Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic recoil buffers

Feedback Score

Hydraulic recoil buffers

These never seem to have caught on in any significant way, although someone must be buying them as some companies are making them:

https://www.kyntec.com/shop/

So, what are the pros and cons of such a device? Any chance of a fluid leak?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I remember them being one of the many gimmicks offered to correct what we now know to be massive over-gassing buy idiots who spec out barrels.

I can't think of a legit reason to introduce such an item to a system that doesn't need it when gassed correctly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Internet not friendly to them... do they work? Very much so
    http://www.defensereview.com/hydraul...sshair-buffers

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've only used the enidine (first one broke). It works to soften the recoil impulse a bit, but also requires a very definite tug to lock the bolt back manually. Based on my sample size of one breaking (it was replaced); I've just shied away from them. The replacement has not broken but then I have not used it much as most of my rifles have the A5 system, which works well for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Always seemed like a solution in search of a problem, to me.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    When they fail, does it cause stoppages, or does it act like a regular H1 or whatever buffer?

Edit: I mean in a semi only gun.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-24-19 at 07:37. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    When mine went from the article, it was while shooting a stage at a 3gun match. It still worked, I just noticed rifle recoil felt weird. Swapped it out for H2 to finish the match. Replaced it with Crosshair hydrualic buffer still going strong.

Feedback Score
    For less money, you can get a complete A5 setup.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Why I’m interested in this thread: I’m “building” a game gun. Previously, I’ve competed with rifles that are suitable for putting in work. Usually whatever is found at my bedside. Setting up a proper game gun has created an interest in such things as muzzle brakes and lightweight carriers. I have a colleague that swears by hydraulic buffers, including in a duty weapon (not my style). So I might put one in this game gun, along with the first non-mount brake I’ve had on a AR since 05. I’ll take a regular carrier to a machine shop to take some grams off the tail, because I’m not ready to make a leap to exotic materials.

Jeff, what brand buffer do you recommend (ITAR does not affect me)? Do you use a regular Colt spring? Are these doodads compatible with a non-full mass carrier? Is a hydraulic buffer useful if I already have an adjustable gas block, or is it a waste at that point?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I have both kynshot and crosshair buffers in rifles, I prefer crosshair now. I use stock spring. I don't know about low mass carrier. But for me to get lightest recoil, hydrualic buffer with comp muzzle brake and adjustable gas system. Piston or DI, I have hydrualic buffers in most my guns. Both adjustable gas and standard gas, adjustable gas way to go to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast