Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg shockwave...practical uses.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I bought a Mossberg in 20 gauge. Figured it'll be good for snakes or varmints. It's in the same next to my other 2 shotties.

I have em but I don't have a good use for them. Yet I'm still tempted to get another.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I'm interested.

They do look like fun. Certainly an application for indoor defense.

I'd like to see such a test. 30 ft and under, in the home, pistol vs one of these bird-head gripped shotguns.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Okay, I'm interested.

They do look like fun. Certainly an application for indoor defense.

I'd like to see such a test. 30 ft and under, in the home, pistol vs one of these bird-head gripped shotguns.
    What makes you justify it for "indoor defense" ?? At indoor distances ranges the shot pattern won't be any bigger than your fist so that means you have to aim it. I'll bet that holding it far enough away to keep it from breaking your face it occupies as much fore and aft space from the muzzle to your shoulder as an 18" barrel on a 12" LOP stock. If it's all you got I suppose it's better than nothing but I would have a hard time justifying home defense as a reason to get one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What makes you justify it for "indoor defense" ?? At indoor distances ranges the shot pattern won't be any bigger than your fist so that means you have to aim it. I'll bet that holding it far enough away to keep it from breaking your face it occupies as much fore and aft space from the muzzle to your shoulder as an 18" barrel on a 12" LOP stock. If it's all you got I suppose it's better than nothing but I would have a hard time justifying home defense as a reason to get one.
    I was thinking it would store easily, be pretty quick into action, and more powerfull than a pistol.

At close range of course you must aim. Watching people do this in video's and once during a competition it doesn't seem that hard.

However further out (20 yds?) Aiming is going to be slower are split times. Depending on the load the spread of shot will compensate a little but of course that means more stray lead.

That's been my thoughts, anyway.

Let's say you have a bad comin' to get ya in your house would you rather he have a pistol and you the Shockwave-type shotgun or vice-versa?

I know there is far more involved it's just a hypothetical.

I guess the question is, "is a Shockwave style shotgun a better weapon than a pistol, ever?".

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I was thinking it would store easily, be pretty quick into action, and more powerfull than a pistol.

At close range of course you must aim. Watching people do this in video's and once during a competition it doesn't seem that hard.

However further out (20 yds?) Aiming is going to be slower are split times. Depending on the load the spread of shot will compensate a little but of course that means more stray lead.

That's been my thoughts, anyway.

Let's say you have a bad comin' to get ya in your house would you rather he have a pistol and you the Shockwave-type shotgun or vice-versa?

I know there is far more involved it's just a hypothetical.

I guess the question is, .
    Let's go from back to front...
    "is a Shockwave style shotgun a better weapon than a pistol, ever?" NO
    "I know there is far more involved it's just a hypothetical" Hypotheticals get you killed.
    "is a Shockwave style shotgun a better weapon than a pistol, ever?" Never IMO
    Are you at the mall? Do you still live with your mom and dad? I started to say parents but realised that is a big word maybe not understood by snowflakes.

Feedback Score
    I guess the question is, is a Shockwave style shotgun a better weapon than a pistol, ever?

I think it's possible. Hopefully I dont have to buy one myself to test the theory.

Feedback Score
    The range master had one and let me shoot it becuase I was the last one left at the range that day.
    It was fun once. Years back, I shot a full size 12 ga with a pistol grip. Both times I was thinking, just get one with a full stock.

The time spent practicing with this to become effective would be better spent staying proficient with a pistol and carbine, for me anyway.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've wanted one since they came out (either Mossberg or Remington). My local shop had a used Tac-14 in 12 gauge that was like new, so I picked it up. I know the US Marshal's found a use for these back in the 80's, so like all guns I use to see as a kid from that era, I wanted one.

I added a Wilson +1 to mine. You definitely need to aim. I'm not sure what purpose it will serve, but I like having it.

My Kel-tec KS7 is probably a better option, since you can actually shoulder it. It also holds more ammo, is easier to aim, and is about the same size (actually shorter). But it's profile is bigger. Although you can loose the carry handle sight and get a lower rail from Kel-tec. And than add flip-up sights.

Here's the Tac-14 at 10 yards with bird shot.

Comparison
    Last edited by Dump1567; 10-23-19 at 12:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
    I've wanted one since they came out (either Mossberg or Remington). My local shop had a used Tac-14 in 12 gauge that was like new, so I picked it up. I know the US Marshal's found a use for these back in the 80's, so like all guns I use to see as a kid from that era, I wanted one.

I added a Wilson +1 to mine. You definitely need to aim. I'm not sure what purpose it will serve, but I like having it.

My Kel-tec KS7 is probably a better option, since you can actually shoulder it. It also holds more ammo, is easier to aim, and is about the same size (actually shorter). But it's profile is bigger. Although you can loose the carry handle sight and get a lower rail from Kel-tec. And than add flip-up sights.
    I was a little interested in the KS7 but in the review videos I saw they dont work well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I was a little interested in the KS7 but in the review videos I saw they dont work well.
    Yea, they seem to be having some teething issues. But Kel-tec has been very responsive. Mine was another used "like new" gun shop find. I've only put 7 rounds of bird shot threw it without any issue (that's all I had on hand), but that doesn't tell the story. I need to go ring mine out to see if it exhibits any real problems. Maybe tomorrow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast