Thread: Options for a lightweight mid-range hunting scope

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Options for a lightweight mid-range hunting scope

Looking for ideas or feedback on scopes for a lightweight GP/hunting rifle. Just got a Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor, looking for new lightweight glass. Practical upper range is 600 yards (my local range), real world hunting shots in my area are less than half of that.

Features:
    * Magnification maximum: anything from 9x-12x
    * Objective: anything 32-42mm, trying to keep lower weight and height
    * Ranging: mil/mil
    * Illumination: nice to have
    * FFP: nice to have
    * Reticle: etched glass, prefer something like a MRAD or TMR with non-caliber-specific hash marks (no BDC types)
    * Weight: < 22oz, prefer around 16oz
    * Price range: $500 - $1200.

A few options that come close:
    * Normally a huge Vortex fan, but most Vortex that met my other reqs were too heavy. Also the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 is tempting, but MOA only.

* Leupold VXR Patrol scope 3-9x40, mil/mil illum. Firedot TMR ($600)
    * IOR 3-10x42, illum MRAD.
    * SWFA 3-9x42, no illum.
    * Sightron 3.5-10x44, no illum.

I've had good luck before with an IOR scope, and my Leupy scopes have all been excellent. In this list, the IOR comes the closest to having everything, but the Leupy is lightest and low profile, also lower cost.

Input on these options? Others I should look at?
    Last edited by maximus83; 06-26-19 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You can find gently used NF NXS 2.5-10x32’s within your budget or the 42mm for maybe a little more than $1200. Bushnell LRTS’s are also very nice and offer FFP but are heavier. I’ve used all of these and settled on the 42mm NF with MIL-R for my lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor. I also have a Vortex Razor HD LH on a 6.5 Grendel- very nice piece of glass and currently very cheap as I believe they are being discontinued. MOA or BDC are the only reticle options, though

Feedback Score
    There are so many options these days that it's almost too many to list. But check out the post I just submitted on the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP. Comes in at the high end of your weight requirement and with the exception of illumination would fit your other needs.

Be Safe

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^True that, about the many options. Here's an example of one that checks all the boxes, but I didn't put in my original list because it's (a) unknown to me, and (b) made in China. That doesn't automatically make it bad, lots of decent stuff or components are made in China. But you have to check before you buy. I've seen a few positive reviews of this brand and this particular scope and the feature set looks good, but no idea about glass and construction quality.

Atibal 1-10x30, FFP, illum. 21oz. $800.

Feedback Score
    I know you said max weight of 22 oz and max magnification of 12x, but the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15 is hard to beat for the quality in your price range, with MRAD, FFP, illumination, good glass, and high quality turrets. It would be around 6oz heavier than your limit however.

If weight is a major concern, it seems like the Leupold might be the best option from your list, and it's half the price of the IOR. I also have an SWFA SS 3-15 and it's an awesome scope for the money. If I were picking from your list my first choice would be the SWFA. I've heard good things about Sightron, but haven't spent much time behind one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well I already found a good deal, had to go $100 over budget, but this is the lightweight scope of my dreams. Found it on sale for $300 less than most places I saw; at that price it was a live option.

Leupold VX-6HD, 2-12x42 (free CDS windage dial)

Has some nice specs and reviews, and super lightweight at 16.9oz. I had to compromise on the mil/mil thing, but I like the clean simple lighted reticle with the 1/4 MOA hash marks, and otherwise this scope had everything I was looking for.

Ordered some Talley lightweight low mounts to go with the scope. Hopefully it'll have enough clearance but based on a quick call to Leupold, I expect it will given the T3x Lite has a sporter barrel.

Feedback Score
    $1,400 new is a heck of a deal on that Leupold. That's a quality optic. Well played Sir.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes it was, actually found this for $1299 at B&H Photo, and now today the TMOA reticle ones look like they are gone already, so they went fast at that price. Checked for comparison at SWFA and Midway for example, the TMOA reticle version still listed at $1599.

Look forward to getting this one set up.