Thread: Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP Scope

Feedback Score

Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP Scope

I couldn't find any information here on this scope back when I was doing my research so thought I'd share now that I have some time behind it.

I picked up the 6-24x50 MOA version new for $350 on Amazon. For that price I was willing to just roll the dice. I was looking for something to put on a .224 Valkyrie that I'd put together. Just a range toy....not a defensive weapon or battle implement....just for punching holes in paper, prairie dogs and coyotes. I new it was made in China and I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I was really wrong. This scope surprised me quite a bit.

Let's start with construction. It is very solid...no tool marks or blemishes. Very substantial...the glass is fully multi-coated. The turrets are excellent....very good tactile and audible click adjustments. And the zero reset was a nice touch on a scope in this price range. I was handling it side by side with my Nightforce SHV and it was certainly on par with what I consider to be a very good medium/moderate priced scope. Once I got it mounted I found the eye relief to be very good. That was my biggest worry. Eye relief on cheap scopes usually sucks....but the Diamondback Tactical has plenty of eye relief. The only thing I noticed is that if I didn't hold my head right when at high power I got a little distortion around the outside of my field of view. But once I got a feel for how to hold my head it disappeared. This was really my only beef with the scope. The EBR reticle is excellent and I already knew I'd like it because it's on my much higher priced Vortex Viper PST. I got it sighted in very short order. It tracks very well. Sure it would be nice to have an illuminated option but for $350 I'm not complaining. Bottom line is that IMHO, this scope is on the same level as scopes in the $500 to $800 range. I've run Nikon Monarchs, Bushnell Forge and Engage lines, Vortex Viper and some of the Leupold VX line that were not any better than this scope. You may disagree, but if you're like me you can't afford a $1500 to $3000 scope on every rifle. With the exception of early morning or late evening lighting conditions, I expect this scope to perform excellently in the field.

That's my take.....YMMV.

Be Safe

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The LGS I work at has sold a truckfull of these scopes and we haven’t had any complaints. For the price I don’t know if you can get better
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought one, its NO SHV NF scope. But for $350 they are nice cheap scopes to put on a toy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    A friend of mine picked one up. It’s a LOT of scope for $350.