G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I'm Trying Out a New Carbine Light for "Inside the House"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    8,703
    Feedback Score
    0

    I'm Trying Out a New Carbine Light for "Inside the House"

    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ne...series-lights/

    I purchased one of these over the weekend, and mated it with this bayonet lug mount.

    https://www.botach.com/kley-zion-bayonet-lug-mount/

    The whole point was to have a lightweight light and mount for inside the house.

    Now, if the theory is to blind an intruder with your weapon light, then this is definitely NOT the way to go. It is just bright enough to illuminate the target, and the red dot sight's dot is visible with either the red or the while LED.

    Pros:

    1. Very lightweight.
    2. Out of the way unless you need it.
    3. Easy to activate.
    4. Brightness compatible to use with an RDS.


    Cons:

    1. I had trouble mounting it to the KZ mount. Either the light's rails are out of spec or the KZ rail is out of spec. I had to tap it on with a rubber mallet and it was obvious the the rail was shaving material from the light.
    2. I uses somewhat of an oddball battery (2016). I would have preferred is use a 2032 like the RDS.
    3. It is definitely not bright enough to blind an attacker.
    4. It does not appear it would survive very much abuse.



    I'm also keeping my eye open for a better, brighter alternative in the same sized package.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 06-24-19 at 10:24.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    746
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ne...series-lights/

    I purchased one of these over the weekend, and mated it with this bayonet lug mount.

    https://www.botach.com/kley-zion-bayonet-lug-mount/

    The whole point was to have a lightweight light and mount for inside the house.

    Now, if the theory is to blind an intruder with your weapon light, then this is definitely NOT the way to go. It is just bright enough to illuminate the target, and the red dot sight's dot is visible with either the red or the while LED.

    Pros:

    1. Very lightweight.
    2. Out of the way unless you need it.
    3. Easy to activate.
    4. Brightness compatible to use with an RDS.


    Cons:

    1. I had trouble mounting it to the KZ mount. Either the light's rails are out of spec or the KZ rail is out of spec. I had to tap it on with a rubber mallet and it was obvious the the rail was shaving material from the light.
    2. I uses somewhat of an oddball battery (2016). I would have preferred is use a 2032 like the RDS.
    3. It is definitely not bright enough to blind an attacker.
    4. It does not appear it would survive very much abuse.



    I'm also keeping my eye open for a better, brighter alternative in the same sized package.
    You just missed the PL-PRO flash sale. Would've been perfect size you were looking for but bright as hell.

    https://www.olightstore.com/pl-pro-valkyrie.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    8,703
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    You just missed the PL-PRO flash sale. Would've been perfect size you were looking for but bright as hell.

    https://www.olightstore.com/pl-pro-valkyrie.html
    Looks like a good suggestion. I had previously tried a Streamlight TLR3. Loved the size and weight but didn't think it was that abuse-proof.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    1,476
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Doc, thanks for posting your results. if you are looking for a lightweight relatively low output light that wonít wash your dot, consider the Inforce WML. Youíll get more overlap into the outdoor use in your other thread. Iím able to use one effectively with a LPVO.

    If you want all spill and little hotspot, but super durable, consider the Elzetta Alpha with flood lens. Its a very lightweight one cell light that youíll have a hard time breaking. My Bravo/flood reaches at least 75m and does not wash my Comp M4S dot at the setting it lives at.

    You can also try cutting a makeshift diffuser and attaching to whatever light you like, to cut the hotspot, but retain much of the output.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-24-19 at 13:04. Reason: Add

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    8,703
    Feedback Score
    0
    I remember hearing about some issues with the WML. Are they mostly a thing of the past?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    1,476
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I remember hearing about some issues with the WML. Are they mostly a thing of the past?
    I think I remember parasitic battery drain being something that was talked about.

    I have two. They both work well. Iíve never beat on them enough to find the limit of their durability. I did have to change the battery in my most used one, possibly due to parasitic drain, possibly just due to use. It was dead when I picked it up to check that it was still GTG. Last used about a week ago. Battery has been in it for about 6 months and used occasionally. Its on a backup rifle, but also did a couple years on a primary rifle.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-24-19 at 13:35. Reason: Add

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    608
    Feedback Score
    0
    I put a small navigation light on the MLOK rail of my Shockwave 870. The intention was to support a door breach or sneak and peek situation at home... I was really trying to find a use case of the Shockwave. Now I just have the bulky Surefire fore-end, that is plenty bright for a 50 yard maximum gun.

    60 lumens was a lot of light 20 years ago.
    Today people have thousands of lumens.
    Various schools of thought, but I think moderation is right for the house. My two story house’s maximum 80 foot dimension is lit up more than adequately with 250 lumens. 800 lumens works fine for warehouse searches.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    6,422
    Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ne...series-lights/

    I purchased one of these over the weekend, and mated it with this bayonet lug mount.

    https://www.botach.com/kley-zion-bayonet-lug-mount/

    The whole point was to have a lightweight light and mount for inside the house.

    Now, if the theory is to blind an intruder with your weapon light, then this is definitely NOT the way to go. It is just bright enough to illuminate the target, and the red dot sight's dot is visible with either the red or the while LED.

    Pros:

    1. Very lightweight.
    2. Out of the way unless you need it.
    3. Easy to activate.
    4. Brightness compatible to use with an RDS.


    Cons:

    1. I had trouble mounting it to the KZ mount. Either the light's rails are out of spec or the KZ rail is out of spec. I had to tap it on with a rubber mallet and it was obvious the the rail was shaving material from the light.
    2. I uses somewhat of an oddball battery (2016). I would have preferred is use a 2032 like the RDS.
    3. It is definitely not bright enough to blind an attacker.
    4. It does not appear it would survive very much abuse.



    I'm also keeping my eye open for a better, brighter alternative in the same sized package.
    The M300 has all of those pros and none of those cons for 0.2 pounds more.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    179
    Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Edited.
    Last edited by D.O.A.F.S.; 06-25-19 at 07:03.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I remember hearing about some issues with the WML. Are they mostly a thing of the past?
    They were prone to cracking around the threads due to them being plastic. The newer versions are reinforced now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •