Thread: Russian civilians can own AK's that we can't.

Feedback Score

Russian civilians can own AK's that we can't.

So apparently, Russian civilians can own semi-auto AK's now. Perhaps it's been that way for a while but I'm just now learning of this and think it's great for them. Found tons of videos of Russian civilians running various semi-auto AK's at both formal gun ranges and non formal ones. One video that was in English mentioned no limits on barrel length but the rifles can't be fired with the stocks folded though the stocks fold anyway. None of these are modified either, basically factory production semi-auto AK 100 series types and now apparently the AK 12/15's will be available for civilians soon. One thing interesting was the number of 223 caliber AK's they have which seemed to be very popular. However they can also own semi-auto AK's in 5.45 and 7.62x39. I figured they just could own shotguns or bolt guns for hunting but I guess that's all changed. I also saw some Saiga Vityaz 9mm's which one video mentioned are popular for home defense, SVD's in 308 being used for hunting, literally tons of videos out there with Russian civilians running their semi auto AK's. I just thought it was really cool. You can do a youtube search under "Сайга MK 223" or "Сайга MK 5.45" etc. They can start with smoothbore weapons then after five years can own standard weapons buying up to five at a time with a license with restrictions on criminals etc.

Article from the TFB about the new AK-12's and AK-15's soon being made for their civilians.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ed-saiga-ak12/

Video with a Russian firearms owner comparing his 223 AK to his 5.45 AK.

Just thought this was neat as the best deterrent to an invasion is a well armed population.

RR77

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The Russians are less concerned about someone invading them than they are about their own people rebelling against the government, hence why the Russian state has and continues to maintain a monopoly on picking and choosing who can possess guns.

This change simply allows those loyal to the regime to have guns at home.

(The Russian concern for an invasion is addressed by teaching every high school student how to field strip the AK and having enough stockpiled - in government arsenals, of course - to arm them all.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The Russians are less concerned about someone invading them than they are about their own people rebelling against the government, hence why the Russian state has and continues to maintain a monopoly on picking and choosing who can possess guns.
    The only requirements I could find was that they have to start with smoothbore weapons for five years then later they can apply for a license to own standard rifles as long as they have a clean criminal record. It seems however they have less restrictions on the types of firearms than a good portion of our states here along with no restriction on SBR's. Saw quite a few videos of the mid-length AK 100 series being run by civilians. I don't think they have civilian legal centerfire handguns yet, I know they have pepperball pistols for self defense but imagine it's just a matter of time as they do have quite a few competitive shooters and it seems to be an increasingly popular sport over there. One video in English did mention that the Saiga-9 was very popular over there for home defense. Which we now have a US made variant of the Saiga 9 available here which is kind of cool. Tim does a good review of it which I included a link below. I just thought it was really interesting, they probably have firearms forum nerds like we have here.

Kalashnikov USA KR9

RR77
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 06-21-19 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Forgotten Weapons just did a video of and how to obtain legal firearms in Russia. Maybe a week or two ago.

Feedback Score
    Ducti Amore Patriae

Feedback Score
    That's a good video to detail what they can own. They can own military surplus firearms as long as they are converted to semi auto. No magazine restrictions other than being sold with ten round mags essentially and must be "training for IPSC" if using them on the range for anything more than ten rounds- though it seems no one cares. Can actually own a pistol but it has to be left at a club for competition purposes. Their laws may not be as free as ours but in some ways they have a few less restrictions- which is interesting.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 06-22-19 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    That's a good video to detail what they can own. They can own military surplus firearms as long as they are converted to semi auto. No magazine restrictions other than being sold with ten round mags essentially and must be "training for IPSC" if using them on the range for anything more than ten rounds- though it seems no one cares. Can actually own a pistol but it has to be left at a club for competition purposes. Their laws may not be as free as ours but in some ways they have a few less restrictions- which is interesting.
    Just like Canada.

And most of Europe.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Just like Canada.

And most of Europe.

Maybe a few years ago but from what I understand a lot of that has changed especially among EU countries. Canada has become more restrictive as well. I was simply amazed though that Russia of all places allowed for that level of ownership. I know that Czech Republic and Slovenia have fairly decent access to firearms including handguns. Would be nice to compile a list of countries and their respective laws.