Thread: I put a Nightforce on my 22. What a dumb idea.v. FFP reticles small af

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

I put a Nightforce on my 22. What a dumb idea.v. FFP reticles small af

4-14 mag. Illuminated reticle. Quality. Sounds cool on a MkII FVSR with a Boyd’s At-One stock right?

Nope.

Can someone explain the point of FFP reticles being so ****ing small at low mag? I get the mechanics of why it shrinks, but why don’t they make them differently so it doesn’t shrink so much? Even the 1-8 ATACR is almost pointless at low mag, but it has a reticle that allows for it. The ATACR reticle is useless on my 5-25 too, but that’s a 6.5 bolt gun and it’s never really going to be at <10x.

I should’ve gotten a SFP NXS in hindsight. I feel kind of stupid. For innaswamp shooting at critters I imagine I’ll be at 4-8x mostly, but at 4x I cant even make out the center crosshair in the bush unless it’s dusk and illuminated. It’s just visible at 8x, but your FOV is pretty poor <50y.

OTOH, target shooting a 22LR at 300y should be challenging but possible.

I feel stupid for complaining about something that it wasn’t designed for, but still, why make a magnification range that isn’t useable for any rifle? This issue isn’t specific to idiots who put a Nightforce ATACR on a 22, any ATACR on any rifle at low mag is going to be equally worthless.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 06-19-19 at 08:56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Can someone explain the point of FFP reticles being so ****ing small at low mag?
    Cuz it has to measure in mils at all magnifications. Thus, when dialed down to low mag, mils get scaled down.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    But why not make a reticle with a 5 Mil center crosshair or something. You could put subtensions on the reticle itself. These optics are unusable so low.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    For my 5-200 22 LR needs, I usually go with a 1-6, 1-8, or 2-7.
    The reticles tend to support the most used magnification/distances better than the more long-range stuff.
    I do have a 7-35x NF that I swap between a PRS 6.5 bolt gun setup and a .22 LR set up for shooting way beyond the practical range of .22 LR.
    The great thing about the 7-35x is that I can pull parallax down to like 10 meters, but I never really use it below 8x. Of course, it isn't something that I would be schwacking squirrels with, that's for the other more appropriate guns.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It would be nice if you could switch from FFP to SFP and skip the illumination, or have the illumination default back to SFP. I have found in my LPVO 1-8's I prefer SFP. Also, in 3-15 scopes it is not as critical to have FFP but 5-20 or 25 its useful for sure. Only to hold wind because I dial elevation.

I agree that in big scopes that are dialed down, you basically have a RDS at best.

My dos centavos

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I just put a 4.5-27x56 Razor on my .22 rifle. Granted, I use it for local NRL matches with targets varying from 25 to 100 yards with 1/4" targets at 25 and some as small as 2" at 100. I shoot it to 300 as often as I can too. Still qualifying my dope at that distance. I am never below 10x and usually stay around 12x-18x during matches, so the reticle never gets too small for me.

If I had a hunting .22, the 4-14 SHV w/ MIL-R and SFP would be a great option.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would just like to add, I have several awesome .22's but cant make myself shoot them. I guess if I had to go to a 100 yard range, maybe I'd be more apt. And wind eats my ass up at 100 yards at our spot which is good practice I guess but its annoying when trying to see how a gun shoots.

OK, I'm done pissing.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    If the reticle was usable at low power, it would be so thick at high power it would cover too much target to make precise shots at long range.

Some of the European scopes from years back were made to be usable at low power and they were so huge it was difficult to use on higher magnifications.

The solution is illuminated reticles. Make them bloom and you can see them better if you must use lower magnification. The reason they aren’t just 8-14x or something of that sort is because despite being difficult to use at lower magnification, they can be used for finding targets before zooming in.

I run an S&B 5-25x and have good luck from about 8x up. Perhaps that’s partly the reticle and partly being a higher resolution scope.

In the figure, dual focal plan scopes will be a thing. On low power there will be a SFP reticle that will be thicker than the FFP reticle on lower powers but will be completely covered in higher magnifications when needing it for milling.

I personally still like the old Leupold 3.5-10x for field rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk