Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Accurate Bulk 5.56??

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Between IMI M193, M855, and PPU 75gr HPBT, I haven't bought an upper that doesn't really like one of those. None of those are pricy options for what they are.
    Blue Blox black hills can be extremely nice, but that secret has been discovered for quite a while now.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stocking up on bulk too, ran across this thread. Have tried everything else listed in thread except the South African, and it's currently out at the several places I shop at.

A few I didn't see mentioned, and haven't tried. Thoughts on these?

* Fiocchi M193. Heard good feedback that this is quality, accurate bulk for the $$.
    * Win M193. Ok, so their story seems to change periodically from ok to not ok over the last 15 years or so. Seems like Win ammo has issues with consistency. I've never tried their any of their 5.56 ammo, but got solid accuracy/performance with their .45 230gr FMJ and 9mm 124gr NATO pistol ammo. Pricing is close enough to the other bulk options. Good to go, or currently one to avoid?

Couple other Q's on people's bulk ammo use:
    * Does anybody just stock up on M855 as your single all-purpose bulk round for training, blasting, SHTF, whatever, so that you have more consistency with a 62gr bulk load for all your general purpose use and blasting across all rifles/optics?
    * For bulk ammo, are you getting better accuracy out of M855 (pick your favorite brand), or M193?
    Last edited by maximus83; 09-10-19 at 18:54.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Stocking up on bulk too, ran across this thread. Have tried everything else listed in thread except the South African, and it's currently out at the several places I shop at.

* Fiocchi M193. Heard good feedback that this is quality, accurate bulk for the $$.
    * Win M193. Ok, so their story seems to change periodically from ok to not ok over the last 15 years or so. Seems like Win ammo has issues with consistency. I've never tried their any of their 5.56 ammo, but got solid accuracy/performance with their .45 230gr FMJ and 9mm 124gr NATO pistol ammo. Pricing is close enough to the other bulk options. Good to go, or currently one to avoid?

* Does anybody just stock up on M855 as your single all-purpose bulk round for training, blasting, SHTF, whatever, so that you have more consistency with a 62gr bulk load for all your general purpose use and blasting across all rifles/optics?
    * For bulk ammo, are you getting better accuracy out of M855 (pick your favorite brand), or M193?
    855 is a wast of money. Costs more but performance really isn’t there to justify it. I’ve never payed for it and never plan to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    855 is a waste of money. Costs more but performance really isn’t there to justify it. I’ve never payed for it and never plan to.

This is my sense, too. The oddball armor-penetrating qualities of 855 don't hold any appeal, and the crummy accuracy and higher cost are deal-breakers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The only upside to M855 is that it's a robust round. It's sealed, ball powder, full powered... but actual performance and accuracy isn't good at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    855 is a wast of money. Costs more but performance really isn’t there to justify it. I’ve never payed for it and never plan to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This is my sense, too. The oddball armor-penetrating qualities of 855 don't hold any appeal, and the crummy accuracy and higher cost are deal-breakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The only upside to M855 is that it's a robust round. It's sealed, ball powder, full powered... but actual performance and accuracy isn't good at all.
    All of this is true. I only have a stockpile because I got several thousand rounds for really cheap. I only buy more of it when its the cheapest available 5.56. Most of the time when I buy 62gr 5.56, I go for lead core projectiles.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So the comment about 62gr raises another Q before I refresh my stockpile. I've always gotten mostly 55gr/193 bulk, but the current rifles are all either 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrels. With better quality defensive, match, or hunting ammo, I'm always using heavier loads than 55gr.

Wondering if, before I just go get another large quantity of M193, it's worth testing some 62gr (other than M855) and 75/77gr bulk stuff. I wouldn't mind paying a little more per rd for better accuracy and performance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wondering if, before I just go get another large quantity of M193, it's worth testing some 62gr (other than M855) and 75/77gr bulk stuff. I wouldn't mind paying a little more per rd for better accuracy and performance.
    It's worth it to me. I phased all 55 gr out years ago and have all 77/75 gr with a can of M855 in there too. Any ammo is better than NO ammo... but while I have the luxury of picking, I stepped up to nicer projectiles.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yeah.
    I shoot a lot of CBC 77 gr. OTM.
    The Sierra bullet is GTG but the crazy high ES's produce "phantom" fliers, which are more noticeable past 300 yds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've gone through like 1200 rounds of that Winchester White Box 55gr in the 200 round boxes that Walmart sells (or used to sell...) It's not marked as M193 anywhere but it was reliable and seemed comparable to M193 in terms of accuracy.

I only have about 400 rounds of M855 on hand at the moment, with the vast majority of everything else I have being some flavor of M193. I did once get pretty decent accuracy (again, by military ball standards) with some Bosnian M855.

Federal XM193 and Wolf Gold .223 are what I currently shoot the most of. Wolf Gold is alleged to basically just be Taiwanese M193 Although I kinda question if Wolf or any other ammo distributor would label 5.56 as .223 due to the potential issues involved. In any case I like Wolf Gold quite a bit as range ammo.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast