Thread: The Old Guy Workout :)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The Old Guy Workout :)

Yes, my “hard core” days are over. When I was younger, my priority was getting bigger and stronger, and that was basically it. These days, I’m often experimenting with my own programming in an attempt to find a balance strength, conditioning, and body composition, that fits my schedule, goals, etc. As we age, it’s common our personal priorities change, and mine have too. I’m more interested in overall fitness than I am say adding a new PB to my 1RM to the bench press (have not benched in years, but for sake of example…) and so I don’t tend to worry too much if something I’m doing is not say optimal for strength or increasing muscle mass, if it fits my overall goals. As we age, we often accumulate some injuries, perhaps degenerated discs, or loss of cartilage in joints, and so forth, and have to work with them or around them as quitting is not an option. It may also be time is limited, and or, an increased focus on cardiopulmonary fitness exists. That person may also hate doing aerobic work, like me…I will conclude this section by saying; older I get and the more time I spend in the gym or out, the more I find I benefit from blended programs, or “hybrid” programs, or what some may view as concurrent programing, but more on that later on.

This is a program I have been following recently that checks off the boxes for my needs and goals, your mileage may differ, but it may be something you wanna try for a change, may kickstart some motivation and such. If there’s one thing you learn after decades in the gym is, don’t underestimate motivation! I’ll take a less than optimal program that I’m motivated to do over the most uber modern program I don’t enjoy any day. When I do seminars, and someone invariably asks “what’s the best program or form of exercise?” I will always respond with “the best program is that program you’ll actually follow year in and year out.” Sure, someone who has a specific goal in mind who has been at it some time, there’s approaches they will need to follow to get those results to be sure, but for many, motivation and long term consistency is their major progress killer. They often find themselves in paralysis by analysis in search of the “perfect” program and end up doing nothing in my experience. That’s one reason I recommend finding exercise approaches that keep people motivated vs being the “perfect” program per se, but that’s another topic for another day.

Cont:

https://brinkzone.com/the-brinkzone-old-guy-workout/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Yes, my “hard core” days are over. When I was younger, my priority was getting bigger and stronger, and that was basically it. These days, I’m often experimenting with my own programming in an attempt to find a balance strength, conditioning, and body composition, that fits my schedule, goals, etc. As we age, it’s common our personal priorities change, and mine have too. I’m more interested in overall fitness
    This is where I've been for the past couple of years. I'm over 50 so I think I qualify as 'old guy' now. I was doing really well keeping up my overall fitness until my last motorcycle accident 3 years ago, which stopped me from doing some of my normal activities (running, lifting weights, swimming and indoor rock climbing) for a while. Even now, I can't run/jog anymore and have to look to other activities for my cardio and indoor rock climbing has become my main source of exercise as it's a good all-round activity.

My long-term goal moving forward is pretty much: maintain a satisfactory level of fitness and avoid injury. Good article, Will!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    This is where I've been for the past couple of years. I'm over 50 so I think I qualify as 'old guy' now. I was doing really well keeping up my overall fitness until my last motorcycle accident 3 years ago, which stopped me from doing some of my normal activities (running, lifting weights, swimming and indoor rock climbing) for a while. Even now, I can't run/jog anymore and have to look to other activities for my cardio and indoor rock climbing has become my main source of exercise as it's a good all-round activity.

My long-term goal moving forward is pretty much: maintain a satisfactory level of fitness and avoid injury. Good article, Will!
    Thanx, may be the program you should try then, and or parts there of as they fit your recs.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Will,
    I am 76 years old, 6'-0", 242 lbs., with a 44" waist. Because of a foot problem, my doctor ordered me not to walk more than I have to and no weight training for the past six months. I lost 30 lbs. due to diet only. My daughter said I look weak and scrawny due to the muscle loss in the upper body: arms, should
    ers. I am no couch potato as I handled, mixed, and poured 144 bags of concrete last fall for a deck I am building at the back of my house. I need to gain strength back and maybe some muscle to look a little better. If you were me, would you follow the Old Guy Workout? Or would you modify it in some way? I have dumbbells and a treadmill and I would train at home.
    Thanks for your consideration.
    Larry Chmiel

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Chmiel View Post
    Will,
    I am 76 years old, 6'-0", 242 lbs., with a 44" waist. Because of a foot problem, my doctor ordered me not to walk more than I have to and no weight training for the past six months. I lost 30 lbs. due to diet only. My daughter said I look weak and scrawny due to the muscle loss in the upper body: arms, should
    ers. I am no couch potato as I handled, mixed, and poured 144 bags of concrete last fall for a deck I am building at the back of my house. I need to gain strength back and maybe some muscle to look a little better. If you were me, would you follow the Old Guy Workout? Or would you modify it in some way? I have dumbbells and a treadmill and I would train at home.
    Thanks for your consideration.
    Larry Chmiel
    It's impossible for me to really answer that via one net post on a forum. I don't know you, have not assessed you, etc, etc.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info: