Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pawn shop find: R870 Wingmaster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Vang Comp could also help you out.

No affiliation to them but they have excellent customer service and are very kind.
    My experiences are the same with VangComp. Kind of surprised when Hans called me when they completed the work.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I put an 18" Wingmaster with rifle sights on layaway the other day.

Andy
    My favorite find as well. Changed out the sites (unknown better beefier more visible), cut the tail off the pump so I could load while shooting and still a winner today. Estate 00 patterns the best with mine and bought a metric boatload years ago. Slugs (brenneke) are POA/POI @ 50, punishing but put a smile on everyones face hitting steel @ 100.

Noah

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Here is something you may want to consider:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shotgun...remingtonsteal

The Wilson Combat Remington Steal program.
    I bought a Nighthawk 870 and I would think the Wilson would be similar, awesomeness.

I wouldn't blue, I wold cerakote due to cost unless I am naive.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I just picked up a police trade-in 870 to send to Wilson, possibly for the Border Patrol model conversion. Their a la carte upgrade services are extensive and seem reasonably priced.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I picked up my Wingmaster from layaway today. It is a 2 3/4" chamber 20" cylinder bore (maybe IC) with rifle sights made in 1968. No plans to modify it other than looking for a 26-28 modified or interchangeable choke barrel for it.

It's in decent shape, other than scratches/scrapes on the stock and honest wear. I assume it was someone's deer gun. I am not sure it was cleaned since it left the factory, just lubricated and used. It was the filthiest gun I have ever cleaned.

Someone added a Pachmyer "White Line" recoil pad without cutting the stock. Length of pull is generous to say the least.

Looking forward to shooting it.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-02-20 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I picked up my Wingmaster from layaway today. It is a 2 3/4" chamber 20" cylinder bore (maybe IC) with rifle sights made in 1968. No plans to modify it other than looking for a 26-28 modified or interchangeable choke barrel for it.

It's in decent shape, other than scratches/scrapes on the stock and honest wear. I assume it was someone's deer gun. I am not sure it was cleaned since it left the factory, just lubricated and used. It was the filthiest gun I have ever cleaned.

Someone added a Pachmyer "White Line" recoil pad without cutting the stock. Length of pull is generous to say the least.

Looking forward to shooting it.

Andy
    That's the stuff for sure, same gun I have. If it still has the plastic follower, replace with a good quality metal one from one of the major part suppliers. A lot of different options, the plastic one just causes issues when things speed up or get hot.

I had someone cut my stock (fine detail work isn't my forte) and added a decelerator pad to mine to dial in LOP for me. You could also grab a youth stock and start from there if necessary. There are also some inexpensive replacement sights that are higher visibility you can switch to and slugfest you shall have. Grab some 00 buck from a bunch of different manufacturers and pattern it, mine likes Estate. Get some brenneke slugs for a real shoulder workout.

Anytime I see this configuration at a gunshow on the used rack I grab it and clean it up.

Feedback Score
    I'd recommend checking the ejector on used 870s. I've purchased one and found that the ejector was broken. It's a quick fix for a gunsmith that knows what they are doing.

Feedback Score
    I heart saving Wingmasters from the pawn shop too. The last one was real cheap because of a hack job someone did installing a recoil pad. When I got it home and broke it down, the pump was cracked about halfway up the underside. There are still enough of them out there that I don't feel bad for what I did.
    I happened to have a Hogue furniture kit from a yard sale that was new in package at a whopping $5. The pump ended up on my Tac-14 because I liked the better grip it offered my big hands than the Magpul.
    Now I have a classic Wingmaster wearing a Hogue stock and Magpul pump. It came in lighter than any of the others I own but it handles fantastic and I don't notice the extra thump on my shoulder too much. Its a fine dove gun now.
    The Wingmaster is twice the gun that a modern 870 is, 4 or 5 times what an express is and lower in price to boot if you know where to look.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cd228 View Post
    I'd recommend checking the ejector on used 870s. I've purchased one and found that the ejector was broken. It's a quick fix for a gunsmith that knows what they are doing.
    This is true of the modern production 870's. Not sure when they switched to MIM extractors but they are not equal to the older ones or the newer aftermarket (Volquartsen). Unless you have a Wingmaster that has been shot a ton, it is not as big of a deal. You can tell the difference by looking at them. MIM has a very visible vertical ridge on the outside where machined ones do not.

This and a better follower are the only upgrades I deemed essential on my 870 Magpul Tactical edition. On preference, I added a big button safety as well. If you know how to touch up the action or shoot it to wear it in real good, the 870 MPT is almost as good as a Wingmaster in the configuration the OP has. It will cost more than a Wingmaster if you can find one but less than all the work you have to do to make a cheap 870 into a decent weapon.
    Last edited by 300blkjunkie; 05-13-20 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    That's the stuff for sure, same gun I have. If it still has the plastic follower, replace with a good quality metal one from one of the major part suppliers. A lot of different options, the plastic one just causes issues when things speed up or get hot.

I had someone cut my stock (fine detail work isn't my forte) and added a decelerator pad to mine to dial in LOP for me. You could also grab a youth stock and start from there if necessary. There are also some inexpensive replacement sights that are higher visibility you can switch to and slugfest you shall have. Grab some 00 buck from a bunch of different manufacturers and pattern it, mine likes Estate. Get some brenneke slugs for a real shoulder workout.

Anytime I see this configuration at a gunshow on the used rack I grab it and clean it up.
    It has a blued steel follower and chrome (pre-flexi-tab) lifter. I am replacing the recoil pad with the original style plastic butt plate. Recoil pads are for sissies

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12