Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been wanting a .300 Blackout for acouple years now, BUT Now I have another Issue

Feedback Score

Cool I've been wanting a .300 Blackout for acouple years now, BUT Now I have another Issue

Hey Guys!
    As the Title reads... I have another issue now, and that IS.... I am wondering if a 9mm Carbine, 16" Total OAL would be better or.... I know it comes down to what I plan to do with it.. but dam man, they're both so cool yes/no? As far a buying 1, I am finely pretty much ready to pull the trigger on 1.
    You guys who have both, knowing what You know now, which would you buy 1st, and would you even buy the 2nd?

I would love to have a 9mm carbine, I think this seems to be killer blaster! Cheap ammo, Blasting away with a Muffler or without, would be awesome! (In both Calibers )

However, before I even gave a 9mm AR a look, My thoughts for acouple years has been, My desire for a .300 Blackout, with a Suppressor installed, in My mind would be 1 of the Best Home Defense weapons, if not maybe the Best? Not to mention the Hunting aspect of the .300 Blackout...
    I believe this IS the way I will actually end up going, unless I read something here I might be missing..?

A penny for your thoughts..

TIA
    Peace Mav

PS> I did try the "Search" a few different ways (9mm vs.300 Blackout) and came up with ZERO.
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    If I just wanted a blaster to go shoot and have fun with, I'd go 9mm. The ammo will be much less expensive.

If I wanted to ever hunt anything with it, or use it as a defensive weapon, I'd go .300. Ammo cost will be much higher, but the round will be much more effective.

My home defense gun is a .300 Blackout SBR. (110 gr Vortx) It's the most effective short barreled round I could find.

That said, it's for a single purpose. I can't afford to stack it deep in that caliber. My SHTF gun is a 5.56. Cheaper to buy for, and easier to find later. Not as effective out of a short barrel maybe, but not buy a long shot, and I'm starting to gain on my 7.62 stash that's priced right around .300 money, but even harder hitting.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I have both 300blk and 9mm SBRs. Here are some of my thoughts;

The 9mm is a hoot to shoot, more so with my Gemtech GM45 on it. But so are my several 300blk SBRs, especially with one of my cans on them.

Subsonic suppressed out of my 300blk seem a bit more hushed than the 9mm, but I have no empirical data for that.

The 300blk guns are more reliable; I get a few failure to feed issues with the 9mm but I haven’t spent any effort to analyze why and correct it.

9mm ammo is lots cheaper.

For hunting and defense the 300blk is head and shoulders above the 9mm. I use the Barnes 110gr blacktip. Others load rounds with this bullet, and I see Black Hills does now, too.

For subsonic hunting and defense, you get much better ballistics out of the more streamlined 300blk, and, at 200gr (give or take) you get more energy and, thus, potentially better penetration than the lighter 9mm loads.

SO, I think the 300blk will be more versatile and my 300blk guns get way more use than the 9mm.

But hell, get the 300blk and conversion parts so you can swap out and have both.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Daddyusmaximus is spot on. There is no reason you can't buy both. Spend your money on the 300 and pick up a cheap PSA 9mm. They work and you not going to use for anything other than plinking.

I have both and shoot the 300 way more. 300 is my primary HD gun. My 9mm ar is cool and if I was in a jam you could load it with 30 rounds of HST and you would get the job done but 300 and 556 are a FAR better option.
    Last edited by themonk; 06-18-19 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Best home defense weapon? Not in my opinion. However, much better than nothing in most cases. Of the two, I'd go with the .300blk if you're speaking of sbr / pistol length.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, pretty much what I was thinking... but it's cool to hear from you guys that have both.
    I hope to have both 1 day too.

Hey bamashooter, I said >1< of the best..

What's your choice for home defense?

Feedback Score
    I have SBR and non-SBR, and suppressed and unsuppressed versions of both.

The suppressed SBR 9mm gets the most use because I am most frequently shooting at the indoor range around the corner from my house. It is cheaper, quieter, and has the same manual of arms. It has more devastating terminal effects on any paper target and cardboard backer than any 300BO or 5.56.

The nonSBR, unsuppressed 9mm gets the next most use for steel shoots/PCC competition across state lines because I don't want the NFA hassles.

The suppressed, SBR 300BO brings a lot of capability to the table, but it is not required capability for the tasks at hand.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If 9mm is desired, the Sig MPX would be my pick. It retains all the AR ergo without having a blow back system that yields too much recoil for a pistol round.

9mm ARs always HAD too much downside in the past (blow back recoil, lpk breakage, etc.)... not sure if they've improved over the last decade however.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    . I can also run the RDB 9mm upper on my SBR with the CMMG ARC 9 magazines. The 300 BLK is more effective for hunting and HD and I run a Surefire supperssor on it.I use a AAC Tirant 45 on the 9mm and it's really quiet and fun to shoot with my 147 hand loads.
    Last edited by ARx3; 08-13-19 at 00:27.
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    Thanks again Guys, Man, some of you are really SETUP, God Bless You!

FWIW: I was pondering 12.5" barreled 6.5 Grendel too.....
    Any of you have one of these and which would you take 1st, 6.5 Gren., or .300 Black?

ARx3, love your 300 setup!
    Last edited by RVTMaverick; 06-21-19 at 10:46.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast