Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Something You Grew Up With That Is Gone & Not Coming Back

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Made me think of one of the Sons of the Pioneers songs I cant get out of my head:

http://bobnolan-sop.net/Lyrics/Music...ter%20Down.mp3
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Old timey Horse Sense. Not common sense per se..THATS gone too..but just what the old timers called horse sense.
    They just seemed to "know" how to fix/handle/take care of about anything that happened or came along.
    When I spoke at my daddy's funeral..one thing I said about him was "he knew how to fix everything from a sick calf to a sick kid". Car, washer,carpentry, tractor, critters & kids, pop could mend them all. I MISS that. I have a little of it, not near as much as he and others of his generation and before did.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 06-24-19 at 21:05.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Attentive drivers

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    When I was a kid growing up out here, we used an open fire to heat the brands during round up. Now we use propane burners to heat the irons. A picture taken earlier this month:
    https://i.imgur.com/AYiV2mHh.jpg
    No Prince of Wales spurs?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well engineered toys like the Tandy Armatron.

VHS or even Betamax? I think it was called.

Naturally aspirated vehicle engines.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 06-24-19 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    No Prince of Wales spurs?
    Only if we were an English cattle operation. The jingling of the rowels lets you know it's a Western horse and cow outfit.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    ride you jetski with no reg and or other idiocy
    go ride your MX bike where ever
    shoot at the dump or local pit or where ever and no worries

neighbors talked
    kids went outside and were not bored all the time and could entertain themselves

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Shopping malls(they're circling the drain).
    Photo processing booths in grocery store and mall parking lots.
    Video rental stores.
    Soldier of Fortune magazine(it's still available in digital but it just ain't the same as the print edition)

Kids playing outside and roaming free. As somebody who spent my childhood outside, it pains me that it's summer right now and with the number of kids that live in the area I'm in, my two were the only ones outside playing today. Part of it is the number of kid piddlers seems to be much higher, or at least we know about them more than they did in the 80s when I was a kid, part of it is technology, and part of it is the parents fault.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I'd have to pick mall video arcades. In high school and the first year or two of college that was THE hangout until we were 21 and could go to bars. I met new friends and chicks there. It was "home base" for us to start our day and figure out what we were going to do. I think the last one in this area closed about 1992 or 1993.
    my Senior year this was huge I looked into how much the games were they were about 3k back then so had enough to buy one and that paid for another those two paid for 2 more and I kept expanding till I had grown a ton and got a huge arcade THEN the mob came and shut me down turns out its how they laundered money
    they were nice I guess the boss liked the kid who decided to buy then pay into them and allowed me to have up to 8 games or so in mom and pop shops but no big arcades for me hahahahah was quite the eye opener

so ended up having small arcades in a few towns actually made more doing that then the larger ones so that was cool

Feedback Score
    My good friend Chris. In Nov. '92 at 19 he was having girlfriend problems and figured his stepdads 9mm in the side of his head would take care of them. He was right, he no longer has girlfriend problems....or any other problems. If he only knew what he'd end up missing.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast