Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My .22 Beater - what can I do with this?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    We have matches at a local range of which I have never attended. I have several nice .22's and I am challenged to enjoy shooting. I need to get off my poor perception and give this round a better chance. You can spend .30 a round for good match ammo, of which I have mucho. Yet you can buy cheap .22 that shoots well.

I just got my back cut on so .22 needs to be in my future.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. That would be a blast. I bought a bunch of Eley target and I am curious how this shoots - but I do still need to work on the trigger.
    Happy to help. I hope there's something in your area that you can get in on. I found an article about one of the matches near here (about 4 hrs drive from me, so a long weekend).

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...e-on-the-rise/

Those little savages generally shoot pretty well. A friend has one that likes CCI Standard Velocity, so he shoots that in practice and then switches to higher end ammo for matches (Midas, or maybe Center-X, I think). The CCI stuff is pretty heavy on the wax and does tend to gum up the gun, especially since his MKII seems to have a pretty tight chamber. I shoot mostly SK Plus out of my CZ455. I'm not serious enough about it to spend on ammo any better than that.

Rifle Basix sells a replacement trigger for the MKII, but I think there are also some tutorials floating around online for a DIY trigger job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We have matches at a local range of which I have never attended. I have several nice .22's and I am challenged to enjoy shooting. I need to get off my poor perception and give this round a better chance. You can spend .30 a round for good match ammo, of which I have mucho. Yet you can buy cheap .22 that shoots well.

I just got my back cut on so .22 needs to be in my future.

PB
    I love my 22s. I love the centerfire stuff more, but there is something magical about shooting plates at 200 yards with a 22lr. I'll bet you'd enjoy one of those matches though some of the positional stuff isn't always bad-back friendly.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 06-27-19 at 22:13.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I took it to 200y steel yesterday. My hold was 27 MOA. Or 54”

I also chronod my rounds.

Eley averaged 1080. CCI SV (which shoot very well) were 1050. American eagle was 1180 and golden bullet was 1250. CCI quiets were 730.

Those CCI quiets at 100 yards are so slow you can see the bullet in the air.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The gun is still light enough for shooting it like a 22 too. I think that, and as Pappabear mentioned, the 2.5c per round ammo is very appealing.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. That would be a blast. I bought a bunch of Eley target and I am curious how this shoots - but I do still need to work on the trigger.
    I have a CZ 455 and have been testing ammo. But only so far at 25 -50 yards. Just to get some general ideas.

Best Ammo:
    Winchester wildcat -- now this was an old box adn it was white with orange print. I haven't been able to buy some of the new to see if it's the same.
    Winchester SuperX red plastic box
    CCI MiniMAG

Good Ammo
    Fed Gold Medal Match -- this was old too. White box blue print
    Aguila SubSonic - Yellow box --- **** This ammo shoots HIGH... don't ask me why but I had about 10-12 different ammo and it landed on the target above the target I was shooting at. 8.5x11 piece of paper with multiple targets... it landed 3" high but a nice group.
    Geco 22lr RIFLE SILVER
    Geco Match GOLD
    Eley CLUB Orange

Not Good ammo: - I would not call what this stuff did would actually be called a group.
    Browning Perf Target
    CCI Quiet
    Federal Target Gold Medal ORANGE BOX -- not same as Gold Medal above
    Federal P??? Match.. can't read my writing. looks like it starts with letter P
    Federal HiPower - red box
    Remington Thunderbolt - Green box bulk
    S&B Subsonic
    Geco Semi-Auto - ORANGE

If I had to pick 2 for my rifle regardless of cost.
    Winchester SuperX
    CCI MiniMag
    In Subsonic it would be
    Aguila Sub but it does not group at 50 yards like the above.

Feedback Score
    What can you do with it? Looks like you could pick off a lot of critters with it.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I have a CZ 455 and have been testing ammo. But only so far at 25 -50 yards. Just to get some general ideas.
    I also have a 22lr CZ 455. I shoot it at 110 yards almost every other day with cheap Winchester 36 grain, experimenting has shown me it's about as good as anything else.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That’s a beater .22? I wonder what you would call my 35 year old Marlin 60 that has a gazillion rounds through it.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Good shooting!

Altus in Baker FL is doing an NRL 22 series:

https://www.altusshooting.com/produc...udoo-gun-works

That may be a bit of a drive for you, but I think you've mentioned shooting a centerfire match there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12