Thread: Anyone make an approx. 15" pencil bbl w perm attached A2 mzzle device for 16" legal?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anyone make an approx. 15" pencil bbl w perm attached A2 mzzle device for 16" legal?

Anyone make an approx. 15" pencil bbl w perm attached A2 muzzle device for 16" legal?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There are several 14.7 barrels that are offered pinned and welded with an A2 FH. That should be the approx. min. barrel length to bring it up to 16"

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Faxon sells 14.5" barrels with a permanently attached brake or flashider (2 models). The muzzle device is skinny enough to allow a gas block to slide over it.

A gas block won't fit over an A2 flash hider.

Feedback Score
    I would say get an extended A2 to pin to a 14.5” barrel unless you have an extra special A2 already on hand.

14.5 and 14.7” are much more common and the velocity loss should not be too much of a concern for that 0.3-0.5” reduction from a 15”.

If you’re going for a certain look (clone, etc.) then I get what why. You may have to find a shop to cut a 16” down.

Have you looked at Green Mountain? If I recall they have some offerings in odd lengths from time to time.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hawg View Post
    I would say get an extended A2 to pin to a 14.5” barrel unless you have an extra special A2 already on hand.

14.5 and 14.7” are much more common and the velocity loss should not be too much of a concern for that 0.3-0.5” reduction from a 15”.

If you’re going for a certain look (clone, etc.) then I get what why. You may have to find a shop to cut a 16” down.

Have you looked at Green Mountain? If I recall they have some offerings in odd lengths from time to time.
    Surely the OP is building a clone. Why else would he ask the question? The OP said "pencil barrel". They don't look too good with the flange chopped off of the .625 barrel. By the time he pays to cut and thread a barrel he would be halfway to paying what a stamp would cost. Depends on how bad he wants the A2.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/14-7-...rn-barrel.html

Out of stock, though. Might want to give them a call and see if they have a projection.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Brownells retro carbine is what you need

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Anyone make an approx. 15" pencil bbl w perm attached A2 muzzle device for 16" legal?
    Carbine, mid-length, or rifle length gas system?
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last I knew, Green Mountain has stripped carbine length pencil barrels in both 14.5" and 14.7" lengths, both options are chrome lined, 1/7 twist, 4150 with .625" gas block journals and M4 feed ramps. So if you wanted to install the FSB and pin a muzzle device to meet OAL requirements you can go extended A2 or standard A2 depending on your preference (14.5" with extended A2 will allow for bayonet mounting, while 14.7" with a standard A2 will not, if that matters to you.)
    I bought a couple of the 14.5s last year for some eventual RO723 clones.

edit:. I forgot that Brownells also sells 14.7" carbine pencil barrels as well, with the barrel nut and FSB already included. They are available in both 1/12 and 1/7 now, but don't have M4 feedramps.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 06-21-19 at 11:59.