Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Patriot

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    How about everyone work together to preserve freedom? Neither statism or anarchy is a good choice. Everyone wants to be free, but nobody wants to lift a finger to defend it unless it specifically involves themselves.
    I didn't say statists and hand wringers shouldn't get driven in to the ground when they are unable to control their urges. That goes hand in hand with opposing legal exemptions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    It seems that Patriotism requires a group effort - a community of like minded folks? It reminds me of the definition of a Church - a body of like minded believers, not a physical building.

However, like the Mountain Man and his wife I interacted with, I still tend to think you can be a Patriot without anyone else around because why should your Patriotism need to be validated by another person?
    In a group of like minded people there lies strength. We lean on one another when we are weary - mentally or physically - we take courage and heart from the presence and examples of others.

"I've" helped build houses, wells in far off places, a homeless shelter, and helped feed thousands of people through the work of both my hands and my money. That is the power of unity. I left my old Church for the one I attend now because I did not see Faith being put into action.

So I kind of equate Patriotism and Faith.

Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. Is just as valid if you substitute 'Patriotism' for faith.

In terms of Patriotism and Faith, I'm more of a St Francis of Assisi guy. He said “Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words.”

So, I'm going to say that you can't be a true Patriot without works, it is dependent on how you define works. If said Mountain Man is concerned about the welfare of the United States and does something like pray each night for the preservation of our Union, then, yeah, he is a Patriot. If he decided to check out with nary a backwards glance, then, no, he's not.

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

ETA: You need to be in a Church (united with a body of believers) because God wants us to come together as a family of believers. "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-26-19 at 13:59.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The U.S. used to be a melting pot. These days our fire has died down because no one seems to be tending it. About the only thing our pot is melting now, is snowflakes.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    ...Do you have to find God in a Church, or can you find God on horseback in the middle of nowhere?

I think one can find God in many places on this Earth and that a building with a cross or a bunch of other people looking is the least likely place. Horseback in the middle of nowhere, sitting on a surfboard between swells, in the middle of nowhere under the stars, standing at the summit of a mountain watching the sun rise from below the clouds on the horizon....pick your spot, you'll know when your touched by the hand of divine presence.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    I think one can find God in many places on this Earth and that a building with a cross or a bunch of other people looking is the least likely place. Horseback in the middle of nowhere, sitting on a surfboard between swells, in the middle of nowhere under the stars, standing at the summit of a mountain watching the sun rise from below the clouds on the horizon....pick your spot, you'll know when your touched by the hand of divine presence.
    I agree, You can find God anywhere in Nature. Not sure I agree with your assessment about Churches, but, then again Churches are not for Saints, they are for sinners to come closer to God.

Without going into details, I found God just about sunset by a pond, He let me know eavery thing would be okay, and it was, just not the way I wanted. Finding God is easy, it is following that is hard. For me, anyways.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    The U.S. used to be a melting pot. These days our fire has died down because no one seems to be tending it. About the only thing our pot is melting now, is snowflakes.
    The USA was never a melting pot.

Black citizens lived in terror of the Klan and the Sheriff, which were sometimes the same thing. They got the short end of every stick. They had slavery until 1865, apartheid until 1965, discrimination until . . . ??

During the great waves of European white immigration, you saw "Irish need not apply" and all white subgroups fought among each other: Italians, Irish, East Europe, you name it.

Etc.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned God and Church, which tends to create thread creep. I have a strong belief in a supreme being and I believe I am alive today because of that faith. However, organized religion including Churches have become too much like a business, with a focal point of money. Sometimes I have to get away from it and just seek God in my own quiet place, and I have a lot of quiet places to chose from. There are various levels of faith and religious participation, and I have a problem with a one sized fits all relationship with God. Every religion pre-packages God and yells: "We have the True God here".

Politics has also become too much of a business, with too much big money. Our political leaders have a major disconnect between the average citizen. I find a lot of it distasteful, and it's getting harder to even tune into politics on the radio or TV. Labels are backwards these days with Anti-Fascists the actual fascists. Democrats are not even close to being democratic in their agenda. And the word Patriot gets used too much, by too many different people. Hardcore Alt-Right radicals claim the mantle of Patriot, as do some of the neo-Nazi types. I'm not even sure anyone really knows what the title of Patriot means. For me, I don't use it because I call myself and old-fashioned Conservative. I believe in the original intent of the Constitution and am a small government, low taxes, socially Conservative person. Just like the word Hero (which I don't like), I don't use the word Patriot. If you use such words too much, it seems to lessen their value.
    Last edited by OH58D; 06-26-19 at 20:56.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by TomMcC; 06-27-19 at 02:39. Reason: wgac

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345