Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Patriot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    The key is to understand that the United States is not all bad - don't become jaded and too cynical. You've always had good and bad in the US Government going all the way back to the beginning. The founding government created here is wonderful, and it's only people who corrupt things, either for greed or destructive intent. Case in point was Obama. He kept blathering about the fundamental transformation of the United States. You don't fundamentally transform something you love. Instead you fix it, repair what has been damaged, but keep it going.

Don't get too hung up on labels like "Patriot". For me I'm just an ordinary guy who benefited from a system of government which was handed to me from others who also benefited from it. We need to protect it, nurture it and keep it going. We have so many more freedoms here that even our Western Allies cannot enjoy. It's worth fighting for. Too many of these young studs and stud-ettes have no perspective on things, never been anywhere, but constantly rag out on the United States. I've seen other parts of the World and believe me, this is the best deal going.
    I have never thought my country was bad. Just the direction that many want to take it.
    Do you ever get a chance to fly anymore?
    Last edited by prepare; 06-23-19 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    "The modern patriotism, the true patriotism, the only rational patriotism is loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it."
    -Mark Twain, The Czar's Soliloquy
    *like*

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I love my country. I just find myself very distrustful of the government.
    Knowing what you know now at 59 do you trust your government enough to still answer the call to serve without hesitation or questioning what you're risking your life for? I get that a lot guys that serve in combat are fighting for the guys they're with...but that's not the same as fighting for your nation.
    I would die protecting my nation. I would not for the likes of Pelosi, Clinton, Shumer or even Obama.
    I was proud to join during Reagan. I served 26 years. Trust me when I say there's a big difference between service under Reagan and Clinton or Bush and Obama.
    No, I do not trust my government regardless of the party in power. Ike was right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I have never though my country was bad. Just the direction that many want to take it.
    Do you ever get a chance to fly anymore?
    Nope, the only "flying" I do in my daily work is from the hurricane deck of a fast Texas Cayuse. However, any of the air frames I flew would not be a problem for me other than learning some of the new avionics. I considered myself a damn good pilot and so did my peers. We had to be to do some of the operations we were involved with. Many times, I was an aerial taxi driver, flying special operations personnel into and out of various locations, preferably not under fire at the time.

And since I retired, I have never put on the uniform for Veterans events and such. Not that I'm ashamed of it, I just don't like to call attention to it like that. Talking about it on forums like this is about the extent of it. No Veterans license plate. I do support ROTC units with my time and I give lectures several times a year, in addition to annual member meetings with my former units. And now having a son in the US Army at West Point gives me a sense of pride, but the concern in the back of your mind only a parent would have. I should note that my eldest son (40 years old) is a US Navy Veteran, serving enlisted as an AE on the USS George Washington (CVN 73). He did 10 years in the Navy, graduating from Great Lakes in 1996, while I was still in the Army. He is now in business, but married to an Air Force Major stationed at Travis Air Force Base, CA. She is a pilot flying the C-17 Globemaster III. That marriage has given me 4 grandkids!!!! I still have a teenage daughter at home, still in High School. So just two sons and a daughter for my marriage, same wife of 41 years!!!.
    Last edited by OH58D; 06-23-19 at 20:38.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Nope, the only "flying" I do in my daily work is from the hurricane deck of a fast Texas Cayuse. However, any of the air frames I flew would not be a problem for me other than learning some of the new avionics. I considered myself a damn good pilot and so did my peers. We had to be to do some of the operations we were involved with. Many times, I was an aerial taxi driver, flying special operations personnel into and out of various locations, preferably not under fire at the time.

And since I retired, I have never put on the uniform for Veterans events and such. Not that I'm ashamed of it, I just don't like to call attention to it like that. Talking about it on forums like this is about the extent of it. No Veterans license plate. I do support ROTC units with my time and I give lectures several times a year, in addition to annual member meetings with my former units. And now having a son in the US Army at West Point gives me a sense of pride, but the concern in the back of your mind only a parent would have. I should note that my eldest son (40 years old) is a US Navy Veteran, serving enlisted as an AE on the USS George Washington (CVN 73). He did 10 years in the Navy, graduating from Great Lakes in 1996, while I was still in the Army. He is now in business, but married to an Air Force Major stationed at Travis Air Force Base, CA. She is a pilot flying the C-17 Globemaster III. That marriage has given me 4 grandkids!!!! I still have a teenage daughter at home, still in High School. So just two sons and a daughter for my marriage, same wife of 41 years!!!.
    Outstanding!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can tell you right now that at my age, if my Country asked me to return to active duty, I'd do it in a second - no second guessing. I spent 22 years in uniform and was within a month or so of promotion to Lieutenant Colonel when my dad died, and I left the Army to take over the family business. It was a hard thing to do. You have to understand that within the armed forces of the United States, your fellow soldiers become like extended family, brothers and sisters. You live the shitty experiences together, you enjoy the good times together. You may question the mission or the reason in the back of your mind, but the job of the military is to kill the enemies of the United States - it's that simple. Been there, done it without hesitation. As a soldier, sailor or airman, you don't get to pick and choose anything - you do the job. And no matter the job, wearing that American Flag on the upper right sleeve makes you feel proud.

Too many times the younger generation tries to rationalize what is acceptable for military action. It's almost like an entire generation of quasi conscientious objectors has been hatched out. They take "high road" and overthink what is acceptable or not for the use of the military, but mask their disdain for that part of our government by wearing the cloak of "Patriot". Too many I have run into are borderline Anarchist Leftists with Libertarian isolationist ideals who own guns, but also show a bit of racism too. Some fit into the category of the Alt-Right. I am finding that there is very little that separates the extreme far Left Antifa type and the far radical Alt-Right type of person. Only a fine line separates the two.

So what is a Patriot? Who knows. I spent time yesterday with a 72 year old mountain man who lives in the Sangre de Cristo range of the Rockies which extend into New Mexico. He was born on Long Island, New York, served two tours in Vietnam in the late 1960's, got a Masters in Cultural Anthropology, taught a while then just tuned out the rest of the world except for his wife and kids. He lives on 40 acres in the mountains with the Mrs. as a mountain man. He makes his own buckskin clothing, has a .54 caliber Hawken and a bolt action .303. He grows his own food and kills what he needs for food and clothing. He has no electric power or modern conveniences. He hates all politicians and politics and just wants to be left alone. Is he a Patriot? Hell, why not. He is loyal to his little piece of dirt on this earth and takes nothing from anyone else for his existence. I'd rather hang with a guy like that, than some mouthy kids who constantly want to be noticed as "Patriots". Just my 2 cents.

I have entertained living such a lifestyle but people like that could easily fit right into Martin Niemoller's paradigm,ie "First they came" so I would not consider that patriotism because he cares little for the condition of his fellow man.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 06-24-19 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Truth, brother. Every day I hear things from friends as close as just across the 49th Parallel that would be goobermint-run-amok Torches & Pitchforks time here, yet they're just Business As Usual there.
    Oh don't worry American inaction and apathy is at a full sprint to catch up with theirs. In 10 years you won't remember the difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    People move the goalposts too much for me to say what I am and am not anymore.

Just don’t be all up in my face asking me to give up anything for other people
    I have to agree with you. Do I really want to fight and die for a bunch of libtards wanting to take my money and give it to the illegal migrants?

Not that I wouldn't grab my M4 and do my part to repel the Red Dawn scenario, but if it's a choice between defending California versus Texas, guess where I'm headed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I have entertained living such a lifestyle but people like that could easily fit right into Martin Niemoller's paradigm,ie "First they came" so I would not consider that patriotism because he cares little for the condition of his fellow man.
    You make a good point, but keep in mind the United States was set up on the concept of Individual Rights and Freedoms, not the Rights and Freedoms of a Collective. Can a person who doesn't interfere with the rights of another, nor do they interact much with the rest of society be considered a Patriot? Can you be a Patriot of One? Unlike other western societies, the United States does allow for the individual, but not getting into the sovereign citizen debate. It certainly affords the individual the right of free speech (at least in past years). The same for freedom of religion and other freedoms which don't involve a collective group.

Case in point was a rancher here in New Mexico who started flying his American Flag upside down after Obama was elected. He claimed America was in distress and flew it that way thru most of the Obama Presidency. This rancher died about a year before Obama left office. This was one Man making his own statement. Was he a Patriot?
    Last edited by OH58D; 06-24-19 at 10:17.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The key is to understand that the United States is not all bad - don't become jaded and too cynical. You've always had good and bad in the US Government going all the way back to the beginning. The founding government created here is wonderful, and it's only people who corrupt things, either for greed or destructive intent. Case in point was Obama. He kept blathering about the fundamental transformation of the United States. You don't fundamentally transform something you love. Instead you fix it, repair what has been damaged, but keep it going.

Don't get too hung up on labels like "Patriot". For me I'm just an ordinary guy who benefited from a system of government which was handed to me from others who also benefited from it. We need to protect it, nurture it and keep it going. We have so many more freedoms here that even our Western Allies cannot enjoy. It's worth fighting for. Too many of these young studs and stud-ettes have no perspective on things, never been anywhere, but constantly rag out on the United States. I've seen other parts of the World and believe me, this is the best deal going.
    As someone who's still in the system, I'm incredibly skeptical of the government we have. I have almost no trust whatsoever in "senior leadership". I see through the BS and I'm always on the lookout for underlying motives.

But I still come to work every day and try to give good results for my community and our people. I want people to know that despite how fouled up our system of government becomes, there are still good people on the inside trying to work for them. Not everything is broken beyond repair.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast