Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active hearing protection advice

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Active hearing protection advice

Always been old school on the hearing muffs, using non active muffs. My experience with a few low budget active muffs, left me unimpressed and I felt like they did not cut the sound off before it reached my ears in time. Just didn't give me confidence they were protecting my hearing. Not sure if that was just my impression, or low budgets actives just don't work all that well. I was considering trying something on the higher end, but don't wanna drop the $ if the difference is not really noticeable.

Looking at something like the 3M PELTOR ComTac III, but they're close to $300. Totally worth it if they work as advertised, but is the difference in $ worth it?

What's recommended set between say $200 and $300? I don't care about coms and such. Happy to buy once cry once, but what's the diff between that and say $100 brand?

I see the Peltor 97451 3M Tactical Sport Earmuff for well under $200. Are the electronics the same as the ComTac III and the differences being water proofing, coms, etc?
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-18-19 at 09:41.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I love my Sport Tactical 500s. Can be had for $130-150. I should have a review posted hear of them.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Peltor comtacs are worth it. The Sordins are also worth it. I've worn both in heavy rains without damage. The peltors are easier when it comes to changing batteries. The gel head ear cups are also worth the money. When I am on a line with a lot of rifles, I will use plugs and the muffs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joe138 View Post
    The Peltor comtacs are worth it. The Sordins are also worth it. I've worn both in heavy rains without damage. The peltors are easier when it comes to changing batteries. The gel head ear cups are also worth the money. When I am on a line with a lot of rifles, I will use plugs and the muffs.
    Being in FL, the water resistant aspects of the comtacs might be worth the extra $.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I own the CompTac as well. Very happy with mine. They are so so so comfortable, and you can wear shades without losing the seal. Cry once!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I am a huge advocate for the Peltor ComTac and will echo the other poster's comments. They are also available in a non communications version called the Hearing Defender. The Tac 6/Sound Trap is a nice headset that is fairly inexpensive and can be found at places like Walmart or on Amazon.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I recently stumbled upon a deal on MSA Sordin in orange camo $100 off regular price. Very impressed shooting both in and outdoors with glasses with and without a hat. The gel cups are such that you forget these are even on your head.

Feedback Score
    Active ear pro are easily the best shooting accessory / support kit that I've ever bought.

I liked my ComTacs so much that I bought another pair (with comms).

They are worth every penny.

Feedback Score
    Otis has a passive hearing protection device.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/18...yABEgLKI_D_BwE

I think there were two models, this being the weaker and another model offering more protection.

Has anyone tried this?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I recently bought a pair of the MSA Sordin Pros and really enjoy them. My only complaint is the choice of eyepro that can break the seal or not make it as secure. My caveat to that is that I did have a pair of eye pro that work just fine, I bought a separate pair that I seem to have issues with, so the buyers remorse is on my eye pro purchase, NOT the Sordins.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast