Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voluntary installation of a vehicle breathalyzer (Illinois)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Voluntary installation of a vehicle breathalyzer (Illinois)

I own a vehicle that I wish to share with another person who struggles with alcoholism. This person cannot be trusted to drive soberly. I know some will simply say that I should not share my vehicle. I get that. That's what I'm currently doing, but it's not working out very well for my current situation.

I am interested in voluntarily installing an ignition interlock device, or IID (I should say having the device installed by a professional) in my car. What kind of cost would I be looking at (vehicle is an 06 RAV4), and does anyone have a recommendation for the Chicagoland area?

Feedback Score
    No recommendations and not sure what cost would be if just purchasing one

My brother got 2 DUIs years ago (sober now) and had to get an ignition interlock system for 6 months or so to restore his driving privileges really.

Cost was sound $180 a month and he basically "rented" it for the time he had it

I would suggest googling ignition interlock and your area to find places that install them. There where several options in our area and it isn't a big city. You could also probably call a probation office and ask them who does it

Alcolock might be an option to buy one from but I just looked at their website and they said leasing is cheaper (not sure if accurate

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check eBay

Feedback Score
    We have a big DUI problem in New Mexico, and I have heard the interlock system costs around $1300 installed.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    This person cannot be trusted to drive soberly.
    I won’t insult your post and just simply say not to do this so here is an answer you don’t want that may help you one way or another.

The quote above says everything you need to know.

You are asking for advice on what is the equivalent of giving Adam Lanza the keys to the gun safe. Interlock or not, if people want to drive, sooner or later they just defeat the interlock, it’s not difficult. Knowingly giving an alcoholic a dangerous weapon could easily find you on the wrong side of a civil action.

I won’t ask details of your situation but obviously your friend needs to get from a to b and not doing so is negatively affecting your life in some way... okay.

1. Sell the vehicle outright
    2. Public transportation
    3. Treatment

An interlock will not protect you or the car the way you think it will.

I reconstruct fatal crashes involving drunk drivers for a living and put them in prison.

The prices stated so far have all been accurate.

Good luck to you and your friend.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No disrespect, but get him a bus pass. The problem today is that when we help our friends/family, they frequently choose to ignore the lesson and don't make big changes necessary to improve their situation.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    I won’t insult your post and just simply say not to do this so here is an answer you don’t want that may help you one way or another.

You are asking for advice on what is the equivalent of giving Adam Lanza the keys to the gun safe. Interlock or not, if people want to drive, sooner or later they just defeat the interlock, it’s not difficult. Knowingly giving an alcoholic a dangerous weapon could easily find you on the wrong side of a civil action.

I won’t ask details of your situation but obviously your friend needs to get from a to b and not doing so is negatively affecting your life in some way... okay.

2. Public transportation
    3. Treatment

I reconstruct fatal crashes involving drunk drivers for a living and put them in prison.

I read the OP's post and then scrolled down to find this which I believe is 100% correct.
    I wouldn't touch this issue with a ten foot pole.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I own a vehicle that I wish to share with another person who struggles with alcoholism. This person cannot be trusted to drive soberly. I know some will simply say that I should not share my vehicle. I get that. That's what I'm currently doing, but it's not working out very well for my current situation.

I am interested in voluntarily installing an ignition interlock device, or IID (I should say having the device installed by a professional) in my car. What kind of cost would I be looking at (vehicle is an 06 RAV4), and does anyone have a recommendation for the Chicagoland area?
    I respect what you're trying to do, but in my experience, interlock devices are a hinderance to the person and nothing more. There are plenty of workarounds for them if they want. You're not being honest with yourself if you think it will make a difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post

2. Public transportation
    3. Treatment

Difficult or not, please listen to the above. You are not helping things by allowing your friend with a serious problem to drive your car.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Without knowing more about the OP's situation it's difficult to offer advice. I'll be the first example. I have a couple or three drinks every night. I don't drink before 5pm and get up every morning at 5:30 without an alarm clock. I don't go anywhere where alcohol may be served except by taxi/uber yet my mother and youngest brother label me a hopeless drunk! Is there a such a thing as a responsible alcoholic?? Not when it comes to loaning him a car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast