G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Which is more reliable?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    575
    Feedback Score
    0
    Due respect, Rodan, but your hunting instructor was hopelessly wedded to his Winchester thuty-thuty.
    Can we not restart the whole AR-unreliability thing? All my Colts have run 100%, including the one the Gummint was kind enough to give me in 1970. I never had to run thru' the jungle with mine, but I did shoot the hell out of it; never one failure. Never was trained to download two, and have never done so. Many here would attest to the same.
    No personal experience with the S&W; if yours misbehaves, send it to Smith or move on.
    Best,
    Moon

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    783
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When ever I hear someone say: "AR's are unreliable". It tells me; 'they dont shoot guns'.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    5,197
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by

    [video=youtube;Lap8cmxJHTU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lap8cmxJHTU[/video]
    Cool video. Hey guys, what is the finger groove inside the carry handle?
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    26,115
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    When ever I hear someone say: "AR's are unreliable". It tells me; 'they dont shoot guns'.
    Retards being allowed to spec Gas Ports is the single largest reason for modern day AR un-reliability babble. Gassing the gun right will even allow for non-spec, sub-par components to run pretty good.

    There's a lot of LWRCi-esque trash out there, and a lot of guys just don't know the difference... and the whole platform gets lumped together in their minds.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OUTPOST 31
    Posts
    8,761
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Retards being allowed to spec Gas Ports is the single largest reason for modern day AR un-reliability babble. Gassing the gun right will even allow for non-spec, sub-par components to run pretty good.

    There's a lot of LWRCi-esque trash out there, and a lot of guys just don't know the difference... and the whole platform gets lumped together in their minds.
    Classic markm LWRCi hate

    Vintage M4C right there lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Answer The Bell...” J.W.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,233
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodan1957 View Post
    Whether 10,000 rounds or one round, I clean my weaponry after every firing session. Also. My 1980 WV DNR safe hunting instructor told us the SP-1 AR-15 is not recommended because of reliability issues. Therefore, I'm with top cocker as more reliable than SP-1, too. This from a whom a guy considers a stock M&P 15 Sport 2 as a D grade rifle, also.
    Pure poppycock. This instructor was an idiot and certainly severely uneducated in regard to the SP1 and the AR-15 platform in general. I have a feeling he heard stories of the M16s jamming early on in Vietnam. As many know, this was attributed to the weapons not being cleaned as the soldiers had no clue that the weapons needed to cleaned, especially in the jungle environment. Less malfunctions occurred after they starting cleaning them. There has NEVER been an issue with the SP1 jamming unless it was associated with the ammo being used.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

    USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004
    Oath Keeper member
    III% United Patriots member

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    1,627
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodan1957 View Post
    Whether 10,000 rounds or one round, I clean my weaponry after every firing session. Also. My 1980 WV DNR safe hunting instructor told us the SP-1 AR-15 is not recommended because of reliability issues. Therefore, I'm with top cocker as more reliable than SP-1, too. This from a whom a guy considers a stock M&P 15 Sport 2 as a D grade rifle, also.
    What happens to your rifle if you don’t clean it after a low volume use?

    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    When ever I hear someone say: "AR's are unreliable". It tells me; 'they dont shoot guns'.
    Yup.
    RLTW

    “That is why there isn't an AK chart.” -SteyrAUG
    “They eat tide pods also so what's your point?” Retrorevolver77

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    575
    Feedback Score
    0
    More guns worn out by over-cleaning than over-shooting. Keep that AR wet and it will run damn near forever.
    Even worse, clean guns don't get shot; that would make 'em dirty, fer pity's sake!
    Even better news; a wet AR is easier to clean than a dry one; keeps the carbon soft.
    That was a piece of information we were denied in basic; there was no special emphasis on lubrication, tho' we were encouraged to keep our rifles clean, but not white-gloves clean.
    My rifle in basic was an M16dashnothing; the last twelve guys issued it left carbon that could scarcely be removed with a cold chisel. But it ran fine, and shot fine.
    Moon

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    575
    Feedback Score
    0
    More guns worn out by over-cleaning than over-shooting. Keep that AR wet and it will run damn near forever.
    Even worse, clean guns don't get shot; that would make 'em dirty, fer pity's sake!
    Even better news; a wet AR is easier to clean than a dry one; keeps the carbon soft.
    That was a piece of information we were denied in basic; there was no special emphasis on lubrication, tho' we were encouraged to keep our rifles clean, but not white-gloves clean.
    My rifle in basic was an M16dashnothing; the last twelve guys issued it left carbon that could scarcely be removed with a cold chisel. But it ran fine, and shot fine.
    Moon

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    656
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Retards being allowed to spec Gas Ports is the single largest reason for modern day AR un-reliability babble. Gassing the gun right will even allow for non-spec, sub-par components to run pretty good.

    There's a lot of LWRCi-esque trash out there, and a lot of guys just don't know the difference... and the whole platform gets lumped together in their minds.
    This sounds reasonable and explains a lot of talk about unreliability. I saw a picture of an AR 10 with the top charger and kinda upside down trigger mechanism and I have to say it looked cool. But you are locked into a carry handle then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •