Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How many rounds before trusting your life to it?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodlord77 View Post
    I've had similar. Except in my nightmare, I have perfect sight alignment, and sight picture, but the trigger is so heavy, I cannot get the gun to fire.
    I’ve had dreams similar to this. Its like the weapon is on safe. I keep trying to squeeze harder, but the shot won’t break.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    On quality guns, the amount of rounds to zero and familiarize are enough. Quality items (not just guns) fail immediately or at the end of their service life (see bathtub curve).

I was issued a new FN M16A2 and could have deployed after only firing 9 rounds to zero, 40 rounds to qualify, 20 rounds for night fire and 20 for NBC fire. Mine was good to go through that plus quite a bit of CQB training and rezero after we landed in country. It looked like hell a year later, even though I was a POG.
    ^These are good observations.^

My thoughts are that confidence in any gun (or whatever machine) is a continuum, not yes/no. For me, with a rifle, I shoot a few mags, then do 10 or so lockback tests with intended ammo. I examine few rounds of spent brass. Then I shoot more as time and ammo allow. I lightly clean and lubricate before and after the first outing. Then I am monogamous to that rifle (constantly swapping weapons can hinder your training) for a few thousand rounds, and I either develop a deeply rooted confidence, or I discover a problem, attempt to solve it, and start over.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-24-19 at 07:28. Reason: Clarify

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Or, alternatively, how many jumps before you trust you parachute?

Don't overthink it - make sure the rifle functions with the ammo you want - it feeds, chambers, ejects, locks back on empty mags, and allows you to insert a full mag under a closed bolt and feeds the next round with fail.

Then keep it clean and lubed for self-defense, being dirty doesn't help function. Myself, anything that is loaded in my safe, on my person, or positioned for self-defense is cleaned after it is shot.

That may be overboard, but I wouldn't trust a 200 round dirty pistol or rifle with my life. Remember, when the rifle malfunctions in us, the darn thing worked just before it malfunctioned.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n8vmind View Post
    Thoroughly clean and oil new rifle, fire 100-200 rounds or so, and you will know if it is reliable.
    Yeah, this is about my routine.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you've been on this site long enough and active enough you'll see issues with all kinds of manufacturers including quality ones like Colt, DD, LMT, Noveske, BCM, Geissele, etc. Anything from loose muzzle device/barrel nut/castle nut to incorrect staking, wrong buffer weight used, poor accuracy, canted front sight, canted rail install, poor machining and finish, tooling marks (visual only or affecting functionality), stripped threads, and etc.

Even quality manufacturers are not immune to assembly issues and something can always slip through the cracks. Although likelihood of this happening is significantly less vs budget rifles.

I would suggest getting some basic tools (Brownells, Midway, or Specialized Armament especially is a good start) and familiarize yourself with AR platform as it is very trivial in function and assembly. Go over the rifle to verify, test function, and check basic assembly methods to make sure nothing is loose, looks funny/asymmetrical, metal machining is uniform, pins are not walking out. I typically ignore scratches and small anodizing issues/marks, if present, as they do not affect function.

There are some specialized tools like checking a magwell and pin tolerances/dimensions, but they are very expensive and difficult to find.

Edit: As recommended by other people test fire your rifle with various ammo and mags you're planning to use. Good if it runs with steel ammo, but not a requirement for a combat rifle per se as it was never designed for it. Also test for accuracy - poor/inconsistent accuracy can be a good indicator that something is wrong with parts/assembly.
    Last edited by alx01; 06-23-19 at 17:28.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I put 1000 rounds through my 6933 the first weekend I had it in order to make sure it was G2G. It's a dedicated HD rifle and only gets shot a couple times a year now, and I keep a detailed round count and maintenance log on it.

I treat my PD trade in 6933 mutt like a rented mule. It's setup identical to my HD gun except it has a Primary Arms red dot instead of an Aimpoint. I add a little lube to it prior to range trips and it just keeps running.

I keep a cheap PSA to loan to people I take shooting who don't have a rifle of their own, that's really it's only purpose since it took some fiddle farting to get it to run properly so no matter how many rounds go through it, I would not use it or trust it for any defensive purposes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    On quality guns, the amount of rounds to zero and familiarize are enough. Quality items (not just guns) fail immediately or at the end of their service life (see bathtub curve).

I was issued a new FN M16A2 and could have deployed after only firing 9 rounds to zero, 40 rounds to qualify, 20 rounds for night fire and 20 for NBC fire. Mine was good to go through that plus quite a bit of CQB training and rezero after we landed in country. It looked like hell a year later, even though I was a POG.
    OP is inclined to agree.

I bought a 6920 for a vehicle gun. I ran about 60 rounds through it to check it out and sight it in. On my second trip to the range, I ran two full Pmags through it without issue, and then a few more rounds for fun. At that point, I threw it and those two Pmags in the car.

(I plan on doing a bit more "testing" tomorrow afternoon.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For me, depends on what kind and brand of gun/parts. Generally 200-400 rnds. More if I think it needs it, more if problems are identified and solved.

I do keep round counts for all guns, to keep an eye on things like spring and other parts change intervals.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345