumped off that table and said “I’LL BE DAMNED IF I’M GOING TO LET THIS RUIN MY QUALITY OF LIFE!”

So I tossed the Remington into a river

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Wasn't aware that this was a thing at Remington:

"Nearly 700 workers at two Remington Arms factories will be on a forced vacation this summer, mostly without pay, as the company shuts down several manufacturing lines for two months. The summer shutdown is occurring at the Ilion and Huntsville plants, leaving many employees out of work until early August. Remington has been struggling in recent years after emerging from bankruptcy and operating in a soft firearms manufacturing market."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mmer-shutdown/
    I have no idea what the labor laws are in Alabama. However, in New Yorkistan if you get laid off, you don't get paid for the first week, after that you get unemployment. The Ilion workers are union so they most likely have language in their contract for situations like this.

I'd like to see Remington get bought by someone that's serious about running a firearms manufacture. As much as I'd hate to see it, I don't think the Ilion plant is going to be around much longer. The plant (the building itself) is ancient and they built or bought that plant in Alabama which is supposed to have double the manufacturing capacity....and they don't have cuomo and friends in Bama.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My office is very close to Remington in Alabama and it is a very large plant. I want to say Chrysler owned the building up to the 2008 crash and Obama mandated reorgs. I hope they pull out of this slump, we need all the manufacturing we can get here.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I went to a doctor and he said “hey I got good news and bad news. You have hardcore 1980s level San Francisco bath house grade AIDS but you also got a free Remington 700 ADL”

Well I jumped off that table and said “I’LL BE DAMNED IF I’M GOING TO LET THIS RUIN MY QUALITY OF LIFE!”

So I tossed the Remington into a river
    This is funny stuff.

In the TFB comments, there was a claim that the facilities shutdown are the ones that produce the Bushmasters and the 1911 clones. I’m curious to hear more detail on that. I thought that both of those were among the few models/brands that have still been selling well. I base this idea on no evidence whatsoever, just a few random anecdotes.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    My office is very close to Remington in Alabama and it is a very large plant. I want to say Chrysler owned the building up to the 2008 crash and Obama mandated reorgs. I hope they pull out of this slump, we need all the manufacturing we can get here.
    Yes, it was the old Chrysler plant. They made electrical components there. Somewhere in 2002 to 2004 time frame Chrysler sold the plant to Siemens. They ran it for a while and ended up closing it and moving production to Mexico. During that same time Chrysler sold and/or closed a bunch of parts component plants.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast