Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg shockwave...practical uses.

Feedback Score
    I finally got to shoot one. About what I expected. The gun worked perfectly with several brands of shells.

It shot high, so a deep 6 o'clock hold is necessary by 15 yds.

Working the action is (even) slower than a pump with a stock because if your firing non-low-recoil shells the fore grip is yanked from your hand when you fire.

Gloves are a huge help, but most of us aren't wearing gloves right when we need a gun.

While I didnt have a problem with the rear grip I can see how eventually there would be an issue where your firing hand slips and the safety cuts you bad. I would place duct tape over the safety to prevent that or smooth it up some to prevent this.

Pushing the gun out and using the bead works fine. At 15 yds (the furthest I fired) putting slugs in a head target is easy.

Inside about 10 yds its easier and faster to just aim and shoot from hip / stomach level. Really. If you can throw a ball and hit a person in the chest from 10 yds in you can do the same with this shotgun.

Yea, Its not a bad weapon at common household ranges. It's easy to store nearby and ready, too. I reccomended lower-recoil ammo though.

Feedback Score
    I've come close to purchasing a Shockwave more than a few times. I simply can't bring myself to do it, as I cannot picture using it for something other than a range toy.

I like the fact it has a decent capacity for what it is and it's a 12 gauge. The short overall length lends itself to easy maneuvering in tight spaces. It's a Mossberg and I'm a fan of their shotguns.

Short length, lower weight and no stock means I can't use it for clay shooting or bird hunting. With the high-stress of a self defense situation, hip firing may lead to errant shots and pushing it out to use the bead may lead to it, at best, shifting in your grip and taking valuable time to regain your grip in addition to working the action.

I prefer my scatterguns to be multi-taskers. The Shockwave and similar seem to fit one use and that's tight quarters self defense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    But a pistol that shoots 18 rounds and is much easier to use, is even better for tight quarters self defense .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    But a pistol that shoots 18 rounds and is much easier to use, is even better for tight quarters self defense .
    For no other reason than I want to argue.....

Hmm, 18 holes, let's see that's two 00B rounds, still three left in the Shockwave, four if you top off the mag tube after you chamber the first round.

465 grains of payload in 9 pellet 00B. That's equivalent to four 115 gr 9mm, at 124grs it is 3.74 rounds.

Just think, the equivalent of 3 or 4 of your pistol bullets, hitting instantly with every round of buckshot. It's even better with #1Buck. What's not to like?

Just kidding, it doesn't work exactly that way
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-14-19 at 02:07.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Rifle > shotgun > pistol.

Pistols are just the most convenient for carrying.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Close quarter gunfights involving shotguns usually don't last long.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Close quarter gunfights involving shotguns usually don't last long.
    ...if you can hit the target. If this is your primay HD tool, I don't want to live next door.

The earlier post using it on a boat for gators or sharks looks like the most realistic use for it.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    ...if you can hit the target. If this is your primay HD tool, I don't want to live next door.
    Why?

My braced TAC-14 is pretty damn close to the 14” 870s we have at work/qualify with. Rifle sights do a hell of a lot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Why?

My braced TAC-14 is pretty damn close to the 14” 870s we have at work/qualify with. Rifle sights do a hell of a lot.
    I would like to have a braced TAC-14, forget the shockwave. Aren't we talking apples and oranges here? Can't you shoulder the tac 14 but not the shockwave?
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    I would like to have a braced TAC-14, forget the shockwave. Aren't we talking apples and oranges here? Can't you shoulder the tac 14 but not the shockwave?
    You can shoulder braces... that is certain. Only thing that changed lately was folding braces are measured folded, so OAL usually isn’t long enough with them.

Doesn’t matter if it is Remington or Mossberg attached to said brace. I’m more of a Remington fan, being I’ve been shooting them for years. Mossberg... just a little too rough for me at those prices. I’d figure like $120 for a gun where I can physically see the bead threads protruding into the barrel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast