Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK SP5K / MP5s

Feedback Score

HK SP5K / MP5s

For someone who knows absolutely nothing about the HK MP5, where would be a good place to start?

I noticed the SP5k is current production. Is there anything to note about these compared to a regular MP5?

Ammunition requirements? How well do they handle JHPs or are they ball-only, etc.

How does recoil compare to a 9mm AR or similar PCC?

What kind of maintenance schedule or parts availability should I know about.

If I wanted to go the SBR route, what's involved beyond removing the end cap and replacing with any of the stock assemblies at hkparts.net?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    For someone who knows absolutely nothing about the HK MP5, where would be a good place to start?

I noticed the SP5k is current production. Is there anything to note about these compared to a regular MP5?

Ammunition requirements? How well do they handle JHPs or are they ball-only, etc.

How does recoil compare to a 9mm AR or similar PCC?

What kind of maintenance schedule or parts availability should I know about.

If I wanted to go the SBR route, what's involved beyond removing the end cap and replacing with any of the stock assemblies at hkparts.net?
    I have a friend that owns every possible HK sub gun MP5, SP5K, UMP in all calibers and he told me to buy a Zenith with brace. It is made with HK equipment and has upgrades. 3 Lug adapter, mag release...Check those out, and you dont have to SBR it because it already is.

Feed it any and all ammo.

Recoil is nothing to speak of.

Ive never cleaned mine.

Dont need to SBR it but you can always do so. The place you buy it from should be able to help you SBR it if you want to.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I second what papabear said - buy a zenith and put a sb tactical HKPDW brace on it (my brace is on order). I have several sbrs and may do this one at some point - I just didn’t want to deal with 922r at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have an SP5K that has been sbr'd. If you can swing the cash...I would go HK. Two push pins are removed to swap stocks I went with the Choate folder. I'm running a mix of ETS & factory HK mags, both have been flawless.
    The paddle mag release from HK Parts is also a must have, it's expensive...but worth it..
    Buy +2, & +4 rollers, a few roller retaining plates, a few extra extractor springs...(remove, & clean under the extractor every 500 rounds or so) & shoot the bejeezus out of it.
    Mine handles JHP's with no issue, & is as soft shooting, as any other 9mm PCC I have shot (1 AR pattern, & an MPX,)
    In my hands the MP5 was both, more accurate, & more reliable...though the lack of modern controls, makes it slower for me to run as efficiently.
    Last edited by Bantee; 06-23-19 at 12:44. Reason: Left out info

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would absolutely never recommend a non-Hk roller delay if an hk is available at a reasonable price. Zenith and POF are licensed copies, but made in Germany by Germans they are not. Their QC/QA leaves much to be desired. Just as good as HK they are not. Made in Turkey or Pakistan will never be the equal of HK.

The SP5K is available and at a pretty reasonable price compared to what an SP89 cost before the SP5K was released. Add a B&T MP5K-N barrel, send to TSC Machine for barrel swap, paddle mag install, remark to MP5K-N, and refinish and you have an heirloom quality HK MP5K-N. The SP5K also has the F bolt head upgrades, a tungsten-filled carrier, and an ambi/Navy FBI type lower.

Re: ammo, my MP5-N and MP5K-N both eat any full power 9x19 so long as it’s not a truncated bullet. Speer Gold Dot 124gr and 147gr are my preferred carry loads and both of my MP5s feed/function great with both.

Maintenance is easy. I clean every 1000-1500 rounds. I used to go longer intervals but had so much carbon in the roller recessed of the trunion on my K-N that it was affecting bolt gap and giving me failures. The extractor spring design is the weak link in the MP5, so stock up on factory HK made extractor springs because when you remove the extractor spring you want to replace it per HK recommendations. You should not need different roller sizes any time soon unless you change your bolthead (don’t) or change your locking piece (#28 was designed for 147gr subsonic use, but is not a necessity imo unless you’re shooting fullauto). But it’s a good idea to pick up different rollers in anticipation of the future.

Recoil is negligible, less in my opinion than a Colt type AR15/M16 9mm.

Everyone needs at least one MP5. If you’re only going to own one, make it a German HK.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 06-23-19 at 18:31.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantee View Post
    I have an SP5K that has been sbr'd. If you can swing the cash...I would go HK. Two push pins are removed to swap stocks I went with the Choate folder. I'm running a mix of ETS & factory HK mags, both have been flawless.
    The paddle mag release from HK Parts is also a must have, it's expensive...but worth it..
    Buy +2, & +4 rollers, a few roller retaining plates, a few extra extractor springs...(remove, & clean under the extractor every 500 rounds or so) & shoot the bejeezus out of it.
    Mine handles JHP's with no issue, & is as soft shooting, as any other 9mm PCC I have shot (1 AR pattern, & an MPX,)
    In my hands the MP5 was both, more accurate, & more reliable...though the lack of modern controls, makes it slower for me to run as efficiently.
    So why not the Zenith Gun? It already has the paddle and 3 lug. I love HK shit but if someone does it better .....

O.P. look up Grand Thumb on you tube and see his review. Its pretty good.

If you need to say I have an HK, then buy an HK, otherwise buy a zenith.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-23-19 at 19:10.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    In my use of select fire MP5’s, I’ve found them to be lower recoil than Colt 9mm weapons. Ergos aside, its basically the only SMG that makes sense at all vs a 556 or BLK SBR. It just shoots so smooth, and is totally reliable, at least with NATO ball. Super controllable in auto. Very accurate.

The CMMG Guard has caught my eye, though, in hopes that it runs as smooth as the MP5, but with AR Manual of Arms.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    In regards to why the HK vis clones, JoshNC expounded upon the whys far better than I could of...I have no doubts that many of the clones are fantastic machines..in my case, I had the extra couple bucks, & I am an HK fan. I do think short of the rollmark, most clones will do a superb job.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    So why not the Zenith Gun? It already has the paddle and 3 lug. I love HK shit but if someone does it better .....

O.P. look up Grand Thumb on you tube and see his review. Its pretty good.

If you need to say I have an HK, then buy an HK, otherwise buy a zenith.

PB
    Turkish made will never be better than, nor the equal to German made. If you want a MKE, buy the MKE. But don’t for a moment consider it the equal of a German MP5.

The MKE has a paddle mag release and threaded/3-lug barrel. I wish HK had done the same. But I will still choose HK over MKE, POF, or any other. There are myriad reports of QC issues from both MKE and POF. The 3-lugs are also not timed. I would prefer to spend the extra cash and own the HK.

It’s not brand snobbery. I shoot my MP5s frequently and don’t baby them.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 06-23-19 at 22:17.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    I have both an HK MP5 94 and an HK MP5K SP89. They are neat nostalgia pieces. Mine are done right for their time but to me the MP5K-N is the way to go overall.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast