Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Accurate Bulk 5.56??

Feedback Score

Question Most Accurate Bulk 5.56??

Looking to replace my go-to for SHTF stacking since MEN has permanently dried up.... Kind of want to stick with 55gr M193, but could be persuaded out of it.

What is the consensus on what brand offers the most accurate/highest quality bulk 5.56 ammo? My own research points towards IMI, which supposedly even beats out MEN according to a few different users who've shot both extensively. One option I've also seen is Magtech's 62gr without the steel penetrator, but I'd rather stick with something I know is in high demand and will be available to purchase for a long time to come.

Thank you in advance for any insight.
    Last edited by kestrel452; 06-22-19 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    IMI m193 is tough to beat in their price range.
    I’ve had good luck with PMC X-Tac 55 gr. as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    IMI m193 is tough to beat in their price range.
    I’ve had good luck with PMC X-Tac 55 gr. as well.
    Thanks for the reply. I’ve heard good things about PMC and IMI. Have you tried MEN or CBC/Magtech M193? Just curious how they stack up against each other.
    Last edited by kestrel452; 06-22-19 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The IMI was more consistent (over chrono) than MEN or CBC/Magtech.
    The MEN, CBC had ESs over 70 FPS where the IMI was half that.
    The IMI was more accurate, particularly past 200 yds.
    Never chrono’d the PMC X-Tac, but accuracy was/is on par with IMI.
    Of those two I’d go with IMI, it’s legit MILSPEC m193.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The IMI was more consistent (over chrono) than MEN or CBC/Magtech.
    The MEN, CBC had ESs over 70 FPS where the IMI was half that.
    The IMI was more accurate, particularly past 200 yds.
    Never chrono’d the PMC X-Tac, but accuracy was/is on par with IMI.
    Of those two I’d go with IMI, it’s legit MILSPEC m193.
    Thanks. I've heard some differing opinions on what kind of accuracy is "mil-spec" for M193. Some say 1 MOA, others 4 MOA. What groups did you see with these brands of ammo? Is the IMI stuff the only genuine mil-spec M193 out there you can get?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    Thanks. I've heard some differing opinions on what kind of accuracy is "mil-spec" for M193. Some say 1 MOA, others 4 MOA. What groups did you see with these brands of ammo? Is the IMI stuff the only genuine mil-spec M193 out there you can get?
    The combination of mil M4s and 855 is supposed to be between 3-4 MOA. I’m not positive about 193, but there’s no way it’s supposed to be at one. Honestly I’d probably be pretty happy if I was able to get a consistent 2.5 with most bulk ammo. I’ve never actually grouped that stuff though so I don’t know how realistic it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    And thats a 3x10 round composite group.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The combination of mil M4s and 855 is supposed to be between 3-4 MOA. I’m not positive about 193, but there’s no way it’s supposed to be at one. Honestly I’d probably be pretty happy if I was able to get a consistent 2.5 with most bulk ammo. I’ve never actually grouped that stuff though so I don’t know how realistic it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This^

2-2.5” at 100 yds (5 shot, benched- ideal conditions) is about the norm from my guns with IMI, add 1/2” for the PMC X-Tac.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Here are information sheets for 5.56 (the ammo itself, both M193 and 855):

https://www.northropgrumman.com/Capa...nFactSheet.pdf

Note M193, fired through a test fixture, is supposed to do about a minute-of-angle (by average mean radius) at 200 yards.

The spec for the M4 and 855 together as a system (MIL-C-71186) is a 5-inch extreme spread at 100 yards (91.4 Meters).

If you want to dig deeper, goggle the mil specs ref'ed in the info sheets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Here are information sheets for 5.56 (the ammo itself, both M193 and 855):

https://www.northropgrumman.com/Capa...nFactSheet.pdf

Note M193, fired through a test fixture, is supposed to do about a minute-of-angle (by average mean radius) at 200 yards.

The spec for the M4 and 855 together as a system (MIL-C-71186) is a 5-inch extreme spread at 100 yards (91.4 Meters).

If you want to dig deeper, goggle the mil specs ref'ed in the info sheets.
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew I had read the 1 MOA requirement somewhere...

It's increasingly sounding like the IMI ammo is the only first-quality (non-reject), mil-spec M193 readily available. Are there any 55gr match quality cartridges out there that will last as long as the milsurp in storage? All of my rifles are zero'd for 55gr ammo, and I'd like to not have my zero shift too much between M193 milsurp and 5.56 match stuff (if that's even possible). I don't foresee doing anything with 5.56 outside of 350-400 yards...I plan to get an M14 for that sort of thing.
    Last edited by kestrel452; 06-23-19 at 15:56.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast