Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My .22 Beater - what can I do with this?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

My .22 Beater - what can I do with this?

Savage MkII FVSR
    Nightforce 4-14 Mil SHV F1
    Harris Bipod
    Boyds At-One stock
    Seekins 30mm Rings
    Butler Creek sling
    AAC Pilot 2 Suppressor

I wanted to build a .22 to give me something to do that wasn't $0.85 a pop 6.5CM match ammo or $0.60 a pop .223 match ammo. It's not really meant as a trainer, just something fun to mess with that is inexpensive now that .22LR ammo is cheap and plentiful again.

The thing is I haven't owned a .22LR in almost a decade. I chrono'd it and it's about 1070 FPS which gives me enough elevation in the scope to just barely get to 300y. If I dial and use the reticle I could get to 400 but I felt like there are more fun/practical uses for it within that range. What do you guys think?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    ... Shoot it?

You bought it, built it, and put in parameters on why and how it is to be used.

Either use it and when bored with that - tweak your parameters?

God Bless,

Brandon

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Shoot it how? From a bench? What kind of shooting do people do with 22s? What accuracy metrics should I strive for? At what distance? What are some challenging things I can do with a suppressed subsonic 22LR that I cant do with an AR?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Whack squirrels and wabbits. Go around bragging that you eat rodents erryday.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Where do you live? Prairie dog shooting, ground squirrels, stray vermin, etc.

Or, you could just sell it.

Feedback Score
    Don't you live near swamps full of things that deserve to die?

Didn't you pick up a wife and a few kids recently? Great platform for teaching kids to shoot...

Those 22lr 'tactical' matches are a hoot. Hoser's match here in CO even has moving targets..
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Paper gets boring. Go out and blast some tree rats or other vermin. Make it challenging and do it from distance. I just bought a Ruger Competition 10/22 to take out as many as the tree rats I can that are raiding my deer corn. My stand is almost 100 yards from my feeder. Going to be fun taking head shots at those little buggers from that distance!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a suppressed CZ 455 precision .22 trainer as well. I have some 2" spinner targets that I use. Also, a dueling tree at 100 meters is a lot of fun with a .22 bolt gun shooting man on man.

And ain't nothing like practicing your wind calls when pushing a 40-grain projectile. You're already pretty good at that, so the smaller projectiles would be a new challenge.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    There are some PRS-style 22 matches in this area that are a lot of fun. Typically most targets are between 50 and 200yds, with some as far out as 300. Lots of positional shooting at multiple targets, often at several different ranges within a stage (just like a centerfire precision rifle match).

There's also an NRL22 league with clubs in many areas of the country. It's the same style of shooting, plus some unsupported standing, kneeling, and prone with a sling. I think NRL22 specifies a max range of 100 yards.

I don't know what's available in your area, but your rifle would be perfect for something like that.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    There are some PRS-style 22 matches in this area that are a lot of fun. Typically most targets are between 50 and 200yds, with some as far out as 300. Lots of positional shooting at multiple targets, often at several different ranges within a stage (just like a centerfire precision rifle match).

There's also an NRL22 league with clubs in many areas of the country. It's the same style of shooting, plus some unsupported standing, kneeling, and prone with a sling. I think NRL22 specifies a max range of 100 yards.

I don't know what's available in your area, but your rifle would be perfect for something like that.
    Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. That would be a blast. I bought a bunch of Eley target and I am curious how this shoots - but I do still need to work on the trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast