Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds before trusting your life to it?

Feedback Score
    Personally, I buy quality kit, clean it, lube it, and shoot a few hundred rounds through it. Disassemble, look for anything unusual, and call it good assuming no issues.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Pretty sure we have had multiple threads on this subject before. It must be a slow day, so I will play along. I don't own Tier 0 or hobby guns. Any rifle needs to have 500 rounds through it before I call it good.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I have looked at this kit and I am thinking about ordering it along with more BCM rings and a BCM cam pin. Can you say any more about this kit?
    What is there to know? It is an extra power extractor spring. Several folks make them. I looked for you because I'm waiting for my wife to get ready to go out for lunch.

BCM Extractor Spring Upgrade – 4.95 https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...exspring-1.htm

The BCM Extractor Spring is a heavy coil design made for the increased extractor tension required on many AR15, M4, M16 short barreled rifles. This product also improves the reliability on a standard 16" and 14.5" carbines.

As with all BCM branded products, the highest quality is the primary focus. Our BCM Extractor Spring is manufactured by a 9001:2000 facility employing the latest precision equipment. BCM starts with only the highest quality chrome silicon material, heat treats to stress relieve the product and shot peens to add increased strength.

This kit also includes the new black extractor insert, standard on all M4, M4A1, Mk18 carbines and the recent new standard on M16A4 rifles. The BCM Extractor Spring is so strong the Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring will probably not be needed, but it is included.

This kit includes:
    - BCM Extractor Spring (chrome silicon, heat treated & stress relieved, shot peened)
    - Crane Ind O-Ring (Mil-Spec)
    - Black Extractor Insert

On the other hand Wolff Gunsprings: https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php...D=1&dID=79#492

COLT M4,M16,AR15 XP EXTRACTOR SPRING Pak of 1 4.49

Welcome to Wolff GunspringsOur proprietary spring material and processes provide you with high quality, reliability and proven performance not found with most other springs. With nearly 60 years of experience exclusively with firearm springs, you can be assured that when you choose a Wolff spring, you are choosing the best!

Extractor Springs - Extra Power - These very strong extractor springs eliminate the extraction problems which are very common in M4 models used extensively by law enforcement. Use with the colored insert that is in the current extractor spring. Inserts are various colors. These spring are also recommended for the M-16, AR-15 & Sporters. Springs are unground and we do not recommend grinding them.

I called them. The guy I talked to sounded like a manager. He didn't know the initials BCM, but the guy did know Bravo Company USA. If I had to make a semi-informed guess, these are BCM's springs.

And then the folks I shill for (LOL) LaRue Tactical: https://www.larue.com/products/extra...-viton-o-ring/

Extractor Upgrade kit/AR-15/Mil-Spec/Extra Power 5-Coil Extractor Spring, Extractor Insert and Viton O-Ring $4.98

The extra-power extractor springs are constructed from ASTM grade A401 silicon wire for reliable, consistent performance, and extended duty cycle.
    They are heat treated, stress relieved, and cryogenic processed after windingand are plated with deep penetrating re-Micronized moly-disulfide formulation.

These kits also include mil-spec extractor inserts and mil-spec Viton O-rings.

Choose between the Extractor Upgrade Kit which has 1 Extra Power Spring, 1 Mil-Spec Extractor Insert and 1 Mil-Spec Viton O-Ring or the the Extractor Upgrade Triple Kit which contains 3 of the Extra Power Springs, Extractor Inserts and Viton O-Rings.

So, at the end of the day, of the choices listed above BCM hypes the best, they are all comprably priced.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    There are so many different answers on this, I'll just leave this here:

1. Don't buy anything but a Tier 1 rifle.
    2. Try out the rifle with each magazine (full) and ammo you plan to use for real
    3. If you have one malfunction, repeat #2

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    You never know. The next firing can be the last.
    This is true on cheap guns. I shot with a guy who slowly had several things break on his cheapo. Mag catch busted, buffer role pin walked out... and few other things that I can't remember.

You never know what/when the next problem will be on a cheapo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is true on cheap guns. I shot with a guy who slowly had several things break on his cheapo. Mag catch busted, buffer role pin walked out... and few other things that I can't remember.

You never know what/when the next problem will be on a cheapo.
    I agree. I have one beater gun now. The lower is 100% solid because I built it with quality parts, just not the fancy safety, trigger, and takedown/pivot pins on my others. But it’s all good stuff. The upper was $199 from PSA. I swapped the standard BCG for one of their premium BCGs, it’s produced a 1” group at 50m with good ammo, and the light and optic on it are decent to good. It had a fixed FSP because I figured that’s harder for PSA to install wrong than a LPGB. It’s also shot over 800 rounds of steel and brass without an issue. But I still don’t trust it and it’s helped me to realize that I probably never will trust a gun like that. Maybe with a BCM BCG, but still, it’d be my last pick of my ARs and if it was my only one, I would be uncomfortable. It’s setup for serious use if I had to, but it’s a back up to a back up, which it does well for the money I put into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A well maintained quality rifle with quality magazines / ammo is very reliable, but any mechanical device can fail at any time for any number of reasons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Do any of you guys have dreams that you’re trying to shoot a bad guy and your gun doesn’t work?

I had a dream a bunch of good old western III%ers broke into my house at 2am. I grabbed my AR but couldn’t shoot any of them. My 223 AR mag was loaded with 9mm.
    I’ve had many dreams where my gun doesn’t work. Sometimes my gun will fall to pieces in my hand. I try to get some cover and put it back together but it keeps falling back apart.

I’ve had other dreams where I shoot the bad guy multiple times but he won’t stop. Kinda like shooting a terminator.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    I’ve had many dreams where my gun doesn’t work. Sometimes my gun will fall to pieces in my hand. I try to get some cover and put it back together but it keeps falling back apart.

I’ve had other dreams where I shoot the bad guy multiple times but he won’t stop. Kinda like shooting a terminator.
    I've had similar. Except in my nightmare, I have perfect sight alignment, and sight picture, but the trigger is so heavy, I cannot get the gun to fire.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    How many trouble free rounds before you rely on it?
    Three

It's not just the number of rounds used to vet a firearm, it's knowing what to look for when fired. Most firearms will let you know within 100 rounds if they have any problems that need to be immediately addressed, often within just a mag or two fewer. Start by cleaning, inspecting and lubing your AR. If it has a CAR buffer, get an H buffer- or better yet, an H2. If you don't know the provenance of the extractor spring, get ahead of the game by replacing it with an M4 extractor spring made Colt or Sprinco. Make sure the fire control springs are installed correctly. Cock the hammer by hand and make sure it doesn't feel weak.

On the initial test fire, don't just load up a mag and start shooting. Perform a lock back check first. Perform it about five times. Watch the ejection. If ejection is weak, you probably didn't heed the advice to replace the extractor spring. If you did replace the extractor spring with a Colt or Sprinco spring, pull the bolt apart and thoroughly clean all schmutz and/or preservative from the extractor and ejector cavities and parts. Install a new ejector spring along with the Colt or Sprinco extractor springs. Inspect the extractor while you have it out. It might be bent or damaged. Reassemble and try it again.

After performing the lock back checks, I usually start shooting three round groups to get sighted in. Then I shoot a couple of fully loaded magazines to make sure the magazines are fully functional (AR P-mags are the generally the most trouble free rifle magazines I've encountered). Once the rifle is dialed in, I shoot it some more to verify zero at different ranges. Done. It's vetted and ready to go. Something could happen after, but the immediate problems will rear their ugly heads early.
    -Bolt could break-
    Bolts usually last awhile, but get a spare and keep it on hand just in case. A spare bolt will also get you back in the game if the extractor or ejector fails
    -Springs might go bad-
    Replace any questionable springs before shooting. Start with quality springs and many problems will be solved before they start.
    -Castlenuts, gas key screws etc. might work loose-
    You did inspect everything at the outset, right?

Clean, lube, inspect. Check torque. Use quality springs and H/H2 buffers. These steps will eliminate many problems before getting to the range. To get the most out of the initial test fire session, perform lock back checks and pay attention to how the AR is functioning. You'll learn more about your AR in fewer rounds.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-19-19 at 22:16.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast