Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a complete upper and lower slapped together?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    What do you think the they do all day at BCM?
    That was my thought when I read complete BCM upper and lower. A complete factory BCM may *may* have a better fit between the upper and lower than your gun does, but functionally there is nothing to worry about.

I effectively built an LMT SPM14 with a lightly used complete LMT upper and a complete LMT Defender lower. Saved a pretty penny doing it and ended up with a gun I can be rightfully proud of https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/spm14

The only thing you and I cannot do is honestly sell them as complete factory guns.

Andy

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The only thing you and I cannot do is honestly sell them as complete factory guns.

Andy
    But lets be honest, who here really has a 'complete factory gun' after owning an AR for more than a week?

New stocks, triggers, sights, buffer system, BCG, muzzle device, safety, rails, etc, etc, etc.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You should be good to go. But run it hard and clean it before it goes to your bedside. The hard part for me is to clean it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    But lets be honest, who here really has a 'complete factory gun' after owning an AR for more than a week?

New stocks, triggers, sights, buffer system, BCG, muzzle device, safety, rails, etc, etc, etc.
    I do. My 1999 Bushmaster M16A2-forgery is box stock after all this time.

And my 6920 that I bought months ago is box-stock, except I pulled off the Magpul BUIS rear sight and put on a carry handle.

So there are a few of us Cavemen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Use what helps you sleep soundly. That said, I have about 3,800 rounds through my BCM, which is really a complete BCM upper on a complete BCM blem lower. I added a Geissele trigger and an A5 buffer, but not because of any reliability reasons. The rifle has been flawless.

Just buy quality whatever you do.
    Last edited by MWAG19919; 06-23-19 at 22:14.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I do. My 1999 Bushmaster M16A2-forgery is box stock after all this time.

And my 6920 that I bought months ago is box-stock, except I pulled off the Magpul BUIS rear sight and put on a carry handle.

So there are a few of us Cavemen.
    I think he was making a funny. You know a brand new Colt, etc won't "run" if you don't put the whizbang parts on it, it is said here. Oh, I meant "slap" them on or better yet, "throw" them together.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    The AR 15 by design is modular. You can slap an upper and lower together at home or you can have the factory lovingly, gently attach them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    The AR 15 by design is modular. You can slap an upper and lower together at home or you can have the factory lovingly, gently attach them.
    As a good friend of mine said, "the Lego set for adults".

Feedback Score
    I have had one and only one incident where an upper wasn't completely functional with a lower.

I had two identical Colts in the 1990's and decided to swap uppers because I wanted the "nicer looking" components together for a safe queen and the "minor blemmed" upper and lower together for a shooter. Both uppers were 100% with their original lowers but had malfunctions after the swap. I never did figure out why but suspected Colt had "covered up" something out of spec on one of the rifles by substituting a different buffer or something. Back then I didn't know about gas port sizes, different buffer weights, etc., so I just assumed something was out of spec somewhere and put the two back together as they came from the factory.

Ever since then I've made it a practice to shoot 200-300 rounds through and upper/lower combo before calling it good.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    That was my thought when I read complete BCM upper and lower. A complete factory BCM may *may* have a better fit between the upper and lower than your gun does, but functionally there is nothing to worry about.

I effectively built an LMT SPM14 with a lightly used complete LMT upper and a complete LMT Defender lower. Saved a pretty penny doing it and ended up with a gun I can be rightfully proud of https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/spm14

Andy
    I don't really see why, as you and they put them together, push to pins, and done. If it were to different brands of upper and lower, maybe a consideration and perhaps some brands of uppers and lowers play nicer together than others, but I can't claim I have much experience in that area.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast