Thread: Glock frame/slide parts

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Glock frame/slide parts

I was tight on funds but wanted to get a couple of pistol purchases in before the new WA state gun laws take effect July 1st. I picked up a couple of stripped Glock 17 frames, since I can just buy completion kits to build them later. My plan is to buy a few Glock OEM parts kits, but I wanted to know if there are any parts I should "upgrade". Specifically I was wondering about the Apex Tactical Failure Resistant Extractor and factory spec'd 17-4ph steel parts (firing pin, guide rod, safety plunger). Are 17-4ph SS parts an upgrade in this application, or simply a marketing ploy?
    Last edited by AAMP84; 06-21-19 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    I was tight on funds but wanted to get a couple of pistol purchases in before the new WA state gun laws take effect July 1st. I picked up a couple of stripped Glock 17 frames, since I can just buy completion kits to build them later. My plan is to buy a few Glock OEM parts kits, but I wanted to know if there are any parts I should "upgrade". Specifically I was wondering about the Apex Tactical Failure Resistant Extractor and factory spec'd 17-4ph steel parts (firing pin, guide rod, safety plunger). Are 17-4ph SS parts an upgrade in this application, or simply a marketing ploy?
    The Apex extractor is the only "upgrade" I'd consider if you're building a Gen 3 or 4 Glock. The other stuff is a waste of money, especially the guide rod if it's a Gen 4 gun (I don't know if the OEM Gen 4/5 dual spring assembly is compatible with Gen 3s, but if it is, that's the way to go). I put the Apex safety plunger in my Gen 3 19 and I could not tell the slightest difference. Put some light hand buffing into the OEM plunger and you'll probably get the same or better results as with the Apex part.
    Last edited by sundance435; 06-21-19 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP, might I ask where you got the Glock frames?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Omaha Outdoors. They're gen 3s, couldn't find gen 4 frames in stock.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Awesome thank you. I'm the same boat in WA with all the coming BS.

If I were you, I'd stay with stock internals.

I hear good things about the Apex extractor, so I guess if starting from scratch it couldn't hurt. I am fortunate I've not had problems with any of our Glock extractors, in 9mm or .40.

Very cool project idea, what you're doing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The APEX extractor goes in all my carry Glocks.