Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rounds before trusting your life to it?

Feedback Score
    Eventually something will break or wear out. With high-quality components, this should happen less frequently and much later in expected life. Having said that, you could have a junky gun that has had a few hundred flawless rounds run through it and Murphy could then strike shortly after when you need it the most. For example, there are quite a few stories of bolts breaking at around 500 rounds. Or castle nuts backing off in as little as 50. Or an extractor spring that was uselessly flattened from day one.

To the scenarios provided, my answer is the same. I'll have to run it for a while in various conditions and inspect components and assemblies as needed. This could be a few hundred rounds without any issues as my minimum criteria. I'd like to see how it runs in freezing cold, too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You never know. The next firing can be the last.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    No matter the gun, clean, then lube, fire a minimum 500 rounds of full powered ammunition without additional cleaning or lubrication. But I've been known to push that number to 800 or 1,000. Still no failures in our Colts, KAC or Glocks.
    I've been shooting Glocks since 1990, and own a dozen of them at present. I have thousands and thousands of rounds through them without a single failure. I cannot say that about any other handgun that I have owned. As far as AR's are concerned, I have three Sig 516's and one M400 Vtac that have been flawless, albeit no more than a thousand rounds through any of them. I have another M400 Vtac that was troublesome at first, but after several hundred rounds, couple of thorough cleanings, and changing out the buffer/spring, it is likewise doing well. However, it is the one out of all my AR's that I am not willing to trust completely, yet.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Do any of you guys have dreams that you’re trying to shoot a bad guy and your gun doesn’t work?

I had a dream a bunch of good old western III%ers broke into my house at 2am. I grabbed my AR but couldn’t shoot any of them. My 223 AR mag was loaded with 9mm.

I woke up before they got to me. But man that was weird.

I stopped keeping a LMT by my bedside for home defense that same night.

On topic: I don’t buy new ARs very often. I think I’ve bought two in 5 years. I find these threads stupid, because you should have bought a quality HD rifle first and should be using that.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I find these threads stupid, because you should have bought a quality HD rifle first and should be using that.
    I agree with you but mechanical devices can fail. In my experience machines are most likely to have failures either right out of the box or when preventive maintenance is either put off or not done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll shoot it relentlessly, without cleaning or lubing it, until something breaks...Then I complain on the internet about what a hobby-grade pos it was.

Seriously, though, if it can get through about 200 rounds of mixed ammo with no issue, I'm pretty confident it'll work.

I think these extended "I'm gonna wear this thing out before I trust it" vetting/torture test schedules some people insist on are mostly silly. Everything will break eventually. Do you insist on putting 50k miles on your car before you trust it to drive on a road trip? Buy good stuff, maintain it, practice, live your life.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you have a “Duty Grade” rifle, zero.

If you have a “hobby grade rifle, you can never trust it.

For definitions ask the SAGEs, aka Tactical Tommies.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Couple of flawless magazines, using known quality ammo and I'm good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At what point have you surpassed what’s needed to vet the rifle and now you’re just eating into the service life of the parts? Everything has a finite service life, and there is an expected amount of time a particular part should last. Obviously some things last longer than they are supposed to and some things don’t. I wonder if sometimes people aren’t being a little excessive on how many rounds they shoot before they “trust” a firearm. If you have a quality rifle from a reputable manufacturer I’m not sure you need more than a few hundred rounds to feel good about it. If you have a “hobby grade” maybe more. If you have any firearm that you don’t feel good about then get rid of it and get something you do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I'd say 500 for a T1 and 1,000 for a T2 rifle.

Im on my 2nd PSA build, and if you know your way around the AR platform; you can pretty quickly identify if your gun will fail or not. Doing things like checking the gas block and barrel nut tightness, stake the castle nut and carrier key, and put a BCM extractor kit in the BCG. All this can be done before firing the first rounds. A T2 rifle usually wont be as accurate as a T1 rifle, but it is still an AR, and therefor capable of great reliability.
    I have looked at this kit and I am thinking about ordering it along with more BCM rings and a BCM cam pin. Can you say any more about this kit?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast