Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a complete upper and lower slapped together?

Feedback Score

Would you trust a complete upper and lower slapped together?

Recent talk about how many rounds it takes for one to trust their AR has gotten me thinking, because some have said that it takes them more rounds fired to trust a home build than a factory rifle.

I recently bought a complete BCM lower and a complete BCM upper w/ BCG and put them together. I have about 220 rounds through it with no issues, but would you trust this as much as a factory built rifle? Everything in the rifle is bone-stock, it's just that the complete upper and complete lower were purchased separately and mated together.

I've been considering making it my home defense rifle, but should I use one of my ARs complete from the factory instead?

Feedback Score
    No worries mate. Just use whichever gun you like best. My BCM is a complete lower and upper “slapped together “ and it works fine. And 200 flawless rounds is probably a good enough indication that the rifle is good to go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That IS a factory built rifle.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    Sure, putting together isn't that difficult and as long as you used quality parts it should be fine.
    The most common mistakes are putting the hammer springs backwards and the gas block coming lose.

Most manufacturers over gas their systems to make sure they run reliability so they don't have much of an advantage over the home builder who put it together properly.

Just keep running it and inspecting for damage or issues. If it continues to run without issues I'd say it's GTG.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Spend more time shooting and less time thinking about the IF-THEN flowchart of what MIGHT happen.

The military rebuilds M4/AR weapons all the time. If you think that pieces / parts 'stay together like they came from the factory', you are smoking crack.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    Exactly. Use with confidence.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    This.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Manufacturers, even those who do test fire their rifles or uppers, do not really have a way of knowing besides using quality parts that their rifle will run after 100/500/1000 rounds. There is always something which can break. With ARs in particular there is very little difference who assembled the rifle - an individual or a company, as long as (and this is critical) proper assembly methods and quality parts were used. Do you think any of the companies check dimensional tolerances besides upper/lower fit of assembled rifles?

With AKs that's a different story and I would never trust any home built AK or a smaller company. I would trust only with the currently unavailable Russian made (Tula/Izhevsk/Molot), Bulgarian Arsenal, or Rifle Dynamics one. I don't have any experience or knowledge with AKs from other countries (China/UAE/Egypt/etc.)

Same with the pistol: among larger brands Glock, Sig, HK, and some CZ are the only ones I would trust out of the box with little rounds to familiarize. I'd stay away from anything custom, 80% milled, or 1911 for professional use.

Recreational/Competition use is different story.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Recent talk about how many rounds it takes for one to trust their AR has gotten me thinking, because some have said that it takes them more rounds fired to trust a home build than a factory rifle.

I recently bought a complete BCM lower and a complete BCM upper w/ BCG and put them together. I have about 220 rounds through it with no issues, but would you trust this as much as a factory built rifle? Everything in the rifle is bone-stock, it's just that the complete upper and complete lower were purchased separately and mated together.

I've been considering making it my home defense rifle, but should I use one of my ARs complete from the factory instead?
    What do you think the they do all day at BCM?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I wouldn’t worry, OP. You should be fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast