Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Most Accurate Bulk 5.56??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    What rifle had the popped primers?
    Seems to be a take your pic. No pictures in the following thread so you will have to do some searches, but there does seem to be an issue with Frontier. From looking around it seems 55gr 5.56 was the worst, but not only. And Hornady's response claiming out of battery discharge due to dirty chambers isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-5-56-55-grain

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    This stuff shoots great but I have found better consistency with the fiocchi 223 77 and 69 grain loads over this.
    In what way have you seen better consistency? Group size? Gun to gun? Speed?

What are you averaging accuracy wise?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    End of the day it's going to be what your barrel likes. If you have multiple ARs the trick is finding an ammo that all your guns like enough to get the job done.
    Good point was thinking along the same line.

Looks like the highest probability option to start with that gets consensus good reviews everywhere, and few negative reviews about basic QC or reliability issues, is the IMI 77gr 'razor core.' Best price I currently see is .67/rd in 500rd or greater quantity. Some other loads like the Magtech 77gr stuff are available a little cheaper per rd, but I can't find anything other than a few anecdotal reports on its performance/quality, and not all are positive.

When you look at pricing, makes sense why a lot of guys stick with 55gr for bulk, since you can still get it in some cases < .30/rd. You'd be hard pressed to find any quality 77gr bulk for even close to that, closest I see is the Hornady Frontier 75gr at .44/rd. I can live with the extra cost for 77gr because I want even my bulk ammo to be a 77gr projectile that's useful for a wider range of things, including training with loads that have similar trajectories to my other loads, hunting, and having a greater max effective range. But yeah, if *cost* is someone's bottom line, IMI 77gr is roughly 2x the cost of their 55gr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Looks like the highest probability option to start with that gets consensus good reviews everywhere, and few negative reviews about basic QC or reliability issues, is the IMI 77gr 'razor core.' Best price I currently see is .67/rd in 500rd or greater quantity...

I can live with the extra cost for 77gr because I want even my bulk ammo to be a 77gr projectile that's useful for a wider range of things, including training with loads that have similar trajectories to my other loads, hunting, and having a greater max effective range. But yeah, if *cost* is someone's bottom line, IMI 77gr is roughly 2x the cost of their 55gr.

Sure, if cost is no object, then just shoot premium ammo all the time... Why drink beer if you can afford champagne?!

Maybe I'm stingy, but 67˘/round is beyond my "this is worth it" threshhold for "practice" ammo.

I don't want to pay for that kind of performance to shoot at 25-50yds, which is where most of my shooting with my ARs happens.

(NB: I do have some FGMM and some Norma factory ammo loaded with 77gr SMKs, and I'm starting to reload .223, but that's for special occasions and longer distances.)

Even shooting 7.62NATO, milsurp ball ammo at 50˘/round seems like "too much" to me, so I'm starting to reload.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Sure, if cost is no object, then just shoot premium ammo all the time... Why drink beer if you can afford champagne?!

Maybe I'm stingy, but 67˘/round is beyond my "this is worth it" threshhold for "practice" ammo.

I don't want to pay for that kind of performance to shoot at 25-50yds, which is where most of my shooting with my ARs happens.

(NB: I do have some FGMM and some Norma factory ammo loaded with 77gr SMKs, and I'm starting to reload .223, but that's for special occasions and longer distances.)

Even shooting 7.62NATO, milsurp ball ammo at 50˘/round seems like "too much" to me, so I'm starting to reload.
    Well I wouldn't say 'no object' in my case. And totally get the thrifty motive for bulk ammo--which I why I acknowledged it--maybe you missed the last para in my post that you replied to. But yeah, right now I can live with the cost of the 77gr bulk, it's still a big savings over actual match, hunting, or service loads, and has some advantages for my uses as I listed.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I feel like shooting a 77 gr OTM inside of 200 yards is robbing its soul.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I feel like shooting a 77 gr OTM inside of 200 yards is robbing its soul.
    But what if you’re doing it for terminal ballistics? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    But what if you’re doing it for terminal ballistics? Asking for a friend.
    That would be fulfilling its destiny.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I hadn't seen this thread until recently, even though the original post was made a few months ago. I'll admit, I kinda panicked a little hearing MEN M193 was no longer available because coincidentally I just loaded up some magazines for this weekend with it and noticed my current stash is getting a little low. After looking around a little and confirming all my favorite places are out of stock, I started shopping for some IMI (or alternately Magtech) to replace it, based partly on this thread. That's when I found this nice little cache of awesomeness....

https://www.gunbuyer.com/catalogsear...ult/?q=men556a

...some MEN M193 in stock, which I promptly made an order of. I asked their online chat assistant to make sure it was on the floor before placing the order, and she said they have a couple of pallets available. $152.99 per case ($0.30) or $9.99 per box ($0.333) plus shipping. If there's still some left next pay day I'll probably go back for more, but in the meantime, grab it if you want it.

Feedback Score
    Kind of surprised only one person has mentioned Wolf Gold (which I think is basically m193). At under .30 per round I have found this ammo to be capable of approx. 1.5 MOA out of a number of different AR's. Is the IMI and CBC 77gr ammo better? Sure, but in my experience not worth paying twice as much for unless you are shooting at 300+ yards or interested in the ultimate in precision (in which case you should be hand loading or using match ammo).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast