Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to Gucci it up a bit

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I want to Gucci it up a bit

Shot an American Defense ADM4 Mod2 with a flat CMC drop in trigger and high end optic and kinda fell in love with it. I have a dozen or so ARs that range in quality level of PSA premium to Stag to Daniel defense. Optics range from Sig Romeo 5 to Nikon monarch to aimpoint. So my stuff is "fine" or "acceptable" or "decent" but not nearly as nice as that ADM with the ambi controls, overall aesthetics (because looking good is at least a quarter inch group size reduction), and a little nicer impulse feel. Was nice just running an unfamiliar rifle and optic as fast or faster than my own.

Anyway, that got me thinking, makes more sense to dump a couple three $800ish builds and replace with one Gucci. Either off the shelf or build from scratch.

While looking at complete builds, radian weapons mod1 looked like exactly what I want. Other than the $2200ish price tag (with mil/Leo discount) I like it.

So what else is out there I should check out? I do like the integrated ambi controls. I saw CMT and Lantac receiver sets that looked like a good start. Kind of thinking $400ish for a stripped receiver set or $1800ish for a factory rifle (minus optic) is where I want to be. Yeah....want a Gucci rifle but really want it on a BCM or DD budget

Oh...."just get the American Defense if you liked it so much" seems like a good answer. Makes perfect sense. However, I get kind of hung up "I liked your rifle so much I went out and bought a duplicate for myself" just seems like an uninspired, unoriginal, bitch move to me. Sure an individual piece of kit or part, yeah, I like yours so much I'm getting one for myself. But just copying another guys whole weapon I don't want to do.....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with wanting something new, and the Radian weapons are nice. Are you leaning towards building, buying, or searching for a good price and going from there?

ETA- If you are pretty sold on the idea of a Radian, let me know.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You owe it to yourself to at least look at KAC. I don’t have much time on mine and it actually had to go in from warranty work after the first range trip, but From everything I’ve heard and read I must be the unlucky 1% of that. There are great reviews on Radian, Triarc, Noveske (depending...), Hodge, etc, but even Hodge which is easily regarded as the best of those, doesn’t really do anything special besides the barrel metallurgy. The Mod 2’s gas system is pretty unique, as is the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Nothing wrong with wanting something new, and the Radian weapons are nice. Are you leaning towards building, buying, or searching for a good price and going from there?

Honestly not sure. All I have now are ones I built and most of those on 80% lowers I machined. So I'm comfortable building.

That makes me recoil a bit at a price tag > $1800ish...receiver set, furniture, rail, trigger, barrel....yeah it all adds up but still seems a lot less expensive building.

I do my own cerakote work so paying extra for that feels "dirty". Paying for a basic MOE stock, plastic magpul buis, shorter than ~15" rail - i.e stuff i would buy on a complete rifle just to turn around & swap out - makes me shy away from off the shelf. BUT....I look at the Radian or the ADM or whatever & if it checks enough boxes, I think that would be fine. Just don't want to pay a premium price then throw more $ on top of that swapping out parts to have exactly what I want (other than optic of course).

$1800 isn't some magic # or the exact amount of fun money I have.....just when I itemize the parts it seems like what all i want should be around $1800. Maybe I'm way off or missing something big $ on the Radian, but seems like I should be able to build very similar in the $1800ish neighborhood. Not knocking them or calling out too high a price tag - brand name/reputation, attention to detail assembling, guarantee, incoming QC on parts, initial design work, etc - that's all worth something.

Also, I don't really keep up on who makes what or every single player in the game. So there might be some awesome ambi off the shelf rifles out there that i don't know about because I haven't seen one. Put it this way, Trijicon MROs were on the shelf a good 9 months before I ever knew they existed I just don't keep up with this stuff...
    Last edited by CMV; 06-20-19 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMV View Post
    Honestly not sure. All I have now are ones I built and most of those on 80% lowers I machined. So I'm comfortable building.

That makes me recoil a bit at a price tag > $1800ish...receiver set, furniture, rail, trigger, barrel....yeah it all adds up but still seems a lot less expensive building.

I do my own cerakote work so paying extra for that feels "dirty". Paying for a basic MOE stock, plastic magpul buis, shorter than ~15" rail - i.e stuff i would buy on a complete rifle just to turn around & swap out - makes me shy away from off the shelf. BUT....I look at the Radian or the ADM or whatever & if it checks enough boxes, I think that would be fine. Just don't want to pay a premium price then throw more $ on top of that swapping out parts to have exactly what I want (other than optic of course).

$1800 isn't some magic # or the exact amount of fun money I have.....just when I itemize the parts it seems like what all i want should be around $1800. Maybe I'm way off or missing something big $ on the Radian, but seems like I should be able to build very similar in the $1800ish neighborhood. Not knocking them or calling out too high a price tag - brand name/reputation, attention to detail assembling, guarantee, incoming QC on parts, initial design work, etc - that's all worth something.

Also, I don't really keep up on who makes what or every single player in the game. So there might be some awesome ambi off the shelf rifles out there that i don't know about because I haven't seen one. Put it this way, Trijicon MROs were on the shelf a good 9 months before I ever knew they existed I just don't keep up with this stuff...
    Radian has been the best of the ambi lowers ever since they came out a long time ago. I like KAC, but Radian just wins hands down for ambi. I don't think anyone else is a close second. I'm not sure how important that is for you. The trigger is very nice in them, and the barrels are SS and very accurate.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Your dozen ARs with optics at a conservative $1000 each would get you NODs, a Full power PEQ, a KAC SR15 and a T2 with like 8 cases of ammo.

Why would you buy a dozen poverty rifles when you could get a complete quality kit?

Sell all that shit and start over.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Your dozen ARs with optics at a conservative $1000 each would get you NODs, a Full power PEQ, a KAC SR15 and a T2 with like 8 cases of ammo.

Why would you buy a dozen poverty rifles when you could get a complete quality kit?

Sell all that shit and start over.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Just be aware that in some cases complete guns are more than the sum of their parts. However if you have 12 AR patterned guns you should have a good idea what specifically you're looking for. If you haven't, then you wasted a bunch of time and money...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

This and euro’s post sum up my thoughts. I like redundancy for a backup or 2, outside if that, its cash just sitting there. Id sell most, get 2 good guns (whatever you want) a silencer, nods and/or thermal(especially if you night hunt), a good sight, etc. buy a bunch of ammo and train.

The gun really doesnt matter. A good shooter with a 6920 will demolish a mediocre shooter with the best gear.

If you just want to collect guns, thats a different story.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-20-19 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Radian has been the best of the ambi lowers ever since they came out a long time ago. I like KAC, but Radian just wins hands down for ambi. I don't think anyone else is a close second. I'm not sure how important that is for you. The trigger is very nice in them, and the barrels are SS and very accurate.
    I want one of their lowers.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast