Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with these two free colts with welded chambers.

Feedback Score

What would you do with these two free colts with welded chambers.

The back story is I helped my uncle move his gun collection fro CT to GA where they are retiring. In payment he gave me a Colt AR-15 A2 HBAR Sporter and a Sporter Match HBAR. The wrinkle is that at some point the were both "Demilitarized" via a bead of weld in the chamber. Both are slab sides and have the screw in instead of a front takedown pin and fixed carry handle. The welds look to have not affected the integrity of the upper on visual inspection and I believe the barrel was removed to put the bead in.

My thoughts are;
    1. Replace the barrels which are both marked C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR. With a new colt barrel assembly.
    2. Buy 2 PSA/FN 20" barrels then take it to someone to drill the FSB holes.
    3. See if the weld can be removed.

What would you guys do? With a few 6920's and 6933's and other AR's these will be low in the list as far as range time goes so I would prefer to keep them as original as possible. Also I don't know squat about the HBAR.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Can you have the weld reamed out? Not sure why someone would de-mil a civilian AR.

Being that they're Large take down pin, I really would probably make them wall hangers before pouring a ton off money or effort into them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    My thoughts as well. I figured $150-$200 each to have them operational is all I would put into them. Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Replace the barrels, if the uppers aren't too damaged. Easiest and cheapest way, I think.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dont know, but would the weld affect the heat treat at all?

Feedback Score
    I agree. Replace the barrels if you can do it inexpensively and make them shooters.

Feedback Score
    What about this? $200 per and they shoot.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...1=20%2522%7c20

Feedback Score
    My guess is yes on the heat treating.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Looked it up, 3000-20000c on tig around 6500f on arc(tip), I would replace the barrels.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Before you start dicking with it, find out if they're preban in CT. Maybe you can melt some snowflakes and put them back into circulation up there (if legal).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast