Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: looking to get into reloading?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That’s a good starter kit- I still have my RCBS single stage and it gets a lot of use. If I were doing again, though, I’d get the Redding T-7 with multiple die holders. More money but it may save you from a progressive press in the long run depending on your volume.

I prefer to lube en mass with a spray (homemade or factory Dillon) or use Imperial Sizing wax for just a few rounds

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You can get good results with a powder thrower depending on the type of powder used but for your bolt, which I assume are used in a more precise role, use a powder trickler. Also, calipers and a chronograph are essential reloading tools, in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You will also need a way to trim cases as they grow. IMO even if you get a Dillon a single stage press is useful, prepping 1000 cases with crimped primers is going to be easier on a Rockchucker.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 06-26-19 at 07:17.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... one shot is worthless. Dillon Case lube (lanolin/I P alcohol) is really good.

I agree on the 550 suggestion, but you'll always want a single stage too. So no downside to getting that first.

You can buy the Hornady primer pocket reamer for a fraction of a Super-Swager... like 20 bucks or so. I ditched my super swager many years ago. Hated it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How to use Hornady One Shot:
    Put brass in a 1 gallon plastic zip lock bag, zip it 3/4 closed, then spray oneshot into the bag like you are trying to kill wasps, quickly zip the bag closed, and finally roll the cases around in the bag.

Reuse the bag, and replace as needed...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah... one shot is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullretard View Post
    How to use Hornady One Shot...

Somebody please pass the popcorn...

My sample of one: Dillon's lube (or generic lanolin and alcohol) is idiot proof.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I love popcorn, please tell me it is buttery popcorn!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

For what it's worth, I've heard that people have had acceptable results with the aerosol version of one shot. The pump is horrible as a lube and is a muther fudger to get off the brass.

As Bimmer said... DCL is idiot proof and tumbles right off of the brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/hornady_case_lube.html

Some people swear by this product, while others swear at it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NYH1,

The linked kit is a good starting point, however I have a different suggestion.

Suggestion:
    Research and write out a plan on how you want to reload for each caliber. Different calibers may require different steps/tools. Detail out each step thoroughly and determine what tools you will need. You can then cross check each list with other reloaders to determine if you can improve your process/tools or ask for specific recommendations. This can help you save money up front by not buying items you later find out are unnecessary and identify tools/items that can be used for multiple calibers. I'll give you an example below.

The following is intended as a suggestion and is not provided as an end-all-be-all solution for reloading. YMMV

Raptor's Markm262
    1. Deprime range pick up brass
    -Need: brass, Lee hand press with Lee universal depriming die, .223 shell holder, buckets/sorting bins

2. Initial brass cleaning
    -Wet tumble (no pins) with automotive car wash soap/wax and lemishine followed by brass drying
    -Need: wet tumbler, brass, car was soap/wax, lemishine, brass dryer

3. Sort and initial inspection of brass
    -Pull Lake City (LC) brass cases from all others and separate brass in labelled bins
    -Need: sorting bins, magnifying glass, sharpie, masking tape

4. Lube brass
    -Need: Homemade case lube, recycled plastic container with lid, Lake City brass

5. Size brass
    -Full length size with carbide expander ball removed, followed by dedicated neck sizing die
    -Need: Reloading press, .223 shell plate, Dillion .223 sizing die (expander ball removed but depriming pin left installed), RCBS .223 neck sizing die, LC brass, sorting bins

6. Case prep (Trim, remove crimp, chamfer) and second visual inspection
    -LC brass is trimmed using Frankford trimmer, primer pocket reamed, and case neck chamfered inside and outside
    -Need: Frankford Arsenal Case Prep Center, Hornady primer pocket reamer (installed on Case Prep Center), case neck chamfer inside and outside (installed on Case Prep Center), LC brass, sorting bins

7. Vibratory tumble brass (Optional: or repeat Step 2)
    -LC brass is cleaned a second time to remove case lube, shine cases, and remove any residual brass particles from trimming. Brass is separated from media using a small plastic slotted hand shovel
    -Need: vibratory tumbler, corn cob/crushed walnut media, brass polish (optional), LC brass, sorting bins, plastic hand shovel with slots

9. Load brass (prime, powder throw, seat projectile, and crimp)
    -Brass is prepped and ready to load. Progressive press allows all of the listed steps above to be performed in one step on the press)
    -Need: Reloading press, .223 shell plate, LC brass, CCI primers, H322 powder, 77 SMKs, Forester micrometer .223 seating die, Lee .223 Factory Crimp Die, sorting/storage bins, labels, sharpie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast