Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What "reach" is expected in general from a carbine light?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Streamlight HPL with the remote switch on my duty rifle. It's a great light providing excellent peripheral and extended reach. The HPL or similar performing light is well worth it.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If you are looking for that kind of reach I would suggest the Modlite with the PLH head. They are compatible the Surfire DF heads, bodies and tail caps. You can have them as a hand held or weapon mounted via scout mount of your choice. The PLH was designed to be used with scoped rifles so that better PID can be had. They are pricey thoug at 330.00 for a light but if you already have a Surefire DF it's just a head swap.

https://modlite.com/

I should add that I don't work for them or have any relation to them in any way they just make cool stuff in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    If you are looking for that kind of reach I would suggest the Modlite with the PLH head. They are compatible the Surfire DF heads, bodies and tail caps. You can have them as a hand held or weapon mounted via scout mount of your choice. The PLH was designed to be used with scoped rifles so that better PID can be had. They are pricey thoug at 330.00 for a light but if you already have a Surefire DF it's just a head swap.

https://modlite.com/

I should add that I don't work for them or have any relation to them in any way they just make cool stuff in my opinion.
    You mean the OKW.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    You mean the OKW.
    Yes, I keep getting them mixed up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you really want throw for a magnified optic. There is always LEP (Laser excited Phosphor) technology. Weltool makes a a rugged 6P looking and sized model. Crazy throw, but no real spill. How does 180,000 candela sound (real tested by Vinh at 110,000)?

Article and review here: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...or-flashlight/

..and wouldn't you know, the mod man himself Vinh has taken and modified it. Any takers for 230,000 candela? LOL (: https://skylumen.com/collections/v54...ct-lep-thrower

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    We separately verified that we could see objects clearly enough to reliably determine an overt threat at 75m. I can pick out a human form that is not hiding at perhaps a little more than 100m. I could see some objects clearly enough to be able to hit them at 150, depending on target color.

I also have with me a Surefire G2X handheld rated at 600 lumens. Results were about the same at 75m, with a little less spill, and the throw seemed to fall off a slightly quicker past 75m. It seemed just as bright at 75m, so I don’t understand why it fell off a little sharper beyond that.
    There's a point of diminishing returns with the light mounted on the rifle, especially with a magnified optic.

Atmospheric pollution, mist, dust, etc. causes back scatter. If you're trying to view the target through the actual beam (as is typically the case with a WML), this backscatter can severely limit the distance you can discern a target. With a high-lumen, tightly-focused beam (high candela/lux), moving it off the rifle and far enough off-axis with the optic will greatly increase the distance a target can be seen by not viewing it through a cone of backscatter.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    100yds min. for a one cell CR123 light like a M300

150-200yds min. for a two cell CR123 light like a M600U

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you're wanting a rifle light with actual throw the ONLY option you should be looking at is the Modlite OKW. Watch this video, at least the overview shots of different lights and you will understand why. Plenty of amazing lights out there these days but we're at that point where we are trying to balance spill and throw and generally that leans more towards spill. The OKW head throws everything into its throw for rifle work but still gives enough spill that it works great indoors as well. Hence why it is my duty rifle light to go along with my Razor on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPB8COBBxHE

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I brought out some different lights tonight to the same location in my earlier post, and paced some stuff off to measure range. I also tried the lights in a few different locations near our station, and different directions. Conditions this time were clear, with a bit of light pollution. 2100. Distances I feel that I can reliably identify an overt threat:

Surefire G2x 100m

Elzetta Bravo with AVS lens 100m

Scout 600 with Malkoff Super Throw head ~150m

Scout 600 with Malkoff orange-peel reflector flood head 50m

All of this stuff is super relative. I can see a dude in a PT belt standing in the open like a click out. A guy in BDUs and face camo ducked off in the woodline trying not to be seen at 25m, not so much. The light that I’ve been effing with lately that most closely meets the OP’s requirement is the Scout with Super Throw head. Or get some PVS 15s and an aiming laser/illuminator.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    There's a point of diminishing returns with the light mounted on the rifle, especially with a magnified optic.

Atmospheric pollution, mist, dust, etc. causes back scatter. If you're trying to view the target through the actual beam (as is typically the case with a WML), this backscatter can severely limit the distance you can discern a target. With a high-lumen, tightly-focused beam (high candela/lux), moving it off the rifle and far enough off-axis with the optic will greatly increase the distance a target can be seen by not viewing it through a cone of backscatter.
    Absolutely.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast