Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active hearing protection advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you don't need coms, aren't running under a helmet and could give an eff about LARPing:

Peltor ProTac Shooter - under a $100.00 on Amazon - 26db NRR - compression circuity - listen-only stereo input for connection to external devices (great for a part time gig mowing lawns or fueling aircraft) - voice guided menu - semi-sexy voice 'power on'

The Com-Tac with the standard ear seals has a 23db NRR, the ProtTac Shooter has 26db NRR. This is because of it's larger 'fudd like' cup design. 3db isn't to sniff at though. The decibel scale is a logarithmic scale, it doubles every 3dB added, so 26db NRR versus 23db NRR means substantially more protection.

The Pro TAC Shooter's use compression circuitry. I've used active dampening ear pro with clipping circuitry and with compression circuitry, both indoors and outdoors. To me the clipping circuitry is disconcerting, especially indoors or under a canopy, convo is choppy, because mics cut off sharply and come on sharply. This bugs me, things seem more staccato. Compression, on the other hand seems less obtrusive, it rolls off and on.

At the end of the day, the electronics shut off the microphones at 82db, the shell of the ear cups, the seal, and the foam in the era cups are what really protect your hearing.

Get gel for the seal, and as much NRR as possible.

I wear hearing aides because of long term exposure and environmental conditions (barricades and canopies on firing lines make it like shooting in a box, you get the initial, then the one of the barricade, them the one off the canopy, if you pay attention you can feel the pressure). I learned a little, not much I admit, and try to pass it on. Muffs and properly inserted plugs for me.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have two pairs of Sordin ProX. One is headband, the other neckband, and both have gel seals.

They're both comfortable and effective, and I haven't found any issue with them that would make me consider swapping them for another brand.

Couple random thoughts, though:
    - I think the headband version seals better and is generally more comfortable than the neckband version.
    - They don't have enough NRR for use stand-alone on an indoor range. I double them up with foamies when I shoot indoors.
    - Eyeglasses/Eye Pro can break the seals enough to diminish effectiveness even with the gel seals
    - Someone shooting w/ a brake next to me causes a weird sensation...Almost like the electronics aren't "fast" enough to cut out the beginning of the sharp blast. In that case I just switch them off and go passive.
    - Once you wear active muffs, you'll wonder how you ever got by without them.
    - You can hear all the other idiots on the line mouthing off ignorant gunshop grade bullshit while you shoot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I have two pairs of Sordin ProX. One is headband, the other neckband, and both have gel seals.

They're both comfortable and effective, and I haven't found any issue with them that would make me consider swapping them for another brand.

Couple random thoughts, though:
    - I think the headband version seals better and is generally more comfortable than the neckband version.
    - They don't have enough NRR for use stand-alone on an indoor range. I double them up with foamies when I shoot indoors.
    - Eyeglasses/Eye Pro can break the seals enough to diminish effectiveness even with the gel seals
    - Someone shooting w/ a brake next to me causes a weird sensation...Almost like the electronics aren't "fast" enough to cut out the beginning of the sharp blast. In that case I just switch them off and go passive.
    - Once you wear active muffs, you'll wonder how you ever got by without them.
    - You can hear all the other idiots on the line mouthing off ignorant gunshop grade bullshit while you shoot.
    I think that would need to be edited something like "Once you wear quality active muffs, you'll wonder how you ever got by without them" as per OP, trying several brands of cheap types left be unimpressed and using standard muffs.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, roger that. I don't have experience with cheap active earpro, just the Sordins.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Give Pro Ears a look. I've had a pair for about 15 years that are still going strong. The Pro Tac SC Gold unit looks like it might be just what you are looking for. The thinner cup does really help shooting long guns. Good luck with your choice !

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Finally made a choice, did the buy one cry once, and got the 3M Peltor Comtac III Hearing Defenders w/Gel Ear Cushion. Decades of shooting with el cheapo ear muffs, and trying a few cheap active muffs which sucked, and getting quality actives just fell through the cracks some how. They work great, feel great, build quality clearly well above usual stuff I'd had in the past. I pleasure to use. One of those "WTF didn't I do this before" sensations at the range, but that's life...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I wish I could wear over the ear headphones- but I just run too hot and ear sweat too much, and I just can’t justify for the couple of months I could wear them comfortably. Enjoy!
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Silynx makes a unit that is active and designed to be used with comms. They have a version that is just active ear pro as well. I use one with comms and its awesome. I have a set of comtacs but I much prefer the Silynx for comfort. The pricing for the non comm version is on par with the top quality over ear actives on the market. Just a thought.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12