Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What "reach" is expected in general from a carbine light?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Modlite may be too expensive for most individuals but I hope departments and agencies provide officers with something of this capability. Identification is too important to go cheap.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I've see that light/review. A couple things came to mind the first time I saw it which ruled it out for me, I don't want multiple modes on my WML and I don't care at all for that magnetic tape switch setup. And now that I the Modlight in hand by comparison that light is nothing short of massive. The OKW with 18350 body has same over all length as a SF M300 Scout with a slightly fatter body and head. The mounting is similar Arisaka's, a cleaned up SF Scout configuration. I don't have an Olight for a weight comparison, but it looks pretty heavy to me and weight is not something I want hanging on the front of my carbine. I have no clue how the 78400 vs 69,000 candela would translate in real world application, but in truth I'd be happy to sacrifice a little throw for little spill. Yep it's more double the cost, for my use it appears more than double the light.

I have been using Surefire lights since the day of 6p incandescents, after too easily killing a couple Streamlights and others I swore I'd never buy anything but Surefire for serious use lights. Last year I decided I it was past time to upgrade my early gen SF M300 & M600 Scouts so I pick up a SF M600DF, great light, was all set to pick a second one when a I ran into Modlite. After some additional research I went for it and so far pleased with that decision. Time will tell if it will hold up like my SF's but it reeks of quality and feels/seems very solid, the machining is exquisite.
    I got ya. The magnetic tailswitch is a concern for many. I wrote Olight about it for an easy fix. All they would need to do is make a spring clip for the tailcap that clips onto the body and secures the tailswitch on and boom...problem solved. They responded that they have forwarded the suggestion to their design team but who knows if it comes to fruition. The light does weigh a hefty 7.69 ounces due to the thick body, but with durability comes a little weight most of the time.

My modded light weighs in at a little over 6 ounces, but the candela is in the 150,000 range and it has good spill. It uses a single 18650. The new model offered can now do 130,000 or 225,000 and is $175 and $225 respectively, depending on your choice of led. The good thing is there are other choices out there that are available to all of us and we aren't stuck with the same old SF options anymore.

I hope the Modlite works out for you. Let us know down the road how it works out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234