Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul Gen2 vs Gen3 PMAGS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    I have a lower that does exactly this. If I insert it on a tilt it by passes the bolt catch. The bolt catch is from bcm. I believe the lower is out of spec. All other magazines work fine.
    Hey dude, have you tried using that same magazine that bypasses in a different lower? I've concluded that my bolt catch and lower were actually fine. The PMAGs I got were defects. Take a look at the magazine follower, does it stick out the feed lips more than normal? Take a look at the pic I've attached. The black pmag is good and the tan one is bad, notice the follower sticking out and tilting.IMG_20190625_230151.jpg
    Last edited by SHERWINVILLARETE; 06-27-19 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    I've experienced this problem before a couple times. In both instances a colt bolt catch solved the problem.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHERWINVILLARETE View Post
    Hey dude, have you tried using that same magazine that bypasses in a different lower? I've concluded that my bolt catch and lower were actually fine. The PMAGs I got were defects. Take a look at the magazine follower, does it stick out the feed lips more than normal? Take a look at the pic I've attached. The black pmag is good and the tan one is bad, notice the follower sticking out and tilting.IMG_20190625_230151.jpg
    Curious, do you think it's the mag body, or a defective follower, causing that condition.

You know how you can use the Pmag dust cover to gauge feed lip spread/damage, does that mag pass the test?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Curious, do you think it's the mag body, or a defective follower, causing that condition.

You know how you can use the Pmag dust cover to gauge feed lip spread/damage, does that mag pass the test?
    ITS NOT the body. How do I know? I switched followers with a known good gen 3 and it started working fine. All the ones that kept bypassing the catch all had ****ed up followers and the it's apparent from the photo.

Magpul was going to send me new followers untill they found out I'm from California LMAO. I ended up modifying the bad followers to make them work. The good gen 3s works out fine tho, perfect actually
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SHERWINVILLARETE; 06-28-19 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    Do you have any dust covers? Just to be sure, check the feed lip spacing to see if they are in spec. The top front surface of the dust cover is a gauge.

ITS NOT the body. How do I know? I switched followers with a known good gen 3 and it started working fine. All the ones that kept bypassing the catch all had ****ed up followers and the it's apparent from the photo.

Feedback Score
    Oh, never mind. Already mentioned.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Roget that, maybe they'll send you some good followers and those mags can be saved!

Feedback Score
    Roget that, maybe they'll send you some good followers and those mags can be saved!
    LMAO they won't because I'm from California. My mags were legally bought during "freedom week". I ended up modifying the followers.

This picture shows the good(black). And the bad(Coyote tan)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Just check mags and 6 out of 7 have the follower sticking out of body. Looks like I will call magpul Monday. Also magpul discontinued using the dust cover as a guage.
    Last edited by monkeywrench; 06-29-19 at 11:18. Reason: Add text

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    Just check mags and 6 out of 7 have the follower sticking out of body. Looks like I will call magpul Monday. Also magpul discontinued using the dust cover as a guage.

And did those mags miss the bolt catch or have the least surface contact with bolt catch when the hammer is back?

I can put money on it that the reason why you're having the same problem is because of the defective mags. Maybe thats why all the other mags you have works just fine. Your lower and BCM bolt catch are just fine, magpul just messed up on QC.

I was shocked at first how the fudd the gen3s are worse than the gen 2s but like I said they were defective. I tried good gen3s and I can say that they're really better than the gen 2s in terms of surface contact with the bolt catch.

Good luck dude keep me updated lol
    Last edited by SHERWINVILLARETE; 06-29-19 at 15:47.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast