Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few months with a Surefire Stiletto

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

A few months with a Surefire Stiletto

I’ve been EDCing a Surefire Stiletto for a few months now, and using it frequently at work. This light is rechargeable, has a non-cylindrical shape, and comes with a clip. It charges via mini-USB, and comes with a high quality charger. It has two activation buttons and is programmable.

In default mode, the button on the side cycles constant low-med-high, and the tailcap button is momentary high-strobe. In mode 2, you get constant high-med-low and constant high. In use, it is a very handy light, that I would consider to be more utility oriented than tactical. It has lots of spill and little throw.

Battery life has been very good, and you never have to wonder about the battery level, because it has a charge level indicator light, green, yellow, red. Just turn it on every morning during your PCI/PCC routine.

It can be clipped to the bill of a hat. The plastic body can be held in your teeth without buying your dentist a new Benz. You can also put it inside a roll of medical tape on a table facing the ceiling and illuminate a room well enough to work. It is similar in size to a G19 mag or multitool, and can be carried in many already available pouches.

Now for the downside. That “HOT SURFACE” warning on the aluminum head is not kidding. The side button is very easily activated unintentionally. I have burned my leg while carrying it both in my “hands-in-pockets” pocket and in a cargo pocket. I have also melted a cigarette sized hole in a shirt while carrying it on my belt, and of course, burned myself. This light is probably best carried in kydex, which will reduce its utility somewhat. I may use epoxy to make a fence around the button.

https://imgur.com/a/8hhD0m3
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Good stuff. I’ve been on the fence about getting one for a few months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    My experience pretty much mirrors yours. I have not had a shirt or pocket turn into molten lava yet, but I did have it turn on in my pocket once. I noticed it pretty quick, even through a jeans pocket.

I am curious how long the lifespan will be for the rechargeable battery. II have a friend that is a wizard with all things lumens. When the power starts dropping off, I'll give it to her to wrench on. I'll make sure she takes pics of the process, and post them in this subforum.

I like the light. My faves right now are the Stiletto, and one of those Streamlight tiny USB rechargeables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I do have a battered old Surefire 6P with a Malkoff head that just refuses to die. It looks like it was accidentally kicked off a cliff.

Mainly because it was.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My experience pretty much mirrors yours. I have not had a shirt or pocket turn into molten lava yet, but I did have it turn on in my pocket once. I noticed it pretty quick, even through a jeans pocket.

I am curious how long the lifespan will be for the rechargeable battery. II have a friend that is a wizard with all things lumens. When the power starts dropping off, I'll give it to her to wrench on. I'll make sure she takes pics of the process, and post them in this subforum.

I like the light. My faves right now are the Stiletto, and one of those Streamlight tiny USB rechargeables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I do have a battered old Surefire 6P with a Malkoff head that just refuses to die. It looks like it was accidentally kicked off a cliff.

Mainly because it was.
    That kicked off a cliff 6p Malkoff is likely what I will go back to.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    That kicked off a cliff 6p Malkoff is likely what I will go back to.
    Yup, I loved those pocket clips that Raven Concealment came out with. I just added one of those, and use a good 18650 rechargeable battery. There was a dude in Tulsa, I think, that bored out the body to take the slightly bigger battery. He was on the Candlepower forum. He might still be there. Great job, I think he charged me $35? It's perfectly concentric, he did good work.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agree with all statements so far. With the exception of taking it to movie theaters, I will not carry this edc - that will always be a Surefire ‘Backup’. (And the Backup goes with me to theaters as well.). I use the Stilleto to go out with the dogs several times a night for yard duty - maybe 20-25 minutes run time per night. Lucky to get three nights before needing to recharge. Was hoping for more but good enough for my purposes. Love the wide throw of the beam. Gives me tunnel vision returning to any other Surefire flashlight. And yes - it DO GET HOT!!!! Gets hot recharging too. IMO - do so on a hard, safe surface and don’t leave home or do so overnight. YMMV

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Stiletto thoughts: GTG. Bright, broad, useful beam. Not a beam for focused spot at distance but very utilitarian. UI and body/tail switching is fine. Doesn't look like a fighting flashlight, non-combative appearance. Very flat in the pocket, light, easy carry. Polymer can be engraved to deter sticky fingers. Clip stays on a ball cap or gear. Recessed rear switch less compatible with some flashlight techniques, but others okay.

Want: lock-out switch, case color options, lanyard/biner attachment molded at the rear to lash light to gear, option to program body switch to be L/M/H level only.

The Stiletto didn't replace my EDCL1-T, but it is a constant companion. I have also been playing with ways to make it a more viable headlamp option.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    My Stiletto thoughts: GTG. Bright, broad, useful beam. Not a beam for focused spot at distance but very utilitarian. UI and body/tail switching is fine. Doesn't look like a fighting flashlight, non-combative appearance. Very flat in the pocket, light, easy carry. Polymer can be engraved to deter sticky fingers. Clip stays on a ball cap or gear. Recessed rear switch less compatible with some flashlight techniques, but others okay.

Want: lock-out switch, case color options, lanyard/biner attachment molded at the rear to lash light to gear, option to program body switch to be L/M/H level only.

The Stiletto didn't replace my EDCL1-T, but it is a constant companion. I have also been playing with ways to make it a more viable headlamp option.
    I’d like to lock out the side button.
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’d like to lock out the side button.
    I have given serious thought to opening it up and doing we wee bit of surgery with a pair of wire cutters. I never use the side button.

Feedback Score
    I love this light. I replaced my Lx2 lumax with it. It is more comfortable in the back pocket due to its flat design, feels good in the hand whether using the tactical switch or the utility button.

I have mine setup for high only on the tactical switch. My only gripe which isn’t the lights fault but having it in my back pocket I have noticed it turns on sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast