If you don't need coms, aren't running under a helmet and could give an eff about LARPing:

Peltor ProTac Shooter - under a $100.00 on Amazon - 26db NRR - compression circuity - listen-only stereo input for connection to external devices (great for a part time gig mowing lawns or fueling aircraft) - voice guided menu - semi-sexy voice 'power on'

The Com-Tac with the standard ear seals has a 23db NRR, the ProtTac Shooter has 26db NRR. This is because of it's larger 'fudd like' cup design. 3db isn't to sniff at though. The decibel scale is a logarithmic scale, it doubles every 3dB added, so 26db NRR versus 23db NRR means substantially more protection.

The Pro TAC Shooter's use compression circuitry. I've used active dampening ear pro with clipping circuitry and with compression circuitry, both indoors and outdoors. To me the clipping circuitry is disconcerting, especially indoors or under a canopy, convo is choppy, because mics cut off sharply and come on sharply. This bugs me, things seem more staccato. Compression, on the other hand seems less obtrusive, it rolls off and on.

At the end of the day, the electronics shut off the microphones at 82db, the shell of the ear cups, the seal, and the foam in the era cups are what really protect your hearing.

Get gel for the seal, and as much NRR as possible.

I wear hearing aides because of long term exposure and environmental conditions (barricades and canopies on firing lines make it like shooting in a box, you get the initial, then the one of the barricade, them the one off the canopy, if you pay attention you can feel the pressure). I learned a little, not much I admit, and try to pass it on. Muffs and properly inserted plugs for me.