Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawn shop find: R870 Wingmaster

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Pawn shop find: R870 Wingmaster

I was in my local pawn shop for a look at the two suppressors who are in NFA jail, and ran across a wing master 12 gauge. It has a 18.5" barrel and a tapco stock and could use a re-bluing job, but otherwise looks great! There is slight rust marks but no serious pitting that I can see, so I picked it up for $250 OTD.

How much would a re-bluing job cost for all of the metal? Would it be better to send it off to be cerekoted or some other finish besides bluing?

Can I fit a youth wood stock onto the gun, or would the full size stock be the only one I can stick on? The regular full size LOP is ok, but I would like a shorter one because of my little t-rex arms.

Action is smooth and trigger is so-so, but I have passed up on a lot of other wingmasters, albet in better shape, for hundreds more, so I don't mind putting a few hundred into the gun to keep it nice for decades to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Here is something you may want to consider:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shotgun...remingtonsteal

The Wilson Combat Remington Steal program.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Vang Comp could also help you out.

No affiliation to them but they have excellent customer service and are very kind.
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Feedback Score
    I found a "youth" stock on eBay a few years back that was pretty cheap, I put that on a 870 20gauge for my wife.
    I can't help with reblueing as I've never done that.

I would recommend a Wilson big button safety especially if yours has that j key in it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Vang Comp could also help you out.

No affiliation to them but they have excellent customer service and are very kind.
    Vang Comp gets my 870 barrel work!

Feedback Score
    Older 870s are getting harder to find. Nice score

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You can get a replacement wood stock off eBay pretty easily and Wilson can rebuild for you or you can replace the springs and follower yourself, clean/lube and just shoot it.

Birdsong Black T is also an economical finish, pretty indestructible as well. I think they have black and green these days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    How much would a re-bluing job cost for all of the metal? Would it be better to send it off to be cerekoted or some other finish besides bluing?
    If it is a blued. rather than a parkerized, Wingmaster, re-bluing might be the best answer. The problem is going to be cost. If you do all the take-down, de-greasing and metal prep, you can get a shotgun blue-dipped from $75.00 up. If you are going to get a polished finish you are probably looking at $250.00 up.

As mentioned, the Wilson Remington Steal might be an option - if you want parkerized or a 'bake-on' finish. Here are more details:

REMINGTON STEAL - replace all worn and/or damaged parts including the buttstock and fore-end, convert your chamber to 3”, convert to flexi-tab anti-jam system, install a new magazine spring and follower, replace safety with a jumbo head, replace trigger assembly with a professionally remanufactured trigger unit, and parkerize your complete shotgun. Please call 1-800-955-4856 for more information. NOTE: Old Buttstock and Foregrip Will Not Be Returned with Remington® Steal Package.

Rebuild 870 (parkerized) $229.95
    Rebuild 870, Armor Tuff $385.00
    Rebuild 870, Trak-Lock Sights (bead base), Tritium Front $380.00
    Rebuild 870, Armor Tuff/Track Lock Sights, Tritium Front $474.95

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shotgun...remingtonsteal

Depending on how much of your sweat equity you want to put into the process, Norrell's Moly-Resin might also be an option - https://molyresin.com/ I've done numerous rifles and pistols using the process - it isn't hard.

The downside to this would be that unlike the Wilson Remington Steal package your shotgun isn't 're-built' - that wouldn't bother me, I'm an 870 armorer, it may be an issue for you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Can I fit a youth wood stock onto the gun, or would the full size stock be the only one I can stick on? The regular full size LOP is ok, but I would like a shorter one because of my little t-rex arms.
    If you want to stay with wood, you can use the youth stock. I don't recommend those for adults because of the amount of heel-toe length you lose. I recommend the Choate youth/body armor stock simply because you don't lose and heel-toe length - https://www.riflestock.com/store/pro...y-armor-stock/

The downside is you will need to get a different forearm if you want them to match.

If the shotgun is old enough it doesn't have a screw in choke, you might want to have a local gunsmith install a screw in choke and lengthen the forcing cone. Otherwise, I'd just get a brush research forcing cone hone and clean it up myself (did this to our training shotguns): http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=6
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-01-20 at 15:32.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it isn't flexitab already, the Wilson package 26 Inf shared is really a good deal from what I have heard from a friend who got a pre flexitab feed malfunction.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-01-20 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I put an 18" Wingmaster with rifle sights on layaway the other day. I have a 20" ghost ring 590A1 already, the 870 will be reserved for the more genteel home invaders.

Edit - 870 barrel is 20" not 18.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-01-20 at 21:57.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast